Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

I know this bad boy is expensive, but with the current cost of "normal" mag and aluminum cases these days, not so much.
Has no one used this case for a high performance street build?
I know that it was designed for racing, but it "seems" to have everything a bulletproof street engine would need.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

Your correct, the prices of current new cases set up for strokers at $1000, Spending another $300-$400 to have a great foundation is worth every penny to me. I paid for one already and waiting for it to be completed. I spent about $1700 or so total because I had some extra work done, and also for that price got the competition engineering drop cam gears.

Todd is a seriously nice guy, and that case has some really nice features. My guess is a lot of aircooled people are too cheap to go for it.

He has a fresh batch as we speak that he is working on, place your orders now for a sweet @ss foundation to build on:

http://precisionalloy.com/pages/tf-1.html
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

I kinda wish I had saved a few more months & got the TF case instead of another bubbletop case. and now Im thinken on changing to type/water box pattern....on my 2332 &2393...it's a vicious cycle with 4 wheels Wink
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

There is no better case than the TF-1, invest in it now and have it for life. It is well proven and the cream of the crop in my opinion. I have one NOS ARPM case left that I have been hanging on to for decades so I have my diamond already, but I myself would be buying extras of the TF-1 like I did with ARPM because some day they might become unobtainium just like ARPM did.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
There is no better case than the TF-1, invest in it now and have it for life. It is well proven and the cream of the crop in my opinion. I have one NOS ARPM case left that I have been hanging on to for decades so I have my diamond already, but I myself would be buying extras of the TF-1 like I did with ARPM because some day they might become unobtainium just like ARPM did.

Great minds think alike, you said it perfectly. Its so good its worth buying one now just to have for a future build.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

I wish i would have bought one too..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

Wow...glad I asked, thanks!
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Wow...glad I asked, thanks!

i pesonaly had all kinds of problems with a brand new bubble top ..
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

my first bubble tophad 2 issues. the cylinders were not bores for clearance for the piston skirt at the bottom of the stroke(realy a non issue as deburing normaly gets it done...for those whoo do that stuff) and the dist drive gear didnt have enough clearance(gear hit the case) so a little work there and the rest was all good. I always realigine the oil gallys in all engines very few are right on all of them.and engines with a sloted bearing I add a trough to feed the bearings adequately about 1/2"to 3/4" .oil flow is as importaint as head flow.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my first bubble tophad 2 issues. the cylinders were not bores for clearance for the piston skirt at the bottom of the stroke(realy a non issue as deburing normaly gets it done...for those whoo do that stuff) and the dist drive gear didnt have enough clearance(gear hit the case) so a little work there and the rest was all good. I always realigine the oil gallys in all engines very few are right on all of them.and engines with a sloted bearing I add a trough to feed the bearings adequately about 1/2"to 3/4" .oil flow is as importaint as head flow.

Mark, I'd love to hear more about he trough...please
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

The best part is high quality materials, and the through bolts.

The wbx to air is trick, and die cast vs sand cast, but still not through bolted.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

The factory Magnesium cases are plenty strong enough for a 250 HP street or race engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
itHaKa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

it also has a full flow port to the left, which is great, and the option to go to 4 inch bore, with a 90 crank you could get a 2919cc engine !!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

That case just has allot going for it ...
"
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The factory Magnesium cases are plenty strong enough for a 250 HP street or race engine.

I hear ya Dave, and agree, for me, I like the idea of getting a couple hundred thousand miles out of the case.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

and the oe cases were plenty strong for the 40,53&60 hp thats why there all DEAD. go figure.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
and the oe cases were plenty strong for the 40,53&60 hp thats why there all DEAD. go figure.
This.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

but!!!! there great for bion fires and cheep asses.....I will have to addmit I put a nos as 21 case in my bug...my 2028. it was just a spain motor any way till everybody elses shit got in the way of me finishing my 2332&2393 both bubble toper cases. funny how that works.you help them and.. they dissapear.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

HA! good one Mark

Lets put it like this...................buying a TF1 probably IS a good investment.

For your application, a good mag case would be adequate, a good as21 case could live ALMOST forever, but when they are dead, they are dead, and not worth anything. STOCK cases weren't all perfecteither, some German AS21 cases are porous and leak oil right through the metal LOL, so, leaving the MAG cases alone, for the rest of us to hoard, might be a fine decision.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TF-1 (Todd Francis) Precision Alloy case... Reply with quote

yup I think mine has a pourious spot, no leeks but seeps.I pulled it appart after 2 years or so to rreseal it...same as before. my aluminum cases were dry, totaly dry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: