Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding camper window...need seals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need help finding these seals. I usually buy my seals from WW since their website is so easy to use, but I cannot find these seals. I also looked on Busdepot but also did not see them. Busdepot does have a seal for a stationary glass which the description also implies that it can be used for VW sliding window? I do not see how that will be possible since the current seal on my bus looks to be sandwiched in place. I am starting to believe that the louvered window type seal will work for this but I wanted to get some of your opinions on this. Thank you

69 Sunroof Beetle-AirheadParts Treffen 18
DD-70 Baywindow Camper-AirheadParts Treffen 21
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

Looks like a Riviera window, somebody had located the original manufacturer who amazingly still sold some parts for them, but I can't find the thread on it right now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

I have an old dry jalousie window seal I replaced last week. I can send it to you if you want to see if it would work before ordering one. Came out of the sliding door.
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

Thank you both for the quick response. I didn’t even know where to start looking, but now that I know they are riviera windows, that helps out a ton. As far as sending that old seal, let me keep digging up more info first. I might just give up and find some louvered windows for it. Thanks again

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

I've got a Rivi sliding window that I'm interested in selling. I know it needs seals, so it would be good to have this info!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

These are also an option. For the price, I think they are a good alternative. Louvered or jalousie windows are expensive, complicated and hard to find in good working shape.
http://www.busdepot.com/j11584

Edit:
vwwestyman - you're welcome to the seal as well!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

Ha! Those windows are why I don't really need the one anymore!

I had purchased it intending to swap out one jalousie window in my Westy to get more airflow while driving.

Instead, I changed both rear windows with the sliding versions.

The only downside of those things is the latch has fallen off two our three of them. (I've also installed 4 of them in my '73.)

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

I had seen those before and honestly now that I am looking at louvered window prices, these make way more money sense to me. Thank you for reminding me of those Mispeld. How are those windows working out for you vwwestyman? Other than the latches, do they seal good and function well?

Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

vocho_702 wrote:
I had seen those before and honestly now that I am looking at louvered window prices, these make way more money sense to me. Thank you for reminding me of those Mispeld. How are those windows working out for you vwwestyman? Other than the latches, do they seal good and function well?

I believe they even come with the seal. Plus you can drive with them open unlike jalousie/vented windows (although we do). So I'd take that into consideration too if you're looking for air flow while underway.

I don't have these sliding windows so I can't speask of the quality.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

My bus came with that sliding window on both sides (yes - '77 Riviera).

I too looked.. and looked.... and looked.... for seals to rebuild those but was unable to source anything. I supposed an hour at the local big glass company in their stock room might yield workable materials, but that was not of any interest to me.

I ended up going with the Bus depot slider (actually from JustKampers I believe) in the sliding door and a rebuilt Jalousie on the Driver's side ( I got the old one from Big Emma and Big Emma got the old one from KentPS).

I would love info on the seals for the old slider if anyone can find them.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding camper window...need seals Reply with quote

vocho_702 wrote:

Overall, I'm still pretty happy with them. For a late Westy, there aren't any issues with opening/closing them with that cabinet on the side, and the added airflow is wonderful on a hot day.

They are very tight to install and a little difficult to get the seal in correctly.

One other note on the latch: if installed on a slider door, if the window is not all the way open or closed, the latch does interfere with the C pillar when opening up the sliding door. Not a huge issue, but it is a minor annoyance.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: