Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Westy - first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kick Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Love this, great colour and a Westy, plus it's the best year Very Happy
Great work you have done on everything so far.
Looking forward to seeing the camping pics.
My 72 Kombi: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922816#7922816
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Brilliant thread, the westy looks great!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Dang, nice work. Makes mine look like a hack job.

No way brother I enjoyed your build. Plus you can actually drive your bus places. Mine just sits still, waiting.

Thanks guys I appreciate the positive nudge.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Nice looking build! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it when you first bought it? I'm looking to set a budget and this seems like a nice bus.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Nice looking build! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it when you first bought it? I'm looking to set a budget and this seems like a nice bus.

$3500.
Get in as low and complete as you can. Buy what you know you can fix. I would say engine work and welding are the two most expensive to-do's.

I have over $4k into my motor and its not done yet Smile

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Happy New Year folks! Took a bit of a break due to the holiday and managing two little kids with a week+ of school closure and a last minute cancellation with daycare but still got to sneak out to the garage here and there and make some progress.

-Case half and main bearing bolts torqued down
-Endplay set at exactly 0.004, I think I spent 2+ hours on this alone
-Oil pump disassembled, lubed with white lithium grease and replaced the O-ring
-Flywheel reinstalled after lubricating shims with white lithium and installing Victor Reinz rear main seal. Torq'd to 80ft lb.
-Started mocking up jug and piston and reading about Deck Height and compression ratios. Taking it slow.
-Most of the tin degreased and painted. This engine was a mess, likely with a bad oil leak and driven in a sandy environment. I powerwashed all of the tin this summer, and still had tons of scrubbing to get every nook. Still more to do.

Oh and I convinced the wife to let me build the engine in the house. Cool My son took all of these pics with this new camera, he likes to capture all of the "moments".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Painted most of the tin.

Endplay madness. Borrowed a fancy Snap-On dial indicator from my wife's boss. She works for a company who resells remanufactured engines for newer vehicles.

Yes thats a propane fireplace. It does the trick as long as its over 20 degrees outside.

If you look closely you will see I lubed the shaft bearing with a bit of wheel bearing grease.

Deck Height, before tightening down the jug for a better measurement.

Upgraded workshop. Warmth, Pandora Radio on the TV, and a cold beer I really can't complain.

And my 6 year old daughter. I had no idea she would be THIS into the whole bus build. Weathering the 2" blizzard haha.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Think you can work your magic on my wife and convince her to let me rebuild my engine in the house too?!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Think you can work your magic on my wife and convince her to let me rebuild my engine in the house too?!

Haha of course! The trick is to make it about them, not you. The idea behind the engine in the house is so that she can learn more about the inner-workings of this beast without freezing her ass off AND I can spend more time with the family. Its important to focus on how clean everything is at this stage, do not overlook this part in your sales presentation. Good luck! Cool

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Just think how excited you daughter will be when you rebuilt bus goes on it's first camping trip! Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Just think how excited you daughter will be when you rebuilt bus goes on it's first camping trip! Wink

I seriously can't wait, also I appreciate your vote of confidence. It better run!

tewfiks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

You are truly inspirational to the rest of us.
I have the EXACT same bus. Finally got back to reassembling the engine last week. I have never heard my westy run, but eager to get it in the shape you have to yours.
Many thanks for sharing.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

tewfiks wrote:
You are truly inspirational to the rest of us.
I have the EXACT same bus. Finally got back to reassembling the engine last week. I have never heard my westy run, but eager to get it in the shape you have to yours.
Many thanks for sharing.

Thanks man, I appreciate that but this bus is just a piece of furniture until it drives.

So I went to auto zone thinking, "hey maybe they can test my alternator?"

No, they can't. In case anyone was wondering 😀. So I spent time cleaning more parts, push rods, push rod tubes, fan assembly, oil fill tube, etc. pics would bore you guys.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Finished a huge house project which set me back, but I still managed to squeeze a few sessions in during a couple of weeknights.
I struggled with my deck height until finally getting it right. I now have a 7:3:1 compression as recommended by amskeptic/Colin. Thanks man!

I cut PVC to length so it would hold the jug tight to the case and then I used a feeler gauge:

With the deck height sorted I was able to get pistons, cylinders and heads installed. I used valve lapping compound to true up the surfaces where the jugs meat the engine case. I had to remove all of the studs which was pretty time consuming.
Permatex ultra grey was my schmutz chosen.

Outsourced the rebuild of my fuel pump and thermostat. My thermostat was popped and my fuel pump was unknown. My job is going well so I decided to save time rather than money. Truth be told I could never make mine look this nice! Very Happy

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Did any one tell ya what a great job your doing Laughing Laughing

When you put your fuel pump on- check the rod length, and install the fuel lines BEFORE you put the pump in-

Make sure the pressure relief below #1 cylinder is free moving.

Not wanting to cause trouble- but the idle pin in the oil pump looks like it might have moved towards the cam gear- might want to pull the pump and put a blob of clay or putty on it and reassemble over a cam bolt- then check to see how squished it is. I see ray pins all of his pumps.

Lots of great "rebuild" forums here- That noise the oil pump makes when being kissed by those bolt head has made many good blocks being torn down because it is mistaken for a rod. Embarassed Embarassed :roll

:[img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

williamM wrote:

Thanks man. I'm trying my best.

williamM wrote:
Not wanting to cause trouble- but the idle pin in the oil pump looks like it might have moved towards the cam gear- might want to pull the pump and put a blob of clay or putty on it and reassemble over a cam bolt- then check to see how squished it is. I see ray pins all of his pumps.

You aren't causing trouble at all, I appreciate you noticing. Now lets see if I understand....are you talking about the round pin thats about the diameter of a dime thats slightly off center and closer to the part number in the housing? I noticed in your two pics it protrudes on one and is recessed on the other, if thats it. And when you said Ray pins them, are you saying I should peen them, as in take a drift or punch and peen a section of its surrounding to stop it from protroding/getting too close to cam gear?

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
williamM wrote:

williamM wrote:

You aren't causing trouble at all, I appreciate you noticing. Now lets see if I understand....are you talking about the round pin thats about the diameter of a dime thats slightly off center and closer to the part number in the housing? I noticed in your two pics it protrudes on one and is recessed on the other, if thats it. And when you said Ray pins them, are you saying I should peen them, as in take a drift or punch and peen a section of its surrounding to stop it from protroding/getting too close to cam gear?

the pin the driven gear goes on can move. The best way - after engine is buttoned up is to use the puddy. align up a cam bolt and put the empty pump back in. then remove and see how much the stuff squished out. If it's real tight- press the pin back into the housing till at least it's flush with the pump body.

Then find a roll pin and matching drill- to set the piece so it will never move.

peening only works as good as the surface it's pushing against- I like to drill and pin the shaft.

[img]

As you can see this set of rivets is moments away fro destruction. The pin on the oil pump had virtually any wear from the near destruction about to ensue-- owner tore down the motor in search of major lower end problem when it was the oil pump. [/img]

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Schwing wrote:
williamM wrote:

williamM wrote:

the pin the driven gear goes on can move. The best way - after engine is buttoned up is to use the puddy. align up a cam bolt and put the empty pump back in. then remove and see how much the stuff squished out. If it's real tight- press the pin back into the housing till at least it's flush with the pump body.

Then find a roll pin and matching drill- to set the piece so it will never move.

peening only works as good as the surface it's pushing against- I like to drill and pin the shaft.

I have been rotating the engine and I don't hear any contact? Does this pin eventually works its way all the way out? I guess I need to get my hands on a puller. This sounds involved.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

They only need to get hot enough to allow that pin to release from its press fit. I'll see if I can get a pic of the last one I took in- it has some very light marks on that pin but the cam rivets show a lot of distortion. It is extended about the same as yours.

Don't step in any!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Ok had a few good sessions since last time. Man these type 4's take a lot of time!

Next up were the deflectors that went under the heads. That middle screw I am pointing at is very special since it is a different pitch than your average tin screw. Set those aside when you disassemble.
***Note, the engine is upside down in these pictures

Solid spacers for the rockers. These replace the factory spring setup and should cutdown on the side to side action.

Installed to check geometry at half lift and surprisingly very good. Should be fine with the swivel feet.

I bit the bullet and purchased genuine porsche swivel feet. Its disappointing to pay that much and get such a small package but I was stil excited to have them. I took absolutely no pics but I had to grind down over 2mm on each rocker arm. This took hours in between other household duties.

Oil cooler. Don't forget the grommets.

Fan hub. Tom Wilson book doesn't mention the O-ring thats required between the fan hub and the crank. Oh, I also replaced the front crank seal which is not included in the rebuild kit.

I finally understand how all of the tin goes back together and of course I discovered even more rubber bits and seals that I still need. There is a chance I might fire this up within the next week.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

If anyone is still following, I'm making some headway after tons of reading.
I had the kids paint the fan shroud with their own original artwork since in a lot of ways this is their camper too. Tons of fun I'm proud of my little artists.

-fan installed
-fan shroud
-thermostat,pulley, and flaps (tested with heat gun, working great)
-cooling tin, had to fumble quite a bit but I got it
-alternator
-fan belt
-spark plugs
-wires
-fuel line
-coil
-oil filler
-dipstick
-carbs
-intake
-carb wiring needs to be redone, what a mess gonna start over

And after xhausting the search feature and digging through the inter webs including mayor ratwell I have questions and I need help. I was unable to find anything in my Bentley either.

What is this again? On my diagram upon disassembly the previous owner had both lines from this running to the left carb and I doubt that's correct. Or maybe it is?

Where should this connect to?

And this?

Also this

And this port on the air cleaner, actually left open on ratwells image

Lastly, I believe this is for the brake servo/booster but it's not clear to me how it orients or what the three ends connect to? I'm guessing it's each of the ports on the backside of the intakes and the third one goes forward to the booster?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: