Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Tank Vent hoses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Does anyone know the ID for these hoses? I believe these are the source if my fuel smell as I have replaced the sending unit gasket and the vapor tube.

Appreciate the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

I think they are 7mm but could be wrong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

I used 5mm German braided hose. But they're actually 4mm.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Thanks!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

By the way, if you use the 5mm German braided fuel hose, use clamps just to snug them a bit. Don't over tighten. The 5mm wasn't really loose, I just used clamps because I wanted to make damn sure I was doing all I could to eliminate my fuel smell.

However, I think Jbugs sells the 4 mm, if you want to go that route. But my 5mm worked well.

I think the 4 mm wouldn't require any clamps.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

I think it is 3.5mm inside diameter. Here is some on http://m.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Diesel-Fuel-Injector-R...Ciid%253A7
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

I used the same on my '71 super. I replaced ALL the soft lines in the trunk. I also used clamps and my fuel smell disappeared.

OP also check that the long little plastic tank/condenser thingy isn't cracked or damaged. If it is you'll get fuel smell from it.
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

I used the same on my '71 super. I replaced ALL the soft lines in the trunk. I also used clamps and my fuel smell disappeared.

OP also check that the long little plastic tank/condenser thingy isn't cracked or damaged. If it is you'll get fuel smell from it.

Thanks! Any idea the length I need to replace what's in the trunk?

I've already replaced the plastic tank/condenser thingy (technical name) as my original was cracked.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411026&highlight=fuel+evaporative

http://www.bughaus.com/fuel_line_-_N203751.htm
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

I think I bought 15ft when I did mine and had a little bit left over. You could always get a shoe lace and hold it up to each line for a rough guesstimate.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

That "white plastic thingy" is called an expansion chamber.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
That "white plastic thingy" is called an expansion chamber.

Tim

Haha, I personally prefer "white plastic thingy".

Appreciate the help. Any FLAPs sell hoses this size? Or should I just order online?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Order the green German hose from Bughaus.

Look above at Green's post for the link, as I doubt that any flaps has it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Order the green German hose from Bughaus.

Look above at Green's post for the link, as I doubt that any flaps has it.

Tim

Thanks. Just checking to see if I could just fix it this weekend.
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

for non purists and a fix that will outlive most of us....go to lawn and garden store and get there best quality fuel hose for string trimmers...very flexible and can fit the nipples tightly without clamps
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Did you replace the plastic line from the passenger side expansion chamber fitting that loops back across above the chamber and exits under the fuel tank to the metal line to the canister. If so did you use the same 5mm hose?

Dave

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Nope, that line on my system was fine; although I don't see an issue with using the fuel line. It's just a conduit for fumes, after all. As long as you don't kink it, you'll be fine.

By the way, I looked for a thread that showed where all the lines attached, and I couldn't find it. One poster shows all of them attached. His car was dark blue, but I can't remember his screen name. Hopefully he'll repost here.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim! I found this....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667399&highlight=plastic+vent+lines

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

While standing in front of the car, your left will be the passenger side, your right will be the driver side (in the U.S., anyway). So I'll give directions according to this view, which is completely opposite of most left and right directions when working on a bug.

On the right side of the expansion chamber, you have two male fittings. A hose attaches to each one of these, and those hoses are routed to two small male fittings on the right backside of the fuel tank.

On the left side of the expansion chamber, you also have two male fittings. The top fitting has a small clear hose attached to it and that bends and attaches to the blue/green plastic conduit that runs under your cowl, then down around the right hinge, then down through the body of the car, and eventually going all the way back to your charcoal canister.

The bottom left male fitting is a bit trickier. A hose attaches to it and connects to a small "T". Then one branch of the T has a hose which attaches to the middle nipple of your large "T" (the T that has, on either end, a fat 15mm bent hose that runs to the left back of your tank, as well as another bent hose that attaches to a large nipple that's screwed into your filler pipe).

Going back to the small T, you have one end still free. You attach another small hose to this end and run that hose to a small nipple that is located toward the front of the left side of your tank.

This should cover your hose routing.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Keithus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Vent hoses Reply with quote

Hi mergedown,

I have a 1978 cabrio carburetor fed super beetle and my vent hoses have all been mixed up with the windscreen water hoses by a mechanic that worked on the car previously. I need to start again from the beginning I think. One of the small hoses is tucked into a gap that takes it straight to the road and causes a horrible smell when I turn left. have you had this issue at all, any pictures or advice would be great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: