Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starter broke
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: starter broke Reply with quote

new starter, new bushings, full battery, no teeth missing on flywheel

i started my engine after sitting for years, with basic adjustment all went well when keeping a foot on the gas, once warmed up the engine stopped again because i was too late giving some gas, after that engine won't start anymore..

The only thing that is happening is that the starter is spinning freely

removed the starter, bushing in tranny looked ok, still no teeth missing, tested it on the bench, the starter gear latches to the front and the starter turns..

What could be wrong here?

edit: just tested a bit more, when holding the key to start, the engine spins sometimes, after that stops for a moment, and spins again, sometimes grinding noise sometimes spinning freely starter noise Rolling Eyes
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: starter broke Reply with quote

Pull the starter out and bench test it. The bending drive may be broken or it could be the forks that push it out are broken.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: starter broke Reply with quote

Which brand starter?
Could be new, but defective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: starter broke Reply with quote

So have been looking further in this because i know nothing about this

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690465&start=0

Because my engine was 6v (changed electrics to 12v) i have a 109 tooth flywheel, counted the tooth from the starter opening because the engine is mounted. Don't know if it is the 180mm version or the 6v 200mm version mentioned in the topic above, prob the 180mm

So that means that the 12v starter wil not engage because of the tooth outlining

my car is a type 3 1500cc, with 1600cc piston and cylinders

i don't want to remove the engine, again Rolling Eyes

would the 180mm be a problem for this setup?

according to this website it was originally 45hp with the 1600cc heads would be 54hp or something
https://www.ultimatespecs.com/nl/auto-technische-gegevens-specificaties/Volkswagen/M6396/Type-3

the starter is a bosch 6 004 AA0 021
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: starter broke Reply with quote

If it had a 6v starter and you put in a 12v it will not work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: