Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Removed the wrap today. Almost wasn't worth it getting covered in fiberglass again. You live and you learn I guess.

Since my engine is trans is raised, there are some areas of the header that are closer to the rear apron than stock would be. Next longer drive I'll take a temp reading of the apron. Then I'll compare it to another reading after installing some sort of heat shield (whatever I can fit in the smaller space).
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

something like a TDI or 1.8t from early-mid 2000 vw's have easily accessible heat shields to grab. And they are to keep turbo heat down too, so should be pretty good. More than enough for standard exhaust heat.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Making your own heat shield, or repurposing one from another car, is better in that there is still an air gap between the exhaust AND the apron.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Header wrap no, a heat shield would be great though. A quick trip through a junk yard for a heat shield from a modern car would be great. They typically use either a multi-layered aluminum or aluminum/fiber matrix that is easily formed by hand that could used between the exhaust & body work.

To stick with using rolls of stuff for "racecars" lol, what do you guys think about some of that gold reflective heat tape like this under the apron?

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010394-High-Temperature-Reflective/dp/B0039Z5TUY

Definitely more expensive than a junk yard heat shield
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I primarily saw it on dedicated track cars, the wrap would isolate heat on the pipes & cause the metal to fail at a molecular level, the headers would literally crumble by tapping them with your keys after a few events.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

asiab3 wrote:
I might entertain a straight stretch of wrap on manifolds 2 & 4 directly under the apron. Nothing like checking your oil at a gas stop and burning your forearm on the apronÖ

BTDT,
Robbie

Header wrap no, a heat shield would be great though. A quick trip through a junk yard for a heat shield from a modern car would be great. They typically use either a multi-layered aluminum or aluminum/fiber matrix that is easily formed by hand that could used between the exhaust & body work.

Or... with Trashman's mad fab skills...

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
I haven't heard that before. I've definitely heard of header wrap retaining moisture causing premature rust. I've ran header wrap before on water-cooled cars before for years without any cracking issues. Have you had issues with it causing cracking TDCTDI?

I had heard the rust as well, but never the fatigue failure. Can you link where you found the issue with the failure due to heat cycle?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I might entertain a straight stretch of wrap on manifolds 2 & 4 directly under the apron. Nothing like checking your oil at a gas stop and burning your forearm on the apronÖ

BTDT,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Just read a post from Wild Bill seeing his rather extreme example of header failure due to wrap. I think I'll be removing the wrap. Thanks TDCTDI from getting me to look into it more.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I haven't heard that before. I've definitely heard of header wrap retaining moisture causing premature rust. I've ran header wrap before on water-cooled cars before for years without any cracking issues. Have you had issues with it causing cracking TDCTDI?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

That header wrap works too well, it retains too much heat & causes the pipes to become brittle & crack really quickly. Expect metal failure in 6-12 months.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Long overdue but better late than never. Got some headers for the bus. Of course they bolted right on but hung too low for my application. Nothing a little heat and persuasion couldn't fix Wink I have a single glasspack on it that I cut the tailpipe off and welded on a new section to exit the side of the bus, tucked up near the body right in front of the bumper. Did it now prepping for the new motor. Still working on it as the parts roll in as I can afford them. Things are looking good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

arg1970 wrote:
Dude you're bus is so sick keep it up do you have an Instagram for it ?
I do! I have it linked in my signature on my posts
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Loving this build!
1965 Manxish buggy (kids car)
arg1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Dude you're bus is so sick keep it up do you have an Instagram for it ?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Far from retired here. Don't have kids yet so thats where all my time comes I suppose. I still don't have a ton of time being that I have my regular job as well as I'm about to finish getting two BA degrees and I'm now starting to work out business stuff and patents to try and get a business off the ground for myself. I think the main reason I'm able to get so much done is a lot of careful planning so when it comes time to do something, I have everything I need and already know the possible hold-ups I might encounter and have a plan ready to solve it.
erwinsm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I respect your talent with this build !! Please tell me that you are retired . The amount of time put in this build is just phenomenal !! I have a full time job and kids . That says it all .That is why my 68 Bay is still stock .
JoinTheRukus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

One hell of a build thread Trashman! Thank you for sharing and documenting the details.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Lose the wire mesh stone guards over the headlights & the visibility will get even better.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

No more work on the heater since last time I updated, but I've been up to a little bit. I did a Hella E-code H4 conversion a week or two ago, and between the conversion and a proper headlight alignment the difference is... night and day. Wish I would have done this one way sooner. I wish I could have gotten some before and after shots but my camera just wasn't able to do it. Here they are installed at least.

I also finally got some real air filters on the carbs rather than those more race style, velocity stack filters. I'm collecting parts for an engine build and I definitely am going to want to protect all those new parts. I haven't adjusted the carbs yet to work well with the better filters yet, but I did take a test drive just to see if I could actually feel a difference, and boy could I.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Thank you for being the first person to give me shit! I can't believe that it has taken this long! In all seriousness I genuinely appreciate the feedback. But I am curious in what you're disagreeing with me on. The fact that a broken pot in my system puts it into manual control mode or that I haven't heard of someone with this system have a pot go bad that wasn't due to improper installation?

I appreciate your insight and experience but the way I see it is that every type of suspension on a car has its pro's and con's. In my scenario, the pro's for air suspension outweighed the con's for it. I am still very aware in how the system works, and know what things to maintain and check-up on.

With regards to water in the system, I have my compressors intake inside of the bus where there shouldn't be any more moisture than what is normally in the air. To combat this I have water traps in-line before the valves, which I empty often. I also do not see freezing temps where I live. Starting the bus with dual carbs without chokes in that temperature is more of an issue at that point.

You misunderstood me. Not giving you shit, just advice on what failures Iíve seen with Air Suspension once itís in service for some years.
Pros and cons on all suspension designs, yes. If it works for you , congratulations.
Give us feedback once you have a few years on the system.
Last thing, keep an eye out for Rodents or Mice chewing on your height sensor wiring or any plastic air tubing if you have the flexible plastic tubing to the springs. Seems to be more of a problem for us with stored vehicles or when food gets scarce in the area for the rodents, so they pick on your car.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: