Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

nreslifer wrote:
Let's face we're jealous and would really like to own it; anyone that tries to say otherwise is full of it. Shame on you

I wouldn't want to own one like that. I'd like about 3 like that !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

nreslifer wrote:
Let's face we're jealous and would really like to own it,anyone that tries to say otherwise is full of it. Shame on you

Would I like to have such a clean car? Sure. But I am not jealous. Not even close. I hope the owner gets a good price for it.

But the reality is ... It isn't a rare car. If I paid that kind of money for a VW, it wouldn't be a 1964 Beetle. VW made over 800,000 Beetles in 1964. I don't believe anyone can make a case that justifies the price being asked. The low miles and completeness certainly do not make it worth $1,000,000.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

nreslifer wrote:
Let's face we're jealous and would really like to own it,anyone that tries to say otherwise is full of it. Shame on you

Meh, I don't know about that. Maybe if it came with it's own garage I'd be happy to have it, but I'd rather not sacrifice the storage space for something I could never drive. I'd rather have something I could use and not feel bad about, and I don't have any interest in trailering a car to shows.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
nreslifer wrote:

Meh, I don't know about that. Maybe if it came with it's own garage I'd be happy to have it, but I'd rather not sacrifice the storage space for something I could never drive. I'd rather have something I could use and not feel bad about, and I don't have any interest in trailering a car to shows.

Anyone who would buy that car and drive it would be a fool. The car is a museum piece and should be conserved and displayed. If you have a car with 5,000 miles on it then driving it occasionally wouldn't really kill the value but a car with 22 miles is a different story.

Having said that, I think $1 million is crazy. '48 Tuckers go for as much as the $3,000,000 range but there were only around 50 ever made so they just a wee bit rarer.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

A Facebook article posted this week says the owner has turned down a standing offer of $500,000. Classic quote from a seller...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Next up, I offer 5000 Centavos

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
A Facebook article posted this week says the owner has turned down a standing offer of $500,000. Classic quote from a seller...

Money isn’t the root of all evil, greed is. I don’t understand the need for a useless and outrageously expensive car, but I guess people who have endless money can afford to have an expensive prop to stare at.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

If I had $1000 for every time I've heard that I might have $500K.

It's always some crazy amount too.

In fact I can't think of a situation where someone said that where I didn't immediately think this:
If that was true, you are a fool for not taking it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
neil68 wrote:

In fact I can't think of a situation where someone said that where I didn't immediately think this:

I literally just encountered that when chatting with a guy that had posted in the 58-67 whine section. He has a really clean pearl white ‘63 bug with super nice original interior. It needs some serious detailing, and for some reason the original engine is in a million pieces. He told me he turned down $25,000, but he was ready to sell, and he wanted that same $25,000. I politely told him that the offer was bs, and nobody in their right mind would pay $25k for a non running ‘63 hardtop. I hear stories like that all the time, and every single one ends the same, it never happens.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
neil68 wrote:

X999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I'll give him 1,000,000.... Pesos.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I don't want the car (or the responsibility) but I DO want 1000 close up photos for reference Cool
Laughing

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

Money isn’t the root of all evil, greed is. .

Correct.
The LOVE of money is the root of all evil (not just the money)
1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV)
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I’d drive it... you never see a hurse with a tow bar on the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
neil68 wrote:

Although I do think the $500k offer sounds a little fishy, I’ve witnessed quite a few over the top offers on vehicles get turned down. Not everyone is full of shit. There are buyers that spend six figures on vehicles as frequently as some spend three figures. There are owners that DON’T need the money, and sometimes sentimental value is much greater than the monetary offer.

There was a 93 RSR Carrera that was sold through Sotheby’s last year with 10 kilometers that went for 2,016,000 pounds. With only 51 being made, this is “slightly” more rare than the Beetle, but maybe this is why the Beetle owner thinks it’s worth seven figures. I could see a collector at auction pass the $100k mark for the Beetle, but not $500k.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I’d drive it... you never see a hurse with a tow bar on the back.

Exactly!!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Some of the most "astute" collectors are registered here on The Samba and I can only think of ONE person that might pay even $100,000 for this VW. If you would pay $100,000 for this VW please say so here! Again, yes it is rare in the fact it is virtually unused, but it is still a VW. Nothing can turn this beautiful old VW into anything but an old beautiful VW. I really believe this ad is more of a stunt to raise interest or establish interest.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I'd buy it and slam it on earlies just to rustle the jimmies of the purists.

but seriously, id like to see some photos of the heater channel to body panel welds for reference.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I wish I had been at the whatever show this car had been at, I would have been all over it like flies on you-know-what with my camera, shooting everything I could think of. I can't imagine very many other pristine examples of "factory stock" exist than this.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

So, its been another couple of months. This thread was started a couple of years ago. Where is the interest.(common sense) interest in this vehicle. I see it is still listed on Hemmings for 1 million dollars. There is no doubt it is outrageously fine, probably the nicest 1964 in existence, but I personally believe that its highest price level is about $100K.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: