Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dented push rod tube
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

Hello VW community, I am unsure if I did a big mistake by putting a very small dent on a push rod tube yesterday. I was having trouble removing the coolant drain screw when a noticed how easy it was to damage these tubes - dang they are thin! The dent is rather small and likely will not touch the push rod but I need to make sure since I'm planning a camping trip in mid July with my family. Please let me know what you think. Thank You.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

dont look too bad, but if you want to be sure, run the motor a bit, then pull the pushrod and see if it has wear marks in that area or not.

once the pushrod is removed, use of the correct sized wooden round stick can remove that dent from the inside negating the need to remove the pushrod tube for replacement.

been there done that.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

I too think that dent is probably harmless, but keep an eye on it for leaks.

Properly installed the tube seams are up and the possibility exists that you could have cracked the welded seam.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

Thanks Blue,
Once I get all the new coolant hoses/pipes/radiator/pump...etc. installed, I'll fire her up and cross my fingers.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

Thanks DJ,
I will inspect for leaks as well. Keeping fingers crossed
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

FYI, mine are dented like that on both heads. No issues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

Thanks Tjet,
That's a good to here.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented push rod tube Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just to give some closure on this topic, I got the van running again and I did hear a loud knocking noise at first. However, it was completely drained of coolant, oil and gas. It seemed after 10 minutes of idling or so, the knocking noise dissipated and now it sounds bliss Smile

Thanks for everything,
Noah
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: