Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30K original mile beetle.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: 30K original mile beetle. Reply with quote

I work for the local VW dealership in the parts department. Every once in a while we have the pleasure of helping the true vdub enthusiast with his or her air cooled car. A couple days ago a guy came in with his recently aquired 1971 standard. He needed to get the brake hoses replaced and the system flushed and bled. The car is original paint with 30,000 miles and has been garaged it's entire life. Today when it was up on the lift I got a look at the underside. It was 100% rust free and a shining example of a show room quality original beetle. Just thought I'd pass on the story. There are still a few out there to be had in such condition. I'm not the biggest fan of post 67 beetles but I would be happy to drive this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are out there. A friend just picked up a 74 Sun Bug with 31k from the original owner.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Tony picked up a 56 Oval with 36,000 original miles. It's amazing. The paint is pretty faded, but there isn't a speck of rust.
Eric

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garage contains an orange with black trim 74 Luv Bug edition with just under 16k miles on it. The neat thing about driving it is that you sometimes have to look down at the speedo when you stop at a light to see if the the engine is still running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I hate all you guys with decent climates! You buy a new car over here & the rust sets in as soon as you sign the credit agreement Crying or Very sad

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonecollector,
Great story.
Just wondering, was this beetle the "Talk of the dealership" with everyone gathered around checking it out? Or just "Ho Hum", nothing special?

Trying to get a handle on the mindset of the people working at VW dealers these days.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine to a dealer in Linden looking for that elusive calendar a while back, and two of the older salesmen came out to look at the car. None of the younger ones did.
Travis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In san fransico about a year ago was a completly original 79 convert with get this, 122 miles from the day it was purchased. Ofcourse the guy did want like 22k.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took mine in to the dealer for its 15k mile oil change, no one said a thing to me. Obviously they thought it wasn't anything special.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always wondered what it would be like to go to a dealership in an old beetle. i think when my mom goes car shopping we'll take the 60 and see if they'll ask if we're going to trade the 60 in.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get looks in my car. cant find classic 60ish bugs in Brooklyn...everything including the bridges are rusty.Its a good thing my car is a rust free california car.
Shane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 79 vert has about 85,000 miles on it, but it was very well kept. I've driven it to the local VW stealership a couple times looking for water pumper parts. It draws a crowd. Usually the old guys, but the kids don't give it a second glance.

Just say "NO" to trailer queens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my ghia by once to look at a used 90's westy they had on the lot. Nobody even came outside to see if I had any questions, and I don't think they would have even known the ghia was a VW product.
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still a few nice low milage examples out there. I had a 77 with 154 miles on it. I've also got first rights to a 56 oval with 34k on it.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the kids don't give it a second glance

Get some stick on accessories and a coffee can exhaust and they'll come running Rolling Eyes

If they don't like my car, I'd prefer they stay away. People don't know how to treat something they don't appreciate.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
i always wondered what it would be like to go to a dealership in an old beetle.

Most dealerships no longer service ACVWs. They don't have trained staff or the special tools needed.

I get plenty of looks when i go to the local dealership. I know the General Manager and all the service staff. A few times they asked me to bring it for special events.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eastvalley65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in Oklahoma City, the VW dealerships were still equipped to handle VWs from 68 on... but they had no idea what to do with 5-luggers... stupids.
anyway that was a dealership originally built in the 60s... now that they've built a brand new dealership, I wonder if THAT ONE will be able to handle an aircooled car's needs.
personally, I wouldnt take my car to a VW dealership... if I had a new Beetle, maybe. But not an aircooled car. there are too many local shops to choose from to bother with those people, and the service is better. plus i like to support small businesses!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: