Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Guys,
I've done this a couple times in the past. Published what I found when unknowing buyers don't do their due diligence when approaching a bus purchase. In this case it worked out well for Jessica in Boston.

I was contacted earlier this week to go look at a 1971 tin top camper that had been advertised on eBay. The "Buy-it-Now" price was $27,900 and it was up to 31 bids and around $17K at the time I did my inspection.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The seller did a great job on the ad but failed to be truthful regarding it's condition.

He only showed what he considered to be the good things and not the bad

At this point it looks like he ended the auction early which I think means he either sold it outside of eBay or he decided to listen to my advice and not be deceptive which would most likely result in a very pissed off buyer.

Okay, now I'll get to the heart of the discussion. The seller is a "flipper". He bought the bus 15 months ago for the purpose of making some money. He threw a real cheap paint job on there and hired a guy to do the mechanical work that isn't very good. In addition, attempts were made to hide body rust by using black spray paint on the undercarriage.

I have about 60 pictures which I'll supply via a photobucket link at the bottom but for now here's a few I thought were worth showing here.

Rusted out area behind front bumper

Wrong engine for a '71 and this one has lots of problems

More rust

Brake lines not secured

Sliding door track rusted out (oh it sounded horrible)

Steering wheel in bad shape, dash lights inop, no horn, etc

Even the spare tire was just a prop

Electrical issues

I could try and list the over 50 things wrong I found on this bus but instead I think I'll just add this link to my pictures. Jessica dodged a huge bullet by hiring me. Just the steering problems alone would have cost her $1000 to have fixed.

Slide show
http://s433.photobucket.com/user/aeromech32254/slideshow/Jessica1971Camper
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

good job gary....

I fucking hate people....

the door track just needed a good cleaning (from your photos) you haven't seen rusty my friend Laughing

looks like a 5-7K bus as is. useable, but needs work. again, I base that price on my salty New England balls

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Glad you caught it for your buyer Gary. You saved them a ton of money and anguish.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Nice work Gary.
Next on the "what is hiding behind that shiny paint" list is the shiny bus from Mexico if and when it appears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Nice work Gary.
Next on the "what is hiding behind that shiny paint" list is the shiny bus from Mexico if and when it appears.

Buyer is in town but I haven't heard a thing today
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Great job as always Gary. Looks like you saved them quite the heart ache.

It's amazing that the seller was trying to pass this off the way they did with the many issue that you found. Scary!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Good post. It's educational for folks looking for buses to see this. One of the reasons I don't like eBay for bus auctions - they can get way out of control for what you are getting.

Thanks.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

The seller was a young German fella who seemed well educated. He told me that he was facing tough times economically and therefore selling his bus but he also admitted to being a flipper.

After about half way through the inspection I hadn't really said much negative but once I slid under the front and saw that rusted out area I just unloaded. I told him that when I sell on eBay I detail the good as well as the bad because the LAST thing I would want would be a pissed off buyer. My guess was that he was going to get his payday and then high tail it for Germany. Now that I see he ending the auction I have to think that maybe he took what I said to heart.

I could list everything I found wrong if someone wants. The pictures tell a lot but not everything, like the two inches of steering slop from a worn out box or the fuel hose used for a vacuum hose to the distributor that just fell off the carburetor port.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Hello, Job well done on your part....
I love that carpet job up front, what was he trying to hide???? rust drip trails or front end collision...
The young lady is lucky that she posted an inquiery on what to look for and that you could help her out...
Bad bad German boy....
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Nicely done Gary.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
He told me that he was facing tough times economically

So is everyone at the gas station who just needs $5 to get back to their girlfriends house because their mom is going into surgery with 5 starving babies at home.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Wow, I saw the video and read the listing on that one, it rang all the alarm bells for a closer inspection but outwardly it didn't look that bad from what the seller revealed, if I didn't know buses I might have bitten. I pity the poor noob that falls for a turd like that, and sadly there's others who do get suckered in by the flippers every day.

Good job Gary, at least you saved one potential buyer from a life changing bad experience. I doubt you swayed the seller, pricks like that just don't care, maybe he just took an offer from an excited noob who thought they were stealing it, hopefully he's arranging shipment to Nigeria as we speak. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Always a bit of a red flag for me when I see a CA bus with a recent plate on it - especially 7's
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

I truly hope newbies see this and learn from it. Maybe this thread belongs in the sticky with those talking bears

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
GGoryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Hi Gary. Very enlightening! You offered to list everything you found wrong. If you've already made the list, I'd love to see it (I'm making my own checklist, and I'm sure I'd find lots of stuff to add).

Glenn
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Glenn, I'm confused. Please send me a pm to explain. I did this inspection months ago.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

When did buying and selling stuff on margin become a ' profession ' worthy of making a living?

And for those who monetise time your time with real restoration and repairs, I tip my hat to your profession.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Yes indeed, Good Job ! If I ever make it to the West Coast, I'm coming to SD just to shake your hand Smile
It's such a good feeling to save someone from a "douchebag" I had a similar experience in 2009. Looked at a ruff Westy for $1500. at a friends shop, the owner told him to "just get it running" the mechanic told me a whole laundry list of things it needed mechanically. I passed. Three weeks later I see the same Bus on fleabay at 7 grand..."Fully Restored" Shocked In this photo alone you can see the sidemarker missing and overspray on the frame !...so I posted a "buyer beware" here in the forum. A lady in West Virginia could not thank me enough Smile

FYI...If anyone in Western New York is thinking of buying a Bus or any ACVW for that matter I am happy to "pay it forward" and go inspect it for them !
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

Solid work!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Neptune blue "lipstick on a Pig" Here we go again Reply with quote

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
Yes indeed, Good Job ! If I ever make it to the West Coast, I'm coming to SD just to shake your hand Smile
It's such a good feeling to save someone from a "douchebag" I had a similar experience in 2009. Looked at a ruff Westy for $1500. at a friends shop, the owner told him to "just get it running" the mechanic told me a whole laundry list of things it needed mechanically. I passed. Three weeks later I see the same Bus on fleabay at 7 grand..."Fully Restored" Shocked In this photo alone you can see the sidemarker missing and overspray on the frame !...so I posted a "buyer beware" here in the forum. A lady in West Virginia could not thank me enough Smile

FYI...If anyone in Western New York is thinking of buying a Bus or any ACVW for that matter I am happy to "pay it forward" and go inspect it for them !

I can also tell you there is a lot of bando on the quarter. Looks at those flairs.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: