Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

The funny part about your pOp ToP adventure and restoration - is that you ended up doing what most of us do to the top anyway - painting it with Rustoleum Laughing Applause Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Westfalia Pop Top
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

That link is perfect, lots of good info I'm going to need, thanks Tcash!

You're right notchboy everyone just ends up using Rustoleum, haha. At least the majority I read on that thread. So I decided to go with the Rustoleum epoxy rattle can. I ended up buying 5 cans, for a whopping $20 total, and went through 4 of them. Ended up doing 2 coats over it all, and will probably touch up any light spots later on. I'm pumped with the way it came out too:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks a million times better than it did:

Hopefully it holds up over the years!

-Smitty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Yep looks shit tons better. I rolled mine as the gel coat was trash and could see fibers. Rolling puts on a thicker coat of Mayo. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

I think I'm done with the body work on my bus!!! I think.... fingers crossed!

I tackled the area that was under the pop top:

Then primed it:

Then I had to fix the rust and rot around the passenger side rear wheel wells, and it was bad:

Time to make a paint booth. First I scrubbed everything the best I could, then I put plastic everywhere, to keep all that dirt and sand down.

The only other problem was that the bus was just a little too long to fit in my garage tent. Well, it can fit, I just wouldnt have any room to move around and paint; I'd run my air hose through the paint on every corner.... So, I had to make an addition:

Hopefully the flimsy addition can stay standing for a few weeks while I finish painting... No wind storms! If she does, I should have a nice painting booth.

Next steps:
sand
prime
sand
sand
sand
sand
base coat
clear coat
sand
cut
buff
camp Very Happy

-Smitty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Sorry for the trashy look of my yard, I should have taken the pictures after I cleaned up everything. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
Quote:
Pinetops wrote:
If I'm honest, your welding is a little crude

Crude is being generous. haha. I’m very frustrated with the way my welds have come out on this build, I just can't seem to get the welding thing down. This is my first time welding, and have done some practicing, and watched plenty of youtube videos, but am not progressing the way I’d hoped. I had a buddy try and teach me, at his place, on his welder; and I seem to do a decent job there, but when I try welding back on the bus, with my welder, it's not quite so decent. It might be my welder….maybe... It's a Lincoln Electric HandyMIG 10919, and I bought it from a co-worker for $25 (haha, yep). it was in rough shape, I had to clean it up a bit, I bought new nozzles, tips, and cleaned the inside electric connectors. She works, but some times dies, so I pull a Fonz and hit it and it turns back on. And while welding body panels, she seems to either burn right through the metal, or just pool up ontop of the metal.

I may need a new welder, any recommendations on a good/cheap unit? Ive been looking on craigslist and harbor freight, but dont want to waste money on a crappier unit. I'll have to do some research, I'm sure theres a million reviews and forums out there on good welders.

Quote:
thewalrus wrote:
That's a 70A Alternator. Nice!

Yessir! Took me a while to figure out that it was different from like 75% of all the other alternators out there. Quick story: I brought it to AutoZone to test it out, and they said it was dead, so I bought a new one from them. Yep, the new one they shipped me was a little different (Thank God i didnt give them my 70 amp as a core, I would have killed myself later). Anyway, I returned that back to AZ, and had a mechanic buddy test my original, and it came back good. So, long story short, never trust AZ, haha. And, hopefully my original alt works, because I cannot find any rebuilt units out there, or anyone who rebuilds them. (havent looked too hard tho)

Quote:
thewalrus wrote:
TransporterFest is coming up in October

I cant wait! My original goal was to have my bus ready for the show. I guess there's still a super super super slim chance that I will have it ready. I've been working overtime on it!

-Smitty

I'm coming to your thread WAY too late but on the subject of welding - its partly your machine's fault. You aren't welding with gas (argon/CO2) mix, and your welding machine just doesn't have enough heat ranges to allow you to dial in the temp/wire speed enough to be GOOD. The innershield/fluxcore wire comes more or less in one size and that is .045". It takes more heat to get that fluxcore wire burning than .023"/.025" wire with gas.

If you were welding with gas you could use .023/.025" wire and turn your heat way down.

There are 120V machines that can do this but if you have the budget I recommend the 220V machines simply b/c later if you want to weld think stuff, you can. The 120V machines don't have enough power or duty cycle to weld think stuff.

Once upon a time I had the same (more or less) welding machine you have and it was very limited in what it could do well. I got some good welds one a few non-car projects but they were far and few between.

If someone gives you access to a good machine with MIG gas and tiny wire, you might be surprised at how good you can suddenly weld.

FWIW I have the Lincoln 180T (220V) machine. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart - other brands - I think they are all good.

Way back when i quit my project for a while until I could buy better tools b/c the welder I had - off brand/no gas/120V and free from a frustrated friend - was causing me more headaches than it was solving. GRIN!

Enjoying reading your thread very much! Keep up the good work! I enjoyed seeing your paint polishing. That's a topic that I have stayed away from so far. Something I need to learn though.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Great points and suggestions Busbodger! A friend of mine has a machine, beleive its a MIG, with the gas, argon i beleive...? It was insane the beads he could lay down with that set up. I even did a half way decent job. ha. He even offered to lend it to me, to do what ever job i had at the time, but the problem was I had no access to 220v. Suuuucks. The closest 220v outlet I have is probably 30 feet away, and those extension cords are big bucks. I even thought about going out and renting a gas/diesel generator to power it. Although in hindsight, I wish I had just bit the bullet and bought the extension cord, would have saved me a ton in frustration and headaches.

The next time I tackle a big project, I will need to buy a new welder. I'm just tempted to retire my old Lincoln Electric welder, so I'm forced to buy a new unit the next time I need to weld. Haha.

I just googled the unit you have, the Lincoln 180T, and that looks perfect for what I've been doing. And the price is reasonable, I even found some on Craigslist, around me, for around $450. I have a feeling, once this bus is done, and I save up some $$$, that'll be the next investment I make. Sooooo awesome Very Happy

For now, thankfully, all the welding on my bus is in the past. I have it in my make shift paint booth, and began masking it off. I thought this part would be fairly quick, maybe an hour or so. Nope, it took sooo long. I had to mask off all the doors, the rear hatch, the engine bay, all the windows, the top opening, the wheel wells, the exhaust, the fresh air intakes, the gas hole, etc. I hadnt realized how much there actually was! But, she was all masked off:

Now, it was time to spray on the primer/sealer. Nope, I had to wait, because of Mother Nature. I decided that I could spray in the cold, no problem. Even in the rain, I'd just set up extra tarps/plastic sheets. But I couldnt deal with high winds. And up here in the North East, it's been windy for the past 5 weeks. And exceptionally breezy on the weekends, when I actually had the time to spray. By windy, I mean gusts in excess of 35 mph, and all the way up to 50'sh. It just blew dirt all around my tent garage.

I finally had a chance to spray today, so I took advantage of it. It was chilly, but I just fire up my propane heater for about 90 minutes, and that heats up the metal of the bus, to match the temperature of the doors, back when I sprayed them in the summer.

Once I finished spraying, I ended with this:

Not bad, I just had a lot of over spray, most likely due to the rain gutters, and my inexperience. It's not an issue with this primer, I'll just sand it away. I'm afraid when i spray my base coat. I cannot have any overspray, misting paint droplets everywhere.... I'm not sure what to do. I may have to mask off portions of the bus, and just spray one panel at a time. Doing the roof part, then front, then sides and rear; taking advantage of the panel gaps.... I'll have to see if there any threads on this..

Hopefully next weekend isnt windy, if it's not, I should be able to lay down the rest of the paint. Wetsanding for about an hour or two after work this week, should give me enough time to have it ready for next Saturday.... Hopefully Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-Smitty
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
A friend of mine has a machine, beleive its a MIG, with the gas, argon i beleive...?

Yep, it can be straight Argo or a an argon/CO2 mix.

smitty1976bus wrote:
The closest 220v outlet I have is probably 30 feet away, and those extension cords are big bucks.

What you do is go to any electrician supply store and buy a male and female cord end that matches your dryer and welder. Then buy a length of #10 or #12 "SO type" (sun and weather) rated cord and you can make your own extension cable for much cheaper than buying one.

The outlets patterns are different depending on the AMPS they are rated for. Make sure that the outlet is rated for more than your welder - probably 20 or 30 amps. The electrician's store can advise you on some of the details. Just tell them what you are trying to do. They should be helpful. Alot of this is already detailed out on the internet too of course. I'd go for the bigger wire (#10) for a long extension cord. I made one long enough to run across my garage so I can weld it anywhere in the room. My garage isn't very big.

smitty1976bus wrote:
I just googled the unit you have, the Lincoln 180T, and that looks perfect for what I've been doing. And the price is reasonable, I even found some on Craigslist, around me, for around $450. I have a feeling, once this bus is done, and I save up some $$$, that'll be the next investment I make. Sooooo awesome Very Happy

There is a 180T which has fixed heat ranges - maybe 7-8. You get the "in-between" temps by adjusting the wire speed, your hand speed, etc. There is a more expensive 180C that has "infinite" heat adjustments. And now they even have a MIG welder that is both 120V and 220V. The higher temp ranges are locked out on 120V but it will weld the thinner materials equally well on both voltages. That is really a versatle machine in my book. Wink

Your paint looks good. Am enjoying reading about your progress!
VWRICK69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

AWESOME THREAD!!!!! You are the poster child of perseverance. Great job.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Nice save of that bus! Your tenacity to push through all the rust repairs and other obstacles is impressive!

Keep up the good work!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Busbodger wrote:
Quote:
What you do is go to any electrician supply store and buy a male and female cord end that matches your dryer and welder. Then buy a length of #10 or #12 "SO type" (sun and weather) rated cord and you can make your own extension cable for much cheaper than buying one.

Wow, I can't believe I never thought of that.. thats perfect! haha. I have a 10 gauge extension cord running from my house to my garage to just power my air compressor. I can just pop one of those adapters on each end of the cord, plug it into the 220 outlet and plug the welder in... Shoot.. I wish I thought of this earlier, I would have bought a 220v compressor too. Haha.. Oh man. It's so obvious now... Brilliant tip Busbodger, thank you. .. Seriously, I'm shaking my head in disbelief on how I never thought of this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another nice weekend, thankfully. Two in a row, I'm very happy! Very Happy Very Happy

I was wetsanding all week, well, except for Wednesday, thanks to some food poisoning. Stupid SubWay. Anyways. I wetsanded to where I'm happy with it, hopefully the base coat is happy with it too.

Like I said earlier, I'm not sure how to approach painting the entire body of the bus. I'm terrified of overspray. So, I decided to spray in two sessions; the top and the bottom. I did the top tonight. The bottom half, or the body below the gutters, was masked off:

Then cleaned and prepped the metal; then sprayed on the green base, 1 light and 2 heavy coats, then the clear coat, 4 coats:

The inside of the gutters was pretty hard to spray, so I hope they come out ok. I'm happy I decided to spray in 2 sessions, because there was a lot of overspray misting all over the place. Buuuuut, I wasnt happy with all the dust in the air... plus I accidentally hit my overhead garage light, and knocked even more dust loose; even after cleaning it earlier. I should have sprayed some water on the floor, to moisten all the dirt and dust, so it wouldn't fly around. A trick a body shop guy told me. Wish I remembered it. Ha.

We'll have to see what it looks like when it dries in the morning. And since the overnight temperature in my area is probably going to dip below freezing, I'm forced to keep my tent/garage lights on, to keep the drying paint warm. Well, I finished spraying at around 10pm, so I'll keep the bus warm until probably 1am. 3 hours should be long enough for the paint to dry.

Tomorrow I'll spray the rest of the bus. I've decided to spray in a vertical pattern, rather than a typical horizontal pattern. All to reduce the overspray, around the corners. Hopefully it pays off.

Tonight's lesson: Hindsight is 20/20 Wink

-Smitty
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Spray vertical first then come back and spray horizontal overlapping to get even paint thoughout.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

You arent so far from me with my large heated room with lights and warmth that you couldn't dry your Bus in my facility now that growing...i mean painting...season is slow.

Thats a gorgeous colour and will make you wiser too.

Keep it up!
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

I have considered brush painting the inside of the gutters and then top coating them when I paint the rest of the bus.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Welp..... Painted the bus last Sunday... and it did not go well.. It started off good, but then I ran out of green paint. I thought I had sprayed enough on to be ok, but was wrong. So one panel came out light green...

Then, when I was spraying on the clear coat, a wild thunderstorm came rolling through. It blew up dirt and sand onto another panel of the bus, peppering the clear, and ripping up some base coat..... and to make it all even worse, my spray gun malfunctioned (my fault) and 3 fly's flew in the path of my spray gun, getting stuck in the clear coat.

I should have taken your offer Abscate and just towed my bus to your nice heated, no wind, paint room, haha.

Anyways... Here's what I had:

I tried to wet sand and buff the panel were the wind and bugs got to it; I sprayed on so much clear, hoping it would mask the imperfections. It wasn't a bad idea, because it did buff out to a nice finish:

But... I couldn't live with it. I took hours and hours of prep, and sanded them away:

I'm really ticked off, but I know I can do better. So, I ordered some more green paint... urgggg. and will do these two panels over again. The rest of the bus seems to be in decent shape, so it should be ok, But since these two panels are the biggest, they'll get the most attention, so they need to be perfect. Well, at least a B to an A- . Not the D+ to C- grade they were in.

Thanks for all the support guys, and we'll see how this repaint turns out. Fingers crossed!

Smitty
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Smitty you are doing an awesome job. You have a lot of heart and your project shows it! I know the kind of nights you're having out in the cold, the dark, when everyone else is sleeping. Give yourself a pat on the back!

Please don't take this the wrong way but two things jump out at me with your welding. 1)you need a better ground. I like to take a c clamp and clamp that as close as possible to my work area on fresh bare steel. Then I clamp my welder ground to the c clamp. 2) I think your wire speed is too fast for your voltage.

Loving this build, I've been fighting my Westy all summer too and I can say your paint turned out waaaay better than mine. It's an art!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way but two things jump out at me with your welding.

No worries Schwing, my welding skills def need improvement, it'll be a focal point to work on for my next build. Luckily it's all covered up with filler and paint. haha.

Schwing wrote:
Quote:
Smitty you are doing an awesome job.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you for that, with all this cold weather, and it getting dark hours before I even leave work, i need support to keep going. But, the hard part is hopefully over. I finished the painting Cool

I sanded the problem panels smooth again, and even did some more body work because I found some new dents I didnt see before, so there was some good in my mistakes. So here it all primed (again):

Then I did wetsanding (again), and sprayed on the base (again) and then the clear coat(again):

And thankfully there was no freak windstorms, or bugs, or spray gun issues. I'm getting more comfortable with the spray gun too, so in the future, I shouldn't be so crazy nervous when I paint. I'd give this paint a B grade though, there was a small area on the drivers side panel, where I should have sanded better; you can see scratched from the orbital sander under all the green. But I'll take it, I'm satisfied, I guess.

Next is wetsanding, then cutting and buffing. There's always a chance of ruining the paint in this step too, so I'm going to be super careful and nervous still, ha. But, in my mind, the hardest part is behind me, and now I can start to see this awesome Westy come together!

Smitty
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Nicely done.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1978 Big Sage Green Giant Westy Build! Lots of Pictures! Reply with quote

Began wetsanding the finished paint job at the beginning of the week, and just finished up this morning.

I went out and bought some 3M cutting compound too. Figured since evertyone swears by the stuff, it must be worth spending some $$$ on. I picked up the #1 bottle today, but the store had to order the #2 for me, should be in on Monday. Everyone says I wont need the #3 bottle, so I didnt order it.

Here's the bus after buffing with the #1:

There is still a ton of swirl marks in the paint, so I'm really hoping the #2 compound takes those out, or I'm not sure what to do. But, the paint, for the most part is done. Now I have to start re-assembling the bus. Doors, hatches, weatherstripping, roof, etc. The fun part, seeing it all come together!

Smitty
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: