Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thinginator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Hi. I have a 73 Thing and want to relocate the fuel filter to outside the engine bay (nervous about fires). I can't find a good video or much info on doing this. I'm nervous about working on it (I'm a mechnical idiot, but I'm learning) and would appreciate some help with the following. Thank you!

1) Where is the best place on the car to physically locate the filter to?
2) I'd like to use a metal filter...what is the part number/ supplier/ site where I can get the right one?
3) I want to use metal fuel lines, I think...any recommendations on what kind to use, where to get it and how to best bend it/ work with it?
3) Is there some place I can find a detailed procedure for doing this? If not, can you describe how I should remove the existing fuel lines so I don't get gas everywhere?

Thank you!!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

I like mine above the transmission, just my opinion. Jack up and remove the left rear tire, pinch the hose with vice grips forward of desired location to keep most of the gas in. Cut out a section of hose and put in filter with clamps. Make sure it doesn't droop low and contact the drive axles. Under the gas tank is a good, maybe even safer place but harder to maneuver my hands in there. I have the filter for the gas heater there. Carquest number is 86031. Napa has a metal one like it but I don't know the number, just ask for metal with 1/4 inlet and outlet. If your replacing hose too, always a good idea, get it all assembled and hooked up on engine end then pull the piece with the vice grips off quickly and shove it together. Wear gloves. You can ask at Napa for 1/4 metal fuel line, comes in a roll. Use a brake tubing bender and a plumbing copper tube cutter. I've used a manual kerosene pump with extra rubber hose on the end to siphon out the tank before then take fuel line loose and let remaining gas run into a bucket. Additional disclaimer, just my opinion 101 other ways to do it.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Just don't put it here where it was located on the last thing we tore down one of the hottest place on the thing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Oh my!! Shocked Shocked

I have one up front under the tank, as well as another above the transaxle(but not attached the the HEAT exchanger!)....

Both are visible, and easily inspected... Also fairly easy to service... As KAmes suggested, just pinch the line with vice grips, cut, and insert filter- With clamps on all ends!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

This guy has the fix.

http://kelleyspeed.com/Customparts.html

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

I have mine supported off the unused left side air cleaner support. It is easy to access there and does not add to the fire risk IMO. The supply line runs through an added hole in the tin and is protected by a rubber grommet and the hose from the filter to the pump is well attached and supported. The filter can be changed very easily with very little loss of fuel, no clamps and no crawling under the car needed.

Metal inline fuel filters can be had from most any FLAPS, just go to the counter and ask.

Probably time to change out your rubber fuel lines as well. Best to buy the low pressure variant of the Gates 30r14 Barracade hose or to use FI rated hose. The cloth covered style hoses in general are not suitable for today's fuels nor are traditional 30r6 and 30r7 fuel hose.
Thinginator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

KAmes, citroen, GI Joe, hobie16 and Wildthings: Thank you so very much for the amazingly fast and very informative replies!!! Fantastic information and I really appreciate it. Based on that, I think I only have one follow-up question:

What is the best line material for the actual attachment point to the engine and tank? I assume you don't want to attach a metal line directly to the tank & engine since you can't really clamp it down easily? Or can you?

Thank you!!!!!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Nope, you can't really clamp metal line, besides you want a flexible point near the engine since it moves a little on it's rubber mounts. Use 1/4 inch fuel injection hose.
Thinginator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Thank you KAmes - that makes sense. I'll probably take the next week or so to plan it out, get the materials, and then I think I'll make a video of it to post out there that I hope is useful. Thank you very much!!
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

I'm getting ready today to go buy a supply of the 5mm fuel line with cloth cover to replace all the lines. Also been thinking of moving the filter to the tranny area.

But... Wildthings and KAmes say to use 1/4" FI hose?

That equates to 6.35mm ID; does that crimp good to the metal lines? It's a lot easier to get and probably a lot less expensive.

Thanks,
Mark
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Search for "Gates 27313" hose-great hose only $2/ft at your local parts store. 1/4" inside diameter.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski wrote:
I'm getting ready today to go buy a supply of the 5mm fuel line with cloth cover to replace all the lines. Also been thinking of moving the filter to the tranny area.

That equates to 6.35mm ID; does that crimp good to the metal lines? It's a lot easier to get and probably a lot less expensive.

Thanks,
Mark

The 5mm hose is correct and indeed will fit the metal tubes tighter. My experience has been that the cloth covered hose that's available doesn't seem as durable as modern fuel injection hose. That's not to say it's bad and I certainly haven't tried it from everyone maybe some are better than others. None of the local auto stores where I live are stocking metric sizes and 1/4 is the closest size. You'll also find many of the dual carb kits are coming with 1/4 hose and fittings. By all means use the 5mm if you have it.
Thinginator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Great info on the hoses/lines. Does anyone have a photo that shows how you positioned the fuel line from the engine down to where it leaves the engine bay? I'm interested in seeing the best exit point from the engine bay. Thank you!
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

You can see in citroen's post photo above that the fuel line exits the engine bay through the tin next to cylinder #3.

At that point it is a metal line.

Metal line out of the frame>hose>metal line into the engine compartment>hose into fuel pump. Then (normally) fuel pump>hose>fuel filter>hose>carb.

I think that is the answer to what you are asking if I understand correctly.

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski wrote:

Thanks,
Mark
Please don't give me credit for something I didn't post. Crying or Very sad

In the low pressure Gates Barricade 30r14 hose there is a 3/16 size available which works well with either 5.5mm or 5mm OD tubing. If your local NAPA or O'Reilly doesn't stock that size it available on line.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help Relocating Fuel Filter to Outside Engine Bay Reply with quote

Yeah, not intentional Wildthings...

Guess I was thinking of what you wrote and what KAmes wrote and crossed the two thought streams.

"Don't cross the streams!"

The 30r14 3/16 size seems more reasonable for a good connection.

Thanks,
Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: