Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much brake fluid?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonmcclintock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

Doing front and rear brakes on my '85 Westfalia this weekend, including new stainless steel lines. How much brake fluid should I buy? I checked the owner's manual and the Bentley, couldn't find any volumes in either...

-Jon
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

jonmcclintock wrote:
Doing front and rear brakes on my '85 Westfalia this weekend, including new stainless steel lines. How much brake fluid should I buy? I checked the owner's manual and the Bentley, couldn't find any volumes in either...

-Jon

I bought the 1 gal jug from the local FLAPS (Dot 3). Did all four wheel rebuild including the dreaded bleeding of course, with my expectation to completely flush the system and fill with new. I was not conservative with letting it run into my drain pan on the floor during bleeding to ensure I was getting clean fluid, and still have about 1/4 jug left. So, a gallon should serve as plenty. I think Dot 4 is also now acceptable, but NOT DOT 5.

Tip: If you have a pint bottle of brake fluid (of the same type), don't throw it away when empty - refill it from the big jug and use that to pour into the brake reservoir. Keeps things more tidy, easier to handle inside the cockpit and less chance of spillage which will possibly ruin the electronics in the instrument cluster. Even better - use a turkey baster to move the fluid from bottle to brake reservior, it works doubly well for keeping the fluid where it should be during the transfer.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellsir, I would have guessed a pint would do it. I prefer the small bottles as once they are open and partially used they do not keep well as (as I understand it) DOT 3/4 absorbs water from the atmosphere.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achtung! DOT 4 is the recommended brake fluid for Vanagons. DOT 3 has a lower boiling point and is NOT recommended.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quart (litre) is not enough, two is too much. Buy two.
jonmcclintock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quarts of DOT4 it is! Thanks folks.

-Jon
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Achtung! DOT 4 is the recommended brake fluid for Vanagons. DOT 3 has a lower boiling point and is NOT recommended.

I looked at my owners manual (the original) and it says to use DOT 3. That DOT 4 has since been developed and is now compatible with DOT 3 and is now the 'preferred' use fluid does not mean DOT 3 is NOT recommended. It is indeed recommended, as it says so in the manual.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

But, DOT 4 absorbs water more than DOT3, so the bioling point of DOT 4 will degrade sooner. If you ignore the regular flushing maintanance, DOT 3 would be a better choice, if you do regular maintanenmce, DOT would b superior

DOT 5 wont absorb water at all, but REQUIRES complete removal of all traces of old fluid (new metal lines or completely rinsed and dried old ones) and ALL rubber parts MUST be replaced with new, all rubber pistons cups, seals, and hoses. the rubber if used with DOT3/4 will have absorbed some, and when later exposed to DOT5, may cause swelling of the rubber and failure.

Two full quarts is usually what I use for a complete flush of the brakes, a little more for the clutch.

as pointed out by other, buy in smaller bottles, you dont want to have old "fresh " fluid that has been sitting for years in a partial full bottle that had been opened.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

I looked at my owners manual (the original) and it says to use DOT 3. That DOT 4 has since been developed and is now compatible with DOT 3 and is now the 'preferred' use fluid does not mean DOT 3 is NOT recommended. It is indeed recommended, as it says so in the manual.

I stand corrected. I'd swear that my owner's manual said DOT 4. I'll have to check...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

I've been throwing out unused DOT 3 brake fluid due to the possibility of water absorption, but is there much difference between a 1/2 empty bottle of brake fluid stored with the cap on vs. the brake fluid actually in the system, as far as water absorption?

Fortunately brake fluid is relatively inexpensive, but wondering if I'm being wasteful.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

you could use it to refill the reservoir for the next 2 years, BUT then the question is WHY the level is dropping

it will absorb water vapor at about the same or worse rate as the fluid in the lines, so cannot be used for your 2 year flush & fill

never toss it out - take it to a FLAPS for recycling

or your city/county Haz waste site - usually at a landfill or transfer stn.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

You can also use DOT 5.1. It's compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4. But it's expensive. I think it's cheaper to use DOT 4 and regular flushes.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

You can open a can of brake fluid and then reseal it with strong electrical tape and use it over a few years, especially in a dry climate. It will be dryer than the fluid in the brake system. It is also useful for bleeding out the junk, then finishing with freshly opened as well.

As always, some nice hard brake checks will ensure your wet boiling point does not cause a safety issue, if it does, then go get some new stuff.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

how do you know? have you tested it?

I ask because water vapor readily passes thru such a barrier, and brake fluid manf.s all say not to try and store it.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

DOT 3 or 4 is so cheap that I don't bother trying to save any leftovers after it is opened.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
how do you know? have you tested it?

I ask because water vapor readily passes thru such a barrier, and brake fluid manf.s all say not to try and store it.

40 years of such practice and never a corrosion nor boiling fluid problem. My barrier is better than the cardboard one in the original bottle.

Of course manufacturers encourage spoilage, but that's the Legal department talking.

Ymmv.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

get back to us after you have an analytical laboratory do some actual measurements

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
get back to us after you have an analytical laboratory do some actual measurements

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No need. 90 % of cars on the road are driving around with brake fluid 3x older than my 1 year old can from my stock, picking up water from the non-sealed cap. Ask your neighbors how many have changed their Toyota brake fluid semi-annually. You'll get the answer.."the dealer takes care of that" ....Which they don't.

Internet is great for amplifying myths and misinformation, but experience and data trump theory.

If people don't want to do this, that's great. I understand being careful and prudent with brake systems. I realize I'm maintaining so many cars and trailer brake systems I'm probably going through the fluid in under a year.

OTOH killing dogma from those with a vested interest in selling the stuff or the " 90% of engine wear occurs on startup" mythology makes Fora great.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

We live in an interesting society. We dump salt all over the roads making a three year old car a safety hazard and then we worry about whether the brake fluid if absorbing tiny amounts of water.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: How much brake fluid? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
We live in an interesting society. We dump salt all over the roads making a three year old car a safety hazard and then we worry about whether the brake fluid if absorbing tiny amounts of water.

It is, but it isnt worth worrying about. You will find glycol ethers actually absorb like mad - which is why the 'fresh fluid only' mantra is a bit silly. Your boiling point will actually drop to half in the first year of fluid use, then taper off over the next few years.

The salt removes a lot of immediate safety hazards, too.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: