Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I used to pour into one of these and then transfer.
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-G524-Fl...shopz0d-20
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's to keeping it clean
Tcash

I use one of those for the rest of the vehicles in the fleet, but there's no way you can tip that up in a bus engine compartment.

Last oil change I couldn't find my funnel and I had a 5 qt bottle, so I bored a hole in the lid that was just the right size to jam in a length of 3/8" ID vinyl tubing, insert tube and squeeeeeze, didn't work bad at all.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

On a stock 1600 DP I keep a FLAPS oil spout in the bus. This is the current favorite...
[img]

It fits 1 quart and gallon jugs and makes it possible to add oil without
removing the air cleaner, but at least they're flimsy and made from recycled milk jugs. I'll by 2 next time I see them.
[/img]
72 Baja
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
On a stock 1600 DP I keep a FLAPS oil spout in the bus. This is the current favorite...
[img]

It fits 1 quart and gallon jugs and makes it possible to add oil without
removing the air cleaner, but at least they're flimsy and made from recycled milk jugs. I'll by 2 next time I see them.
[/img]

I just bought one of those. Haven't tried it yet.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Rubber Duck wrote:

I use that method to pour the oil into Merc and LC. This is the oil can I use:

There are transfer pumps for 5 gallon buckets.
https://www.google.com/search?q=5+gallon+oil+hand+...CVoQsAQIYQ

Here's to keeping it clean
Tcash

My mechanic actually has one of those little jobbies, except that his is clear plastic and has measure on it. I've been to kms, Cndn tire and Lordco and could never find it. I like the measure for obvious reasons, and all I'd need is a long hose with a clip on the end of it and pour from outside the back.

It won't really be poured from within the engine compartment if the hose was long enough, and there was a way to keep the hose clipped to the breather opening.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:

I use one of those for the rest of the vehicles in the fleet, but there's no way you can tip that up in a bus engine compartment.

You do not need to tip it up. It has a flexible spout on it with an on off trigger with a little rubber stop. I have put a length of hose on the pour spout in the past to get into tight spots. If you press down on the thumb trigger and push it to the side, it stays open. So you can walk away.
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:

You do not need to tip it up. It has a flexible spout on it with an on off trigger with a little rubber stop. I have put a length of hose on the pour spout in the past to get into tight spots. If you press down on the thumb trigger and push it to the side, it stays open. So you can walk away.
Tcash

Yeah, I can see it working with an extension hose so it's outside the engine compartment, but there's no way to get it higher than the filler with the spout that's on it.

Rubberduck, seen this?

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-litre-oil-flask/A-p8492589e

I got my metal ones at a farm stor that's long gone, maybe a trip to Lynden WA is in your future?, plenty of real farmers around there still.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Interesting... looks like overkill:

I like the looks of this one:

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/emp...nt-p-14502
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

This is the ultimate....very versatile.......built by Mityvac.... it will suck oil out or flip a valve and fill the cylinder with up to 8 liters and transfer. I bought it to pull oil out of Mercedes Benz cars because of all the bullshit underneath you have to pull off. This is what they use in dealerships....works like a bike pump, so its portable.....I haven't used it to put oil in yet, just to suck it out.......so much easier. It was less than 100 bucks at Tooltopia.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Great for sucking, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be too lazy to clean it out in order to put fresh oil in for refills. I'd need two.

Here's another interesting tool: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/7-1-2-litre-manual-oil-dispenser/A-p8505661e

But the ultimate is a Graco air operated bulk drum pump with a digital meter in the nozzle and a long hose, I had a tenant bail on me and leave one, squeeze the trigger and it's done in way under a minute, the only drawback is you need one for each grade of oil you use. Likely not worth the investment for home use unless you are a tool whore.

Слава Україні!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

That Mityvac is fantastic. I've used it on all the cars and trucks we have, riding and push mowers, a cattle sprayer, a Ford tractor.....it's great. No more crawling around under the vehicles.

These newer cars have "life time" fluid fills in the auto transmissions. My Mercedes Benz cars have no dip stick or dip stick tube for that matter and they have a crazy fill through the drain plug way of changing trans fluid if a customer wants to have it changed. The first time I changed the fluid, I measured how much I dumped out, then used a cheap bottle pump to pump the new trans fluid. Next oil change, it's the Mityvac's turn.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

3 pages of how to add oil to a bus. How did VW ever sell so many buses? AND how it is so many are still on the road? Worse - We had to pour from cans with spouts back then. How did we ever do that?

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Back "in the day" we didn't use cans. We had a compressed air dispensing system that used bulk oil. Cans never did work worth a shit.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Steve, I have to pick at you a little bit - your topic on transmission coatings got a lot more attention than I was expecting too Laughing

Anyone can add oil to a car... I just don't like spilling it all over something I spent a lot of time and money rebuilding, and getting that greasy dirt film all over.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
3 pages of how to add oil to a bus. How did VW ever sell so many buses? AND how it is so many are still on the road? Worse - We had to pour from cans with spouts back then. How did we ever do that?

There's a previous thread or 5 on this subject, in one I tested the stab in can spout and it works like magic, no spills and goes in fast, clearly what the filler neck was designed to accomodate, damn plastic bottles.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

There's a previous thread or 5 on this subject, in one I tested the stab in can spout and it works like magic, no spills and goes in fast, clearly what the filler neck was designed to accommodate, damn plastic bottles.

Next you are going to be telling us you have a church key?

Bringing back memories
Tcash
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Old farts rule.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Old farts rule.

Ha! Old farts rule, until we drool.
Tcash
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Wow.. I haven't seen one of those babies in quite a long time. I bet folks under 35 are looking at that going WTH is that?

While I feel old knowing what it is, I can say I only used it as a KID helping my Dad change the oil in our cars. He allowed me to insert it in the oil cans for him. By the time I was a car owner, those were long gone.. Very Happy Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

Canned oil was mostly in the paper sided cans with metal tops and bottoms by the time I had my own car, and plastic bottles were just starting to show up.
I found that spout in a parts bus under the back seat and had a few cans of Esso aviation oil so I figured I'd give it a try. I saved the cans and sometimes pour new oil in them to use the spout since it works so well.

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil to a T1 baywindow without spilling everywhere Reply with quote

In the picture posted above, the air filter is removed. There's no issue with plastic bottles when the filter is removed.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: