Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a heater...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: I need a heater... Reply with quote

I've got j-tubes and I dont want to hook up heater boxes, I'm going to fill those holes so water deosnt get in. I have an old Hot VW's magazine from Sept,96 and they advertise a heater (Instahearter) made by the "Instant Auto Heater Co.,Inc.". Its a small heater and they make different ones. I cant find them on the web or anywhere. Anyone know which heater I'm talking about?

I've seen the 200w heaters that hook up to your cigarette lighter but those look weak. Where can I get a small electric heater that puts out about 300-400watts? I dont want anything that will drain my battery too fast.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that a hair dryer is around a 1000 watts or so on 120 volts, 3-400 watts on 12 volts isn't going to put out much heat at all. If you put it in you lap, it will probably keep your lap warm.

I would recommend a gas heater. They are very efficient. About .3 gallons an hour while kicking out 20,000 BTU's. You aren't likley to be using that much in a bug, the heat lever would be on low most of the time.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find a heater with an output of about 3-400watts it should be sufficient enough to heat my bug. My small bedroom heater puts out 1500w and heates the run pretty good. I've also thought about making custome heater boxes. got any ideas?
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out Summit Racing's catalog; a co-worker of mine is installing one in his late '80s Cutlass. He has a 455 stuffed in the car, so engine compartment space is at a premium. To make space & save weight, he removed the HVAC system completely - he really only drives it on nice days, as traction can also become an issue(car runs 12.0's on pump gas w/ prairie gears). He's looking to get the heater set up for this fall, so he doesn't have to put the car away as early as he did this past year. Up until now, the 40-some-odd pounds he saved was well worth it.....now he wants to enjoy the car more often. Must be getting older, like the rest of us.

I've been toying with the idea of a Baja as a winter beater, and I'll be very curious as to how well it works.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have addressed this issue on the Type 181 list. Colman has a small propane heater that is safe indoors and has a fan to push the hot air around. It is called the ProCat and puts out about 3,000 BTU's. It costs about $60 so not too bad at all.

Here is a link.

http://www.fitsmybudget.com/50colpowporc.html

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that coleman heater looks pretty nice, it uses batteries and I'd like to avoid the use of batteries, maybe if there was a way to hook it up to my car battery.... I guess it wont be too expensive to buy a big box of batteries and some propane. Hank Hill would be proud of me. Wink Thanks.
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have a place for an adapter, so no worries on the batteries.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwclass11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, do you have a full-flow oil system? I have been using my oil cooler w/electric fan mounted inside my bug. It not only cools the oil but keeps me warm, when summer is here I just reverse the leads and the hot air blows out the car. I live in AZ so winters not that harsh, but summers suck, never a problem with the heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I dont think so, I have stock everything except for the carb and exhaust. Scince I live in Goleta the weather never gets hot enough to the point that I would need something like that. The coldest it gets here is usually around th 50's maybe 40's. I'm gonna buy the heater mentioned by rfoutch.
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the cost down even further you could buy a large propane tank (like the ones for a BBQ) and use this adapter from HarborFreight to re-fill them.

I know that the little tanks can get pretty pricey if you have to get one every eight hours.

Here is the link..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45989

Randy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: