Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Pizza Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

The pizza bus project continues! It's a '71 Deluxe that originally came out of a now defunct "Peace of Pizza" chain. It's traded hands a few times already:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...39951ff724

I bought the bus a couple of months back and have been preparing to get her back on the road by the end of the summer...fingers crossed. I've been collecting a ton of parts but in the mean time, the plan is to build a day camper out of it while keeping is mostly original looking (Elm Green Bottom/Pastel White Top)

So far, I replaced the sliding door, put in new brake lines/calipers, rotors, etc. and got the e-brake working. Planning on finishing the brake system next weekend and then I'll move onto getting the trans/motor in. I bought a 1776 that's ready to rock. Twisted Evil Before pics and current projects:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

whoever rigged those brake lines should be shot. then, shot again just to make sure....

you have a lot of work ahead of you. good luck!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
whoever rigged those brake lines should be shot. then, shot again just to make sure....

you have a lot of work ahead of you. good luck!

Think of it as a work in progress, thanks! Wink
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

did you buy the from here? I saw it listed somewhere and thought that the gas door repair was very odd....do you know what the story was to that repair?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
did you buy the from here? I saw it listed somewhere and thought that the gas door repair was very odd....do you know what the story was to that repair?

So I bought it off of craigslist from a guy near Princeton. He didn't have it very long but he had gotten it from another member on the samba. Apparently the bus was rear ended while sitting and so new sheet metal was welded in by the filler where the filler door had gotten kinked. The body needs work for sure, the welds definitely aren't amazing but I want to take this thing camping so it'll do. I'll get the body relatively straight and probably just take it to maaco when I'm done. Fortunately this bus came from Texas originally so the frame and floors are very solid.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

I bought my current Bus from a guy in Wayne, PA back in 2005. Before going to his house to look at it he had me meet him at the Peace A Pizza in King of Prussia. Your very Bus was parked in front of that place for quite a few years. I used to work near there and have eaten there on several occasions. Horrible pizza by the way. Good luck with the Bus.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

^ the general consensus is that pizza there definitely sucked. I've seen a few pictures floating around on here of the bus parked inside.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I posted in this thread so here are some pictures of the progress on my attempt to build a good "driver" bus.

I was laid off last week from my job and in the midst of job hunting I've been wrenching a lot. After grinding away the surface rust I was able to get the engine bay painted up (Rustoleum, hunter green...close enough Rolling Eyes). I'm almost on the verge of installing the engine/trans at this point.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

With your current "job" Budget limitations you might look into Tractor Supply for tractor paint . They even have a reducers and hardeners .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
With your current "job" Budget limitations you might look into Tractor Supply for tractor paint . They even have a reducers and hardeners .

I was looking to match elm green but this was the closest thing I could find. It's pretty similar actually ...more so than the John Deere paint I saw at Wal-Mart.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Good luck with the Bus and your job search.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
Good luck with the Bus and your job search.

Thanks man, owning a bus has been a dream come true. Always wanted one and with prices rising it was now or never.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

In and running, now to get it wired up and road worthy...

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
In and running, now to get it wired up and road worthy...

You're never gonna get the pizza delivered on time with your fuel filter installed the wrong way. Ditch the air filter and buy one like this, but for a '71.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1413735

Ditch that beetle muffler as soon as you can.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Haha funny you mention the fuel filter. Buddy of mine already yelled at me for that so it's changed, but for the air filter is there any actual advantage to using an oil bath filter?

The exhaust is temporary too. I was eventually going to do a quietpack.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Air filter! Yes! The filtration advantages are wonderful with the oil bath. The chrome discs do a really good job of filtering out rocks and that's about it.

The stock oil bath also provides the correct amount of flow and resistance to work with the "power" jet circuitry in your carburetor. It's possible to run lean at full throttle otherwise.

The fuel filter will run just fine backwards. I only drove for three years before it was pointed out to me that mine was backwards too........ But it filters better flowing the correct way.. Wink

If your chrome boxy electric fuel pump turns on with the key, I would personally add a safety relay to the circuitry so it will shut off in the event of an accident. If you're familiar with relay wiring, use the D+ terminal on your voltage regulator as the #86 signal terminal. That way the fuel pump will shut off if the engine stalls. If you're unfamiliar with relay wiring, just ask!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Air filter! Yes! The filtration advantages are wonderful with the oil bath. The chrome discs do a really good job of filtering out rocks and that's about it.

The stock oil bath also provides the correct amount of flow and resistance to work with the "power" jet circuitry in your carburetor. It's possible to run lean at full throttle otherwise.

The fuel filter will run just fine backwards. I only drove for three years before it was pointed out to me that mine was backwards too........ But it filters better flowing the correct way.. Wink

If your chrome boxy electric fuel pump turns on with the key, I would personally add a safety relay to the circuitry so it will shut off in the event of an accident. If you're familiar with relay wiring, use the D+ terminal on your voltage regulator as the #86 signal terminal. That way the fuel pump will shut off if the engine stalls. If you're unfamiliar with relay wiring, just ask!

Robbie

Thanks for the advice! Hmm I think I remember seeing somewhere on here that I can use a rabbit relay for this. I'm going to have to completely rewire the bus anyway so I think I'm gonna wire up a relay when I do. I was just anxious to hear it run so I tapped into the ignition. Twisted Evil
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

The four-pin $5 relay from your local NAPA will work fine; mount it out of the way of any moving parts or water potential.

30 - fused wire from the cool + (terminal 15)
87 - wire to fuel pump +
86 - wire from D+ on voltage regulator (or alternator D+ if you get one.)
85 - ground

This way you're safer. The caveat includes:
- You must have a working Gen light for your fuel pump to run.
- If you are trouble shooting a no-start, eventually you can run your carbs dry and you'll need to prime them by bridging the relay.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

I did the above for one of my temp engines with a fuel pump and it works great.

Great looking Bus and you're off to a great start!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

doublea_ron wrote:
I did the above for one of my temp engines with a fuel pump and it works great.

Great looking Bus and you're off to a great start!

Thanks man, yeah I think I'm gonna do it. The wiring is very sketchy on the bus so I'm going to do it sans the entire rewire, which is probably going to happen after paint.

...on another note, can anyone identify this sound? It's like a high pitch metallic noise. It's cringe worthy.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: