Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

Emissions - fine.

Evap test - fail. This is a year after I replaced all lines and grommets in the fuel system. Sad

The tech (who appeared perfectly OK with testing a Vanagon, BTDTGTTS he said) says he clamped a line near the charcoal canister, then pressurised the system to just over 1 PSI via a special replacement fuel filler cap. My problem is that I can't see any line near the charcoal canister that could be clamped - they're all hard plastic. There is a short rubber hose join in the vent tube to the canister half-way along that might be suitable - but there's no sign of a clamp having been used there.

However - that join is the perfect place to do a bit of DIY testing - I could perhaps add a bit of pressure there back to the tank and see where any leaks are.

Hrrmph...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

find a smog place that does not own the correct adaptor cap for the vanagon and they will enter NA for the evap test and you pass. some smog places evidently stock a wider range of adaptor caps than others. I got two classic cars one the vanagon that never get the evap test cause the palce I go to does not have the cap!!!! the vangon fuel cap is some what unique, so some palce just dont have a cap for it. I am in the greated san fransisco bay area also, so you should be able to find a place that will give you a passing NA and then you are good to al it will aslo save you some money in some cases as some shops charge extra for the evap test.

so shop around, ask them before the retest if they have the cap or not.

since you have aleady failed, you may have to get a passing test, but next time in two years when the test time arrives, search out a shop that dont have a cap that fits the van.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

Oh boy, this is such a fun topic. I went through this when I got a BAR sticker for my Subaru conversion.

Vanagons are considered N/A (not applicable) for the evap test for CA smog. Since the lines are hard from the charcoal canister to the fuel tank, there is no readily achievable way to isolate the system without making modifications. Therefore, you should get a pass with N/A. I think it is very likely that your tech put a clamp on the hard line and detected a pressure leak, because he didn't actually isolate the system. I would go to another smog station and hope they look up to see that the evap test for Vanagons is N/A and you can move right along.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

This thread includes my post regarding the evap adventure I went through...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...california
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

There is no place near the canister that can be clamped. The line is hard plastic, clamping it will damage it. Go to this test station:

http://starsmogcheckredwoodcity.com/

They understand vanagon and will not fail you on the evap system.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
There is no place near the canister that can be clamped. The line is hard plastic, clamping it will damage it. Go to this test station:

http://starsmogcheckredwoodcity.com/

They understand vanagon and will not fail you on the evap system.

Thank you for the tip, and I'm now considering that - but as I've got seven weeks before registration is finally due I'm going to try to nail this so it does actually pass the Evap test. I'll be asking the tech at the local place where he clamped the line - although I could see no sign of a clamp having been used on the rubber join (just further to the rear of the van than the fuel filter) that might have been the place. It's possible (if this isn't an OEM join) that a previous owner or garage annoyingly added this join just so the line could be clamped for the Evap test.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

When I finally went through my entire evap system I ended up disconnecting the hard line at the charcoal canister that goes to the gas tank, attaching a piece of flexible hose, and then I blew into the hose and clamped it off (didn't taste good). You only want 1 or 2 psi. You could be elaborate and attach a tee with a very low pressure guage and you could even use a bike pump but put very little pressure on it. 1 or 2 psi only! If it holds pressure for a few minutes, you are good to go.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

trans auto repair in redwood city knows how to smog the vanagon, great service, they wont be trying to clamp a hard plastic line. been getting my van done there for years. 50 bucks out the door. they also are the only place I could find to smog my triumph. lots of shops dont even know triump even made cars, much less are able to smog them properly. Trans really knows it stuff. multi generation father son bussiness, great people, honest, fast efficient, they will do your vanagon right.

link...
http://m.yelp.com/biz/trans-auto-repair-redwood-city

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
When I finally went through my entire evap system I ended up disconnecting the hard line at the charcoal canister that goes to the gas tank, attaching a piece of flexible hose, and then I blew into the hose and clamped it off (didn't taste good). You only want 1 or 2 psi. You could be elaborate and attach a tee with a very low pressure guage and you could even use a bike pump but put very little pressure on it. 1 or 2 psi only! If it holds pressure for a few minutes, you are good to go.

I was thinking along those lines - maybe even making a manometer as a pressure gauge. 2' of water should be about 1 psi - taking great care that it doesn't disappear back into the hard line! Then soapy water to find any leaks. Just not looking forward to wrestling with the tank again. Wink
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
termuehlen wrote:

I was thinking along those lines - maybe even making a manometer as a pressure gauge. 2' of water should be about 1 psi - taking great care that it doesn't disappear back into the hard line! Then soapy water to find any leaks. Just not looking forward to wrestling with the tank again. Wink

just find a shop that knows what they are doing and will pass the test with NA. the grease monkey that worked on your van screwed you over by attempting to test your van when all he was supposed to do was write NA on the form and you would have passed.

if he did clamp the hard plastic hose, he did the test wrong anyway and that is maybe why it failed. You system may be leak free as it is.

find a place that will do it right. and never grace that no nothing smog shop again. In fact post info on that shop so others are aware of their incompetance in vanagon smogging so they too are not screwed over as you have been.

What shop did this too you?

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

It's in the system as having failed - so it'll apparently need to get an actual pass this time round. Next time - another place. Wink

I'm not going to bad-mouth this place unless he says he clamped the hard line. If he did clamp at the rubber hose join half-way to the canister, then it was a fair test - even if some more sympathetic shops would have N/A'd it.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

Had a good long chat with the guy yesterday. He first tried clamping the rubber hose join - gross pressure loss. As a last resort he then tried clamping the hard line nearer the tank - same result. He showed me where he'd clamped it - no damage thank goodness. He was fully aware of the potential problems in doing this, but said he'd had many words with BAR about it previously (this applies to several other vehicle makes), and they were apparently adamant that if it was possible to clamp a line, it should be done, even if more than the prescribed 8" from the charcoal canister.

As my van had passed the Evap test a couple of years ago at the same station, he was not prepared to N/A it this time round. If it was spotted by BAR (and apparently they do random checks on results) he'd have some difficult explaining to do.

Anyway, as it *can* pass the test if everything is tickety-boo, I'm damn well doing to rig up some system so I can easily test it myself. A nice little challenge. Wink
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Had a good long chat with the guy yesterday. He first tried clamping the rubber hose join - gross pressure loss. As a last resort he then tried clamping the hard line nearer the tank - same result. He showed me where he'd clamped it - no damage thank goodness. He was fully aware of the potential problems in doing this, but said he'd had many words with BAR about it previously (this applies to several other vehicle makes), and they were apparently adamant that if it was possible to clamp a line, it should be done, even if more than the prescribed 8" from the charcoal canister.

As my van had passed the Evap test a couple of years ago at the same station, he was not prepared to N/A it this time round. If it was spotted by BAR (and apparently they do random checks on results) he'd have some difficult explaining to do.

Anyway, as it *can* pass the test if everything is tickety-boo, I'm damn well doing to rig up some system so I can easily test it myself. A nice little challenge. Wink

Got to love the smog nazis. test it anyway even if it cant be tested at the perscribed distance from the cannister. what a bunch of sob pukes. they hold you to their standards like a fly on shit, but then fudge the standard anyway when it suits them to our determent. What a bone head mechanic trying to clamp the hard line. also not nice of him failing you rather than giving you a pass with NA which is legal to do, just to cover his ass.

one more reason to do away with the smog nazis.

all the so called mechanic had to do was claim he did not have the correct cap available at the time to test your van, and you then get a NA pass. he did you no good.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

I bought a low-pressure gauge and a couple of fittings from Home depot for ~$14. I used odd bits of tubing to mate it all up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I attached a hose directly to the hard line from the tank where it goes into the rubber join.

The good news - the Evap Crap takes over 10 minutes to leak from 1.5psi down to 1psi. I hadn't touched any other join, pipe, seal or the gas cap.

Now to convince the SMOG nazis. Wink
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another CA SMOG Evap test fail ('84 1.9l WBX) Reply with quote

I fitted a hose clamp around the rubber join on the hard plastic line, and took the van in for testing again. I asked for the Evap Crap to be tested first - and it passed with flying colours. It would seem that it was that join that was leaking first time round. All done and dusted, and having chatted with the tech/owner I'm very happy to recommend them for anyone wanting their Vanagon properly SMOG tested without resorting to work-arounds. As a STAR certified station they are not allowed to do repairs (or even recommend repair places) but they were very happy to have spelled out exactly what they did first time round, and what the problems might have been (including that join...).

So for SF (far) East Bay folk, Pacheco Smog are one of the very few places locally that will SMOG Vanagons, but don't hope for them to cut any corners or 'interpret' any rules.

http://pachecosmog.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: