Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 super 1904 build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

I just picked this beetle up today. I recently got a 1904 motor and wanted to find cheap car to put it in....cue the super!

This car is oddly almost all original has zero rust and does not appear to have any rumpling other than dented fenders and deck lid. The previous owner pulled the engine for me and mentioned it had low compression, but that is going to sit for now.

Since a stock 1600dp super beetle is boring, this build is going to be about tasteful modifications on a low budget Twisted Evil

The original color is shantung gold/yellow and it will most likely be re sprayed this color. Its fairly uncommon and seems to have a cult following....so why not. Plus I refuse to have a car that has not completely been painted the same color inside and out.

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or concerns on any of the procedures or ideas. I have a general vision of it finished, but that is subject to change.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SB for squareback or san bernardino....who knows.
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Day 1:
Cleaned most parts with TSP
Painted all tins with rustoleum semi gloss black. Paint is only $9/quart and sprays pretty decent. Some pieces still need touch up and light sanding.
Test drive will be soon once engine is assembled...then its on to lowering and finding wheels/tires.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Cool! I'm putting together a 1904 with heat for my 73 Super too. Car looks good and tins look good btw! What carbs you planning on? I'm going to swap my Kadrons on from the 1776 I'm driving in it currently at first, and hunt down some 36 or 40MM IDF or 40HPMX carbs later on.

Cheap supers are one of the best values in a daily driver in our hobby. I paid $1400 for this guy with a running 1776 with full flow and kadrons Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

nice ride! i wish mine was that color...but all the cool colors are always trashed.
I have a long block and a delorto 40 with manifold straight out of 1985! Ill post when I get the engine together. I have dual 40 webers on my t3 and I am looking forward to a single carb build for once lol.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Tin looks great, is that the tin that came with it when you bought it? Glad to see you'll be using flaps.

What more about the motor? It hasn't been sitting since 1985?

Also sad to hear you'll be lowering it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

the motor was sitting in a plastic bag under a gun locker in a friends garage since around 85 and has a burned piston.
He actually gave me all the paperwork from when he built it. I even have the deck height calculations etc.
Tins came with the bug which had a stock 1600 engine and as41 bus case.
I will probably get a mex thermostat if its in the budget.

Why not lower it? My other 3 cars drag the ground so its just a habit for me. Do you prefer stock height for drive-ability or aesthetics?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

I'd highly suggest not getting a Mexican one. Awesomepowdercoat has found a way to make new German style ones. If they fail the flaps will stay open instead of closing. If the piston is burned, then I would take the extra steps to split the case and check the cam and lifters for corrosion. Do you trust that the plastic bag didn't let any moisture into the case? Never hurts to take extra precautions to make sure your motor lasts.

It's a personal thing Laughing look at my other cars and you'll see why Wink
Lowered cars are alright, until they're no longer functioning like stock. Ie rubbing, scraping and bouncing like you have oval wheels. Drive ability all the way for a car that I plan on driving.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Looks like a nice project.

Get a good OEM bellows thermostat. If they fail, the fail in the flaps-open position. You can find them in the Samba Classifieds or awesomepowdercoat.com.

Good luck,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the thermostats.
The engine was in the mojave desert...with 0-10% humidity nothing rusts. The oil is still good so I am going to chance it this time.

I was not planning to slam the car, just lower 1-2 inches and put 195-60 tires. Fixing the bumpers is not in the budget, so im mainly lowering it to make the absent bumpers not seem so obvious.

Alternatively if I find a nice cheap set of bumpers, I will probably go with a more stock look
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Ah, oil that's been sitting since 1985.

I'd leave the bumpers as they are. Some aluminum foil, a can of coke, some elbow grease and a few beers will make that chrome shine again. Aluminum is softer than chrome so it won't scratch it, coke is just acidic enough to help remove gunk.

Stock never goes out of style.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Its hard to tell in the pics, but both bumpers are pretty bent. Once the car is painted and interior is done, they will stick out in a bad way.
im open to options, but the ones I have need to be straightened and then re chromed.

Once finished this is going to be a very nice daily driver.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

If they are cheap I'll take those bumper guards/overriders from you, i have terrible luck finding any even in poor condition... If you arent running the bumpers anyway that is...

Lowering a super only looks good if its subtle, IMHO. usually the back end sags an inch or two over the years anyway, so putting some adjustable struts on the front and setting it at around 2~2.5" drop is perfect. keeps it planted on the road a bit better, doesnt rub and destroy tires and parts, and doesnt look like it's got a nose-up attitude anymore. I've got a set of lowering struts for mine, but need to find an afternoon to swap them in.

I've done the slammed car thing... only looks right on early cars that have been swapped to IRS and even then it's a waste as far as i'm concerned. My 71 super was 2"~ off the ground up front... cornered like a go-cart but getting groceries was a pain in the ass when you drag on every dip or speedbump. just a little drop is all i want on any car anymore. I wont even tell you how embarassing my slammed civic was to drive in parking lots Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I've done the slammed car thing... only looks right on early cars that have been swapped to IRS and even then it's a waste as far as i'm concerned. My 71 super was 2"~ off the ground up front... cornered like a go-cart but getting groceries was a pain in the ass when you drag on every dip or speedbump. just a little drop is all i want on any car anymore. I wont even tell you how embarassing my slammed civic was to drive in parking lots Shocked

I hear that. I ripped the bumper off my passat last week because it got caught on the flat piece of cardboard i had under it. and that was after I raised the car up an inch in the front...
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

For interior I have decided to go with the stock black lower/white upper. Most carpet is in good condition, so that is going to get cleaned up. Front seats need pads and re cover, but back are fine.
For stereo, I am going to get din mount cover from badassdubs. Was also thinking about making a nice glass/mdf speaker shelf behind the back seat.

Any thoughts on running 2 vs 4 speakers? I dont like door panel speakers because you lose the pocket, and the floor mount ones get in the way.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

icelancer wrote:
For interior I have decided to go with the stock black lower/white upper. Most carpet is in good condition, so that is going to get cleaned up. Front seats need pads and re cover, but back are fine.
For stereo, I am going to get din mount cover from badassdubs. Was also thinking about making a nice glass/mdf speaker shelf behind the back seat.

Any thoughts on running 2 vs 4 speakers? I dont like door panel speakers because you lose the pocket, and the floor mount ones get in the way.

hard to beat black interior with off-white headliner in the late model beetles, it just works.

If you only plan on running two i would put them in the back, but adding two up front works well if you stuff the area behind the speaker, or use those black foam cups that go behind the speaker-

my fronts sounded wonky until i put the foam cups behind them, now it all sounds great. four speakers running off of a nice deck, and a single sub is honestly more than enough if you use quality speakers. I have a Pioneer DEH-X6700BS and four 6.5" two way speakers and i make my audiophile friends jealous on a modest budget. only thing i want to change is add a pair of small subs or a single medium sized sub.

I'm very picky on sound, one of my other hobbies is building tube amps for Hi-Fi.

i think door panels are a horrible place for speakers. they can be made to sound decent but meh. too much water gets in there even in the best case scenarios.

icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Those speaker cups are a good idea. Installing a stereo is always a fun project, but sometimes you end up with a cvx 15 and a broken back window....
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Test fitted carb and shrouds to make sure everything fits...complete assembly should be done by morning! Time for a lunch break.

That fuel filter is NOT staying.

icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Work day 4:
Engine bay cleaned and painted.
Engine assembled and ready for install.
I would have had the engine in tonight but I smashed my thumb and had to stop. Other than that no issues yet.

icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

I have gotten a lot done in the last few days.
Deck lid inside painted and engine installed.
Took out all the interior and cleaned the car. It probably hasn’t been vacuumed in years.
I glued various foam pieces back on and the carpet in the front.
I ended up putting the raggedy carpet back in for now...no point in getting the tarboards dirty.
I also washed the car with box of foam eraser sponges which took off years of grime.

The 1904 is pretty fast and everything is working great. Now time for the tedious task of bodywork...

icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 super 1904 build Reply with quote

Making good progress so far. I have been getting everything cleaned up under the hood.
A harness by the fuse box was replaced and was spliced in with butt connectors. I removed all those and soldered everything. Also re routed the wires to make them fit better.
Removed and straightened the throttle cable which was sticking. Works great now.
Found a really good diy about putting the puzzle of air vents and fuel vent lines together. http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0411vwt_1971_beetle_super_project_part_16/photo_15.html Thats almost finished, but I would like to get a working fresh air fan motor before everything is fully assembled.
Also removed factory am radio and going to install a different HU I have.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: