Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

I actually have 2 new addresses, one in Vancouver Washington, the other Portland, so I figure there is probably a preferred state to be registered in.

In Vegas I had it registered with "classic" plates, no emissions testing. Emissions isn't a problem, I've got Andrew's reversed 1.8t, I'm just attracted to the easy way of doing things.... easy and cheap is good, right?

Any suggestions?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

As a Washington resident, I'll tell you to go with Oregon ALL DAY LONG. I don't remember the specifics on Oregon, but I do believe that you can register for 2 years at a time, and I know that it's a PITTANCE of what you'll pay in Washington.
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

The issue with registering in Oregon is that you may be required to register your Westy as a motorhome. This changes the fee's, insurance and of course your AAA coverage.

My previous Westy was a car and my new Westy is a motorhome. Once you have been labeled by the DMV then you cannot change your designation.
Chris
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

....and in Portland you must smog test it unless it's too old here too?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

smog test required on both sides of the river

motorhome registration in Orygun is cheaper than a car the last few years, IIRC

stove and/or sink is what makes it a motorhome

I dunno which state is better, but why not register in both - pay double fees and put one state's plate on the front and the other's on the back - wait until a cop stops you for something and see if he notices
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

cbcnm wrote:
The issue with registering in Oregon is that you may be required to register your Westy as a motorhome. This changes the fee's, insurance and of course your AAA coverage.

My previous Westy was a car and my new Westy is a motorhome. Once you have been labeled by the DMV then you cannot change your designation.
Chris

I'm registered as a motorhome in Oregon and it didn't affect insurance or AAA rates or coverage. Neither have ever asked. However, it does cost less than half to renew the tags when registered as a motorhome. my van was $55 for 2 years and my passat was $120+ last time. Insurance is far cheaper on the Westy too. YRMV...
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

1. No smog test in Thurston County, Washington (Olympia)
2. Farmers Insurance will do agreed-value coverage, regardless of garage and/or miles driven.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Welcome to the PNW! You should base this decision entirely on if you prefer a big tree or a big mountain on your plates. Both have their merits but which do you want to display on your van? All other considerations are meaningless in comparison.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
smog test required on both sides of the river

not for my 87…

There was a thread not long ago on the high tabs in Washington that might bear looking for.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

No smog test for any Vanagon in WA anymore. My '91 just got it's last test.
Pretty sure you are old enough for Washington's classic registration. I just missed it.
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Emission testing is required in Clark, King, Snohomish, Pierce, and Spokane counties in Washington State. But vehicles over 25 years are exempt.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Quote:
There was a thread not long ago on the high tabs in Washington that might bear looking for.

The moderators were forced to delete that thread. What I can say is that it dealt with an issue particular to Seattle that would not be present in Clark County.

However impractical and absurd I like the "dual stateship" idea!
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

You might not have a choice of where to register or you may have to register in both states. Check both states laws and check with your insurance companies. If you are a legal resident of one state, you may be required to register it in that state to operate it on that state's roads. If you are garaging it in the other state, you may be required to register it there. So yes, its possible you might have to register it in both states simultaneously. Good Luck!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the first time you register a newly acquired vehicle in Washington state you must pay the sales tax on it to the state. This is 6.5% plus the local/county rate which is usually about another 2%. It's a pretty big bite, but with no state income tax the money has to come from somewhere.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

It boils down to what are you LEGALLY supposed to do. The State in which you LEGALLY ( greater than 6 months I believe) reside in is the one you are supposed to register in if it is a personal vehicle.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Taken from the Oregon DMV website in regards to emmission testing.

Emissions testing is required as follows:

In the Portland area, 1975 and newer model years must be tested (view detailed information).
In the Medford (Rogue Valley) area, vehicles 20 model years old and newer must be tested (view detailed information).
In these areas, cars, trucks, vans, motor homes and buses powered by gasoline, alternative fuels (such as propane), and hybrids must be tested.
In these areas, diesel-powered vehicles with a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less must be tested.

If your vehicle meets the above criteria and is new to Oregon, you must have a certificate that the vehicle passed an emissions test before you bring it in to DMV to be registered.

Note: Some vehicles are exempt (refer to the Exemptions section below).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the first time you register a newly acquired vehicle in Washington state you must pay the sales tax on it to the state. This is 6.5% plus the local/county rate which is usually about another 2%. It's a pretty big bite, but with no state income tax the money has to come from somewhere.

Good Point

It's settled that both places have emissions testing (which should be pretty easy to pass).

He may want to go beyond the sales tax issue - if so, he has to research the particulars of the emissions testing, and costs of registration/licensing in each spot to decide.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

I think it is wise to have your plates match the state on you drivers license. I got a ticket once because I had Wyoming plates and a Utah Drivers license. Not sure it was legal for the Wyoming Highway Patrol officer to check, but it happened while I was stopped waiting for snow clearing after an avalanche covered the road. The officer went from car to car checking registration and drivers licenses.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Where do you vote?

That's your home State.

That is where your unit should be registered.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just moved: Better to register in Oregon or Washington Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Microbusdeluxe wrote:

Good Point
It's settled that both places have emissions testing (which should be pretty easy to pass).
He may want to go beyond the sales tax issue - if so, he has to research the particulars of the emissions testing, and costs of registration/licensing in each spot to decide.

I cannot speak to Oregon emission requirements, but I do know that in Washington Sate emission testing is NOT required for any vehicle over 25 years old. And this is true in all counties in the state.
This from WaDOL website:
The following vehicles are exempt from emissions testing in Washington state:
Vehicles over 25 years old.

and here's the link: http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/smog-check.php
and this: http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.060
I'm not suggesting that whether or not a vehicle is subject to emission testing should be the determinant where a vehicle is registered. Follow the law. But I do want to be clear that if the vehicle is registered in Washington State it will not need emission testing if it is older than 25 years. I imported my '87 syncro from Canada 2 years ago and registered it in Seattle. I have never had to do emission testing, and Seattle is the "greenest" city in the state.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: