Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck"
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

Since this bus is still sort of new to me, I thought it might be best to remove the oil strainer to at least see if there's any sludge in it or other stuff.

I have removed the plug, but the cover is stuck on. I assume a PO used RTV or some such sealant.

Frankly, it doesn't leak so part of me is of the ilk that I should just put the plug back in and call it a day. I'm aware of the sensitivity of this plug and the damage it can cause if I tighten it too much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should I just leave well enough alone or should I try and get that cover off?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

Two flat blade screwdrivers on opposite sides of the strainer plate.

I find it interesting that over they years (when I was a youngster) that having a strainer plate made no sense at time went on. Technology progressed and the need for those made no sense. Yet, if you do an oil change on an old school VW, the need to take that out and clean it up is not an issue today (same for flat 6 911's). Yet we feel the need to do it.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

I find it interesting that over they years (when I was a youngster) that having a strainer plate made no sense at time went on. Technology progressed and the need for those made no sense. Yet, if you do an oil change on an old school VW, the need to take that out and clean it up is not an issue today (same for flat 6 911's). Yet we feel the need to do it.

Thanks for the tip. So, you don't think it's necessary? I genuinely don't know.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

I like to do it once on a new to me vehicle, but after that regular oil and filter changes are all it needs.

You are fully aware of the torque requirements for that, right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

Yep! 9 ft-lbs max.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
jjvincent wrote:

Thanks for the tip. So, you don't think it's necessary? I genuinely don't know.

Back in the day, oil was crap. Thus you'd see sludge there. For a flat 6 911, it was to look for the timing chain guide rails that would break off the ends and then end up at the strainer.

Today, strainer plates are gone. Even in 1983.5 for the 911SC, they eliminated it. No other car out there has them any more. There's a reason. Not necessary today. Oil is better and you have a filter. This is not some old motor without a filter yet VW decided to stick with it.

I did tons of those oil changes on 914's and we had to take that strainer plate off. I never pulled the drain plug just let the strainer plate hole do the trick (I was using a hoist and a proper oil pan). Because usually some dude rounded off the drain plug and it was not worth it going down that path.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

Coming back to this - per the advice given here, 2 screwdrivers worked great.

Bottom of the cover had a good amount of sludge but nothing catastrophic. Inside looked great.

New strainer and gaskets installed, fastener tightened to 9ft-lbs.

Glad I checked it because now I know, but I doubt I'll ever go into this area again unless the gaskets leak.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Strainer Cover "Stuck" Reply with quote

Just two reasons to do it.
1. new to you bus, as an indicator of upcoming internal issues. (metal shards)
2. Your own bus, at 800-1,200 miles post rebuild. For same reason. To see if it's shedding large metallic chunks.
Beyond the above, there's not any reason other than to check for possible inlet blockage. Which never happens. But I'm sure someone will post their unique story hereabouts. .... .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: