Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys I want to be like Matt's thread ( Longboardluv ) Laughing Razz but it will be more videos than pictures

First video

Link

Second video

Link

Third video

Link

Fourth video is coming soon!
Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Great videos!

Looks like a great project.
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

I dig your bus! I hope you'll keep us updated.
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Right now I'm working on front end

Remove wheels, brake, spindles, and torsion arms so I can replace all the seals and got spindles flipped to low bus 3.5" (more videos coming soon)

Videos filmed at 4K on iPhone 6s Smile

Link

Link

Link

Link

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

I enjoy the videos, thanks for making them.

I know how it is trying to work without a garage and in the dirt. Thankfully I have a little bit if area (not much!) to work on my stuff now.

I'd be tempted to make a fine gravel pad and get one of those cheapish metal carports if I were you. Sometimes you gotta just go with what you have though!
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Hey Mic- Great videos!

I want to emphasize not to do MUCH bodywork on it. You mentioned the football trick for the nose- it is the ONLY thing you need to do. DO NOT cut out or put on a new nose skin because it is a solid patina ride. It is by far much more desired that way. Even with some dents or wrinkles, that only shows the character of the car. It took this long enough for the character to build to this point. For rust holes or anything of concern, just patch and BLEND in. Dont worry about perfection because you will be too busy having a blast in this iconic VW bus! Look up on how others did that technique- (Blending )

Try not to lower it too much, defeats the purpose of having a bus which can do MORE terrains with the stock height. Depends on how you plan to use the bus....

Looking forward to seeing your progress here!

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
Hey Mic- Great videos!

I want to emphasize not to do MUCH bodywork on it. You mentioned the football trick for the nose- it is the ONLY thing you need to do. DO NOT cut out or put on a new nose skin because it is a solid patina ride. It is by far much more desired that way. Even with some dents or wrinkles, that only shows the character of the car. It took this long enough for the character to build to this point. For rust holes or anything of concern, just patch and BLEND in. Dont worry about perfection because you will be too busy having a blast in this iconic VW bus! Look up on how others did that technique- (Blending )

Just to add another opinion on this:

To some it's more desirable, to others it's not. It is definitely good advice to consider the end result before diving in to body work.

I say repaint it if you want, or leave the patina if you want. It's your bus. There's no need to feel obligated either way on this one in my opinion.

Some of the rust just plain needs to be repaired sooner or later. Then again, like the above poster said, metal repair can be blended convincingly with some care if that's the route you choose.
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

I enjoy the videos, its good to see another ASL user. I don't have to read the captions for once! Very Happy

I love your patina bus, I agree with derRhdmeister - I would repair/blend the rust areas and show off that sick patina! You can always repaint it again and again.

Not to mention, you will save thousands in paint job by going with the blending route. I have seen some buses in worse shape than yours come out really good in their original paint on this website.

Either way, enjoy your journey - it can't get better than working on a split bus. I will be watching for your process!

Btw check out deafvolks on instagram and fb!

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Keep up the good work as best as you can. There is a bunch of us in the Austin area doing the same kind of thing you are doing.
Once it's up and running, you can enjoy your bus, and even do some body work if you like.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Always enjoy your videos, very cool. I'm the guy that subscribed to you on youtube when you asked me about lowering a bus. I'm "scasillas"

-Serg

It is what it is
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Man, I hate to see you working in the dirt with the wet winter coming. If you were closer to San Antonio, I've got an empty bay in my garage you could use. Keep up the good work on that beautiful bus.

Last edited by zozo on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Hello, from another AUSTIN SPLIT BUS dude!

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Did you buy this bus from a guy named Andrew Barnes in Poteau?

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

Loved your past videos with the drones, can't wait to see the progression of your bus project.

Rock on!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

This is all around a great thread. Really looking forward to updates. I appreciate the time it takes to edit this into a video and the fact that you're doing it outside, in the grass, by yourself is commendable.

One bit of advice for you: Now that you aren't using the wheels anymore, stack two of them together and put them under the bus (not touching the vehicle). That way if the bus falls or shifts off the stands, it will still probably hurt you, but it won't kill you.
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

^^^This!!
'61 Panel dove blue"Rche"
'65 Bug rusty"Tina"
'83 Porsche 944
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: MicBergsma's 67 Bus Restoration Thread - Austin, TX Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed this but I'm really excited about your progress. Popcorn
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Episode 1 video Reply with quote

Wow guys sorry I disappeared for two years! haha.. I can't believe that! I finally got time to edit a video of what's been going on with my bus project! So here's episode 1 video! Will be posting more episodes soon and continuing to do so as the project continues!

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: