Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Welp.. found out my bus does not have hydraulic lifters Sad They're solids. I ended up adjusting the valve clearances the old fashion way. She sounds good now. Cool

On to the next item of business. The rebuilt air flow meter I purchased from bus depot.. It looks like crap:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Poor painting, bent pins, poor silicone job, bent. Not ideal. Ok, lets see if it performs better than it looks. I tested the resistance among the pins, according to the AFC Manual:

I did not get very good results. I compared them to readings on my old AFM:

I don't know what's up with the rebuilt unit. I couldnt get any readings from multiple pins. I don't know if that means there some connections missing inside, or if the rebuild is just garbage. I don't even want to hook it up to see if it'l work in fear of not being able to return it. I'll have to see what BusDepot says. Anyone else ever have bad experience with rebuilt AFMs?

I know I've purchase some rebuilt items from BusDepot and usually end up sending them back . Bought a rebuilt 70 amp alternator, sent that back twice before I got an acceptable unit (first one would charge at idle, second one had broken connectors/bushing), and I bought a rebuilt distributor, had to send that back once.

SS

PS bought a AFM due to some wearing on the tracks on my current AFM, giving me poor idles and stumbles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Smitty, nice work and your brave to tackle such rust and rot. I hope to have mine rolling in a few weeks up here in the north country (NH). If you find yourself on a mtn cruise, hit me up for a stop. Up here in littleton area above franconia notch. I would love to see your progress. Jay

Agree that AFM is shit! Wouldnt waste a minute messing with it. Send it back

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Thank you Jetfxr69! I'd love to get my bus up to the white mountains! Hopefully she'll be ready to tackle a long trip like that this autumn, lol.

My build pales in comparison to yours, love your bus! Love the name to! Hopefully the yellow and green machines will meet at some point.

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Agree that AFM is shit! Wouldnt waste a minute messing with it. Send it back

Yup. BusDepot is sending me another one. Fingers crossed.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Is the rebuilt AFM sealed up? I'm curious to know what it looks like inside the "rebuilt" unit, but it's definitely not worth voiding any warranties or your ability to return it.

FWIW, I'll be heading up to the Whites in my bus in a few weeks. Our kids go to summer camp up there so it's a good excuse for a trip in the Bus. Love it up there!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Is the rebuilt AFM sealed up? I'm curious to know what it looks like inside the "rebuilt" unit, but it's definitely not worth voiding any warranties or your ability to return it.

FWIW, I'll be heading up to the Whites in my bus in a few weeks. Our kids go to summer camp up there so it's a good excuse for a trip in the Bus. Love it up there!

MMmmm not sealed per-say - more like glued with a little elephant snot.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

I wanted to break the seal and open it up sooo bad. I was thinking the same, if they actually put a new ciruit board in there, or just cleaned it, or laid a new track down on top of the old one. But, yea, not $200 worth of curiosity.

notchboy wrote:

Youre not kidding.. it was like hot glued together. There was run-off all over the AFM. Couldnt imaging how much glue was on the inside..
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

I wanted to break the seal and open it up sooo bad. I was thinking the same, if they actually put a new ciruit board in there, or just cleaned it, or laid a new track down on top of the old one. But, yea, not $200 worth of curiosity.

notchboy wrote:

Youre not kidding.. it was like hot glued together. There was run-off all over the AFM. Couldnt imaging how much glue was on the inside..

Weve played with both the ones Ive had. New and used. If you know how to set them and have the proper tools - open it up. If not leave it alone.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

I was more curious about if or how the carbon trace was repaired. It seems to be the weak point in them and would love to see a rebuilt one, though $200 is a bit much for something I don't need at this point.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Smitty, dont mean to hijack your thread, but id like to offer that invite to cmonstart as well. Let me know when your headed this way and we will have you bye for a beer and some bus gawking.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Smitty, dont mean to hijack your thread, but id like to offer that invite to cmonstart as well. Let me know when your headed this way and we will have you bye for a beer and some bus gawking.

No worries man, more bus talk the better Cool You guys are closer to eachother. I'll get up that way sooner or later, my plan is to at least make it to Transporterfest in Brookline at the end of summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: