Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low Light Convertible value
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Hello,

My wife wants a low light convertible. I see asking prices for very good condition cars running from $35k + for a coupe to $50K for a convertible. I'm not new to VW's I have a 55 OKRASA powered bug, but know very little about the trends in the Low Lights.

For car with a older full restoration, very good paint, no rust, good even gaps, correct 36 motor, original pans and everything works as it should, what can I expect to pay?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

A '58 Convertible sold last week in a Billings Live Auction for $70000 so you'll need revise your estimate upwards. Auctions aren't always a way to set a benchmark but it does show what some are prepared to pay for a shiny example...I hesitate to say perfect example.

Having said that $50000 is quite typical these days for a well restored Ghia 'vert...scale down for less the shiny, remembering they are rare cars.

The coupe is more affordable and many think the more desirable in reflecting the purity of the classic Ghia design.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Thanks John, your wisdom will guide me.

I have a friend at the classic this weekend and he's sent me a couple of photos of what looks to be a very good example. Low and behold it is also listed here and on Hemmings. It's the Graphite silver one.

Seems to be priced in the range you speak of and if my buddie confirms the details, this one may be coming to Oregon...

Again John, thanks for your input.

John M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Looks like it's missing the vin tag up front. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a car missing the vin...just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion. As a matter of fact, my friend I went over it early this morning by phone and there was sufficient unknowns about this car and the pricing, that made me walk away. Always skeptical when VIN tags are missing and no photos of the under carriage. Not what I want, but still looking!

Thanks for your input.

John M
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Just asking: why not just get a newer early sixties vert model in perfect condition for less money than a lowlight vert?

In my humble opinion for most people the desire for a low light vert would be the lowlight look (so basically meaning the only slightly lower placed headlights and the tiny nostrils and taillights) which has nothing to do with how it drives... character of a Karmann Ghia is in the whole car, not only in the front and tail lights Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

In the end, I've done exactly that. I made contact with "The Ghia Girl" through this thread and as we discussed what I was really looking for and why, it was truly the design and overall look of the Ghia.

To make a long story short, we purchased a very solid 64' hard top from Lisa that she was having restored at the House of Ghia. It's Ruby Red with a white top and my wife fell in love with it at first sight. It will be totally stock except for a big bore kit and wear a gray and white interior.

Mike and his crew at the House of Ghia are going the extra mile and we changed the cosmetic restoration to a full resto. I've got the best engine builder on this planet, Larry Govin, doing the motor and with any luck the car, my wife has affectionately named "Ruby", will be done in the next couple months.

John
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

John M wrote:
In the end, I've done exactly that. I made contact with "The Ghia Girl" through this thread and as we discussed what I was really looking for and why, it was truly the design and overall look of the Ghia.

To make a long story short, we purchased a very solid 64' hard top from Lisa that she was having restored at the House of Ghia. It's Ruby Red with a white top and my wife fell in love with it at first sight. It will be totally stock except for a big bore kit and wear a gray and white interior.

Mike and his crew at the House of Ghia are going the extra mile and we changed the cosmetic restoration to a full resto. I've got the best engine builder on this planet, Larry Govin, doing the motor and with any luck the car, my wife has affectionately named "Ruby", will be done in the next couple months.

John

A very sensible decision...we expect pictures. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
A '58 Convertible sold last week in a Billings Live Auction for $70000 so you'll need revise your estimate upwards. Auctions aren't always a way to set a benchmark but it does show what some are prepared to pay for a shiny example...I hesitate to say perfect example.

Having said that $50000 is quite typical these days for a well restored Ghia 'vert...scale down for less the shiny, remembering they are rare cars.

The coupe is more affordable and many think the more desirable in reflecting the purity of the classic Ghia design.

What does that mean? I thought the Ghia was designed from the start with the intention of having a vert.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

What does that mean? I thought the Ghia was designed from the start with the intention of having a vert.

Carrozzeria Ghia's reputation was for stylish coupes. Although Karmann built the Beetle convertible it seems the idea of the Karmann Ghia was sold to Nordorf as a Coupe. No prototype convertibles were produced until the appearance of the production convertible in August '57 two years after the first Coupe.

Last edited by John Moxon on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
A '58 Convertible sold last week in a Billings Live Auction for $70000 so you'll need revise your estimate upwards...The coupe is more affordable and many think the more desirable in reflecting the purity of the classic Ghia design.

Carrozzeria Ghia's reputation was for stylish coupes. Although Karmann built the Beetle convertible it seems the idea of the Karmann Ghia was sold to Nordorf as a Coupe. No prototype convertibles were produced until the appearance of the production convertible in August '57 two years after the first Coupe.

Interesting discussion: I've owned and driven verts - '84 Alfa Spider, '96 Porsche 993, 2007 Boxster - and have recently enjoyed a good day being driven around Edinburgh and surrounding area in Phil's 1969 Ghia vert. The verts are more valuable than the coupés (except for the Porsches) but they are uncomfortable (in comparison) and come with their unique set of problems (leaking, noise, heat/cold, etc). The main detractors, as far as my taste is concerned, are that the car's otherwise clean lines are spoiled and that a vert is just not as driveable in all weathers as a coupé.

But, as the Romans said, "De gustibus non est disputandum."

It's no use arguing about matters of taste.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
A '58 Convertible sold last week in a Billings Live Auction for $70000 so you'll need revise your estimate upwards...The coupe is more affordable and many think the more desirable in reflecting the purity of the classic Ghia design.

Interesting discussion: I've owned and driven verts - '84 Alfa Spider, '96 Porsche 993, 2007 Boxster - and have recently enjoyed a good day being driven around Edinburgh and surrounding area in Phil's 1969 Ghia vert. The verts are more valuable than the coupés (except for the Porsches) but they are uncomfortable (in comparison) and come with their unique set of problems (leaking, noise, heat/cold, etc). The main detractors, as far as my taste is concerned, are that the car's otherwise clean lines are spoiled and that a vert is just not as driveable in all weathers as a coupé.

But, as the Romans said, "De gustibus non est disputandum."

It's no use arguing about matters of taste.

Your comments could be applied to pretty much any convertible.

My wife and I have owned 4 KG convertibles. I would never own a Ghia coupe...unless perhaps someone gave me one.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

@JohnM, is that Ruby red? it looks very bright in the sunlight.

The advantages/disadvantages of coupe V. Vert could be dependent on your location. Verts in SoCal are a year round driver. As the song said, It never rains in Southern California... We wish it would. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

That's my understanding.

Mike at the House of Ghia took a original factory paint sample card to their paint supplier for the match. It's the original color to the car, except for the white top, and single stage paint. These guys are all about the details so I think it's as correct as it could be.
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Not strictly true,i thought they built these prototype/design studies at or around the time of the coupe prototype.

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

John M wrote:
That's my understanding.

Mike at the House of Ghia took a original factory paint sample card to their paint supplier for the match. It's the original color to the car, except for the white top, and single stage paint. These guys are all about the details so I think it's as correct as it could be.

Cool Very Happy Looking good!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

It does look good.
Two tone is a great choice.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

John, congratulations on your purchase. On a side note: Looks like the wide whites replaced the 1" ww. If I remember correctly the 1" ww tires came with Ghias when purchased new at the VW dealership. Are 1" WW tires available today?. If so, where can you purchase them?
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Light Convertible value Reply with quote

Hi Karmann Gheezer,

Thanks you, we are very pleased with our purchase.

To the best of my knowledge you are absolutely correct. We had quite the debate whether to leave the 1" ww's on or go with what I wanted, the wide white walls. I liked the wide ones... Personal choice exclusively.

I believe Coker carries both. Radial or bias ply. You can choose "Coker" or BF Goodrich. I believe the Goodrich's are slightly more expensive.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: