Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I have a broken spring on the base of my driver’s side seat - several actually as I discovered after taking the seat apart. They’ve been welded in the past, but the welds have failed and the springs have torn through the seat covers. The seats no longer have the original materials and I need some help figuring out what’s supposed to be there.

Tcash (miss that dude) and echebus have some good write ups on the seats and I’ve gleaned as much as I can. Looks like the order for replacement material installation is as follows:

1) Black cloth or burlap over spring frame. Anything special here or just go down to the fabric supply store and grab something that works?

2) Hair-fiber pad or molded foam pad next. Both are readily avail. Any preference here on material?

3) Cotton batting or cotton sisel next. Not sure if this the correct terminology. Any suggestions on what to use here or where to get it? Fabric store?

4) Seat cover

Also, if anyone has the bottom spring frame for a 75-76 seat, I could use some springs from it. I’m willing to pay cost plus shipping. If not, I’ll put a WTB add in the classifieds. There’s a few seats in the classified, but I don’t need the entire seat and shipping looks like it would be a pain.

As always, I greatly appreciate the help. A few pictures below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I can't help you buy I have a similar issue.

I wonder if you can just buy replacement springs. It looks like it would be easier to replace the showing rather than fix it.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

Yeah welding them never lasts long. When I've had to try and fix a broken spring or more commonly an edge wire, I sleeve it with a piece of metal tube. Brake line or metal fuel line. Which still is only to be done in a pinch in the right situation. You could go to a worthy upholstery shop that has a good variety of springs for hand tied furniture bases and find a comparable spring.
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I found some generic upholstery springs (9 gauge) that I think I can make work. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I second the brake line repairs, slid a piece of hose over each end and crimp down. Works well for one or two.

I may have a line on 76 seats. And I’m also coming to California in the near future. Hmm.....

🤔

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I second the brake line repairs, slid a piece of hose over each end and crimp down. Works well for one or two.

I may have a line on 76 seats. And I’m also coming to California in the near future. Hmm.....

🤔

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

Let me know if you’re traveling through Sacramento.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
Let me know if you’re traveling through Sacramento.

That’s actually where I’m headed, grass valley area. Shoot me a text, 206-841-7324

206-841-7324
[email protected]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I’ve bought seat springs from [email protected] before. Call or email him.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I’ve bought seat springs from [email protected] before. Call or email him.

Great idea 👍👍👍

206-523-6525

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

That should weld easily. Something isn’t being done right if that’s weld breaks
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

Best to get used seat springs from another frame and transfer them over to yours (passenger side is usually less worn). Welding never seems to work with springs. Using some sort of crimp as mentioned above is an alternative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfW2K3_Hd18

You can probably take it to an auto uphl store and they can replace the broken springs as well.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

You can probably take it to an auto uphl store and they can replace the broken springs as well.

Only if you bring them springs. So call Ken at thebusco
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
Purplebus1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I don't see very recent thread here but I wanted share some learnings I am currently struggling with. Products and offerings change all the time so here is something current.

1.) The TMI vinyl reupholster kit I bought off Bus Depot specifically says you have to use the foam/vs the fiber cushion.
2.) Bus depot only sells the fiber cushion so I bought them. (I didn't know this was a problem until I received the TMI package.)
3.) The fiber horse hair does not fit my frames.... very close, such that I have spent hours trying to get them to fit.
4.) Either TMI is crap or they are serious about not using the fiber pad. Mine tore.
5.) Bus depot does not sell burlap. They do offer the stuff that looks like carpet pad. It is probably an 1/8" compressed. Doubled up around the frame it might add a 1/4" which might be part of my problem with getting the fiber cushions to fit my frame.
6.) I am very disappointed in BD for selling incompatible parts. I have very little time to mess around with returns.

Hog rings/burlap
1.) I think the hog rings suck. I successfully stitched my prepad material down with heavy upholstery thread. Again I did this extra step to try to compress everything tight to fit my cushions.
2.) When I re cushioned by rear bench I used some solar shade material in lieu of burlap. I also used zip ties to hold this in place. It was cheap and seams to work very well. I might try this on my front seats to see if I can actually get the cushions I have to work.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

Purplebus1976 wrote:
I don't see very recent thread here but I wanted share some learnings I am currently struggling with. Products and offerings change all the time so here is something current.

1.) The TMI vinyl reupholster kit I bought off Bus Depot specifically says you have to use the foam/vs the fiber cushion.
2.) Bus depot only sells the fiber cushion so I bought them. (I didn't know this was a problem until I received the TMI package.)
3.) The fiber horse hair does not fit my frames.... very close, such that I have spent hours trying to get them to fit.
4.) Either TMI is crap or they are serious about not using the fiber pad. Mine tore.
5.) Bus depot does not sell burlap. They do offer the stuff that looks like carpet pad. It is probably an 1/8" compressed. Doubled up around the frame it might add a 1/4" which might be part of my problem with getting the fiber cushions to fit my frame.
6.) I am very disappointed in BD for selling incompatible parts. I have very little time to mess around with returns.

Hog rings/burlap
1.) I think the hog rings suck. I successfully stitched my prepad material down with heavy upholstery thread. Again I did this extra step to try to compress everything tight to fit my cushions.
2.) When I re cushioned by rear bench I used some solar shade material in lieu of burlap. I also used zip ties to hold this in place. It was cheap and seams to work very well. I might try this on my front seats to see if I can actually get the cushions I have to work.

What year is your bus? I recently bought the TMI covers, foam pads and spring cover from BD. As I recall the BD foam pad add says to check your seat to make sure they are square and not tapered. Maybe we bought different items as I bought for a ‘71 bay and not a late bay.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

fwiw when you weld a spring, its no longer a spring. the metal gets annealed and is soft, but it will at least hold.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Purplebus1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I have a 1976. BD let's you upload your model. My assumption is that only items that fit that model pop up. The foam pads were not an option and I don't recall being asked to check the shape on the seat before ordering. I do know there as a change specific to this model year. The passenger seat has an open back. The TMI kit appears to accommodate this. Note I did have to send the first TMI kit back because it was not tapered.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

These are great cheap springs that are almost “ i-dentical” ( my cousin vinny). Used them across the front. Two corners were left alone and the two centers were clipped to correct bottom diameter for the keepers to grab.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Shorts, Busted Spring, Upholstery Questions Reply with quote

I have to give all the credit for this find.

bigdaveb wrote:
A quick Google search yielded this:

https://www.albrightssupply.com/springs-s/2025.htm

Hope this helps.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: