Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

So, when many people do an conversion on a Vanagon that does not have factory A/C, and the new engine almost always has a modern A/C compressor, they will opt for one of the Vintage Air systems that is being installed by the likes of Small Car performance in Seattle or Stephan's Auto Haus in Sacramento. I'm getting ready to have Stephan's most likely do a 1.8 Turbo conversion on my '87 Syncro Westy that does not have factory A/C.
What makes me hesitate is the fact that the Vintage Air install closes off the fresh air inlet for the Vanagon's ventilation system. This really goes against my way of thinking. I love fresh air and I love having it with the windows up.
I know that A/C is an effective dehumidifier and that the Vanagon has wing windows.
I think I really need to hear from people who have lived and traveled with this system in a variety of weather, before I go and spend the five grand or so on it.
I have seen some alternatives, like installing a small Fridgidaire window style A/C unit under the bench seat or behind the passenger seat. Seems like a crazy alternative, But, I would go to great lengths to keep fresh air.
Please folks share youre experience here!
Thanks,
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
• Vintage Air in-dash A/C
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Replicate the stock Westy a/c system with the evaporator and fans in the rear of the van.
This will give you a/c and still maintain the stock air box/heater in front.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

How many BTU's is this window unit?
How do you plan on powering it up?

On most all automotive ac units you have two dash selections;
Recirculate, or fresh air for the ac to operate on.
Exluding a Vanagon, which you still can manually allow fresh air into the cab.
But, this is counterintuitive as your allowing hot humid air back into the cab.
You would be running the snot outa that ac unit to keep the cab cool.

If you don't like the in dash offerings available, then don't have it installed.
Forget about it.
That would be my advice.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

I like the early Vanagon "headache" units with the evap sitting right behind the passenger compartment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No need to mess around with the rest of the climate control.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

The VA system is slick.
I've done a few now and will be updating my personal with them.
The defrost and heat is amazing.
Whisper quiet.
Not quite sure whether they work to potential with Red Tek, just being honest as I have multiple install experience.
The layout and controls have been changed yet again.
I have yet to install the latest version, but looking forward to it as it just sounds easier and more refined.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

michaeltag wrote:
I'm getting ready to have Stephan's most likely do a 1.8 Turbo conversion on my '87 Syncro Westy that does not have factory A/C.
What makes me hesitate is the fact that the Vintage Air install closes off the fresh air inlet for the Vanagon's ventilation system. I would go to great lengths to keep fresh air.

I,m looking at under dash systems right now. I've played around with jetta suby, and other donor parts....everything "outback" almost fits.
The problem is most modern systems pull their fresh air from the passengers side...there is a lot of realestate on that side of the vanagon.
Seems to me that Stephan could cut you a 4" hole in the sheet metal right behind the passengers headlight, then plumb the vintage air unit to it.
...Fresh/recirc like a modern car.
just one of the thoughts I'm playing with
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

If you search here, a member added fresh air vents into the Vintage Air unit that could open and close. The air came in through the same intake. It was a clever solution. We are running the vintage air Gen III. No complaints. A 30 year old vehicle is not exactly air tight to begin with.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

I'm running a Bostig conversion with the Vintage Air Gen IV system from Small Car with RedTek.

I love fresh air as well, and thought I would miss the option to get it from the vents, but in truth I don't miss it. I drove all day yesterday in 90 degree heat in Texas and didn't miss it one bit. During spring/fall, yes, I may crave fresh air--but I just use the wing windows.

Also--if I feel the need for fresh air, I turn on the blower and dial the temp to the coolest point that does not engage the AC compressor--the Gen IV unit is designed for this nuanced behavior. Also, the Gen IV air handler has heater hoses conveniently located behind the glove box, so adding a heater core shutoff valve back there is easy and convenient to access--furthering your ability to suppress hot air if you just want cool fresh air.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

I have a small car vintage air as well. Have to say I do miss the fresh air. I think if you could rig something like mark ward mentioned that would be best of both worlds. If I had to do it over I certainly would add/retain a lever for fresh air vents
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

michaeltag wrote:
What makes me hesitate is the fact that the Vintage Air install closes off the fresh air inlet for the Vanagon's ventilation system. This really goes against my way of thinking. I love fresh air and I love having it with the windows up.
I know that A/C is an effective dehumidifier and that the Vanagon has wing windows.
...But, I would go to great lengths to keep fresh air.

I got you covered:
http://www.vanistan.com/Vanistan/other_accessories.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651327&highlight=vanistan

It's foolish from a safety as well as comfort perspective to have no fresh-air input in a vehicle ventilation system, you're entirely correct to demand it. Fresh air is necessary to counter the humidity added by vehicle occupants, and the dehumidifying aspect of AC is limited, if it works at all at lower temps (many AC systems self-disable at 40ºF).

You wouldn't use my recirc flapper valve since your entire stock airbox is replaced by in-dash AC units and the in-dash unit would provide that, but my kit would give you a controllable fresh air inlet closure. If your aftermarket system eliminates the stock vent control levers then you'd need to get creative to integrate my inlet door control cable, but push-comes-to-shove it can easily be a simple pull-knob cable installed separately from whatever controls are used with your new system. If you knew you would go that route I could supply a pull-knob cable rather than the hardware the kit normally comes with.

See the above links for details, please post any comments on the linked thread, and although there's not much more I could tell you that isn't already there, if you have more questions contact me at the email link on my site. Cheers.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

When you have the dash out and VW air distribution box removed for the VA system, it is extremely easy to figure out how to get fresh air into the cabin.

No, not wasting time explaining how, it is that easy once you have all of the parts removed.

Where you bring that air into is also up to you.
Add a filter element if going to do it.
You can purchase AC filament at any HVAC store.

Don't give mice a free ride into the cabin either, give it a little thought.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
When you have the dash out and VW air distribution box removed for the VA system, it is extremely easy to figure out how to get fresh air into the cabin.

No, not wasting time explaining how, it is that easy once you have all of the parts removed.

Not exactly helpful ^^^^
Sure to someone who has a mechanical mind, it may be a no brainer, but to those whose minds think different than ours..... It isn't quite so obvious.

It would take very little effort to tell us how to plumb in fresh air.
"I know how to do it........ but I ain't telling!"

This isn't unlike past posts saying "I have lots of "them" but I'm not going to sell "them", they are going into the scrap pile."

Just saying........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

What's The matter Dave, Is your Karnac Broken ?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

My karnac works fine, I'm thinking more of the weekend warriors who haven't any karnac abilities.

Do recall that I redesigned my factory air box to shut off ram fresh air and recirculate cabin air and soon to have in dash A/C too!
My mind works that way, others minds do nit but they have other abilities that far exceed my weaker abilities.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Not exactly helpful ^^^^
Sure to someone who has a mechanical mind, it may be a no brainer, but to those whose minds think different than ours..... It isn't quite so obvious.

It would take very little effort to tell us how to plumb in fresh air.
"I know how to do it........ but I ain't telling!"

This isn't unlike past posts saying "I have lots of "them" but I'm not going to sell "them", they are going into the scrap pile."

Just saying........

Dave

Well said Dave. Contribute with kindness...or don't contribute.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

You Guys are funny.
I showed the entire process in detail and have contributed to threads about this product that a vendor sells, give crap directions on installation and makes money on....not VA the Vanagon conversion vendor.
Look at the pictures posted.

Those who pmailed me during the process.

Not really interested in doing the work for this vendor and than have them charge more money for the parts and claim it was all developed by them.
Just like brakes, reversed coolant manifolds.....blah blah blah.

Go for it Guys, lets see what you come up with.

And Dave, we both know the level of "help" I provide.
If not, read a few other threads Dudes.
Thanks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
You Guys are funny.
I showed the entire process in detail and have contributed to threads about this product that a vendor sells, give crap directions on installation and makes money on....not VA the Vanagon conversion vendor.

Not really interested in doing the work for this vendor and than have them charge more money for the parts and claim it was all developed by them.

Thanks.

That's interesting, but it's not at all what you said in your first post, do you have a link to your thread now that we know one with said information with photos exists?

I've been searching for it but have come up empty thus far........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
insyncro wrote:
You Guys are funny.

Thanks.

That's interesting, but it's not at all what you said in your first post, do you have a link to your thread now that we know one with said information with photos exists?

Dave

Here on the Samba, the pictures are available in Kyle's Lemonade thread.
The complete story, with pictures and videos of the fresh air modifications are on my Facebook personal page.
Reason being, I control who can gain access to the page.
I am moving most of my work to that page so that I can self moderate Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Ok...... Good...... A link so that we can learn?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Air AC that gets installed with many Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Ok.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572864&highlight=lemonade

On page 8 I see the A/C install but I see nothing about plumbing in a fresh air duct?

Did I miss it?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: