Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 Started running LOUD [video]
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinspee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Hey all! Happy Father's Day.

My new 81 Westie (2.0, air-cooled) just started running really loud. Previously it was very quiet when idling. Now it sounds like an old semi truck. Any ideas? I checked the exhaust for holes etc but didn't see anything.

I'd love any diagnostic advice - I'm a newbie so be gentle. I do have a Bentley to reference as well once I figure out the problem.

here's a video of it starting, stalling (it has been doing this recently when started cold. Sometimes worse than others), starting again, and running loud.

Link

Thanks!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Lifters aren't pumped up, or the valve adjustment is incorrect.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a noisy lifter...very normal if run only a short time or if the van
sits for a LONG time. Run it on the highway a few miles and it should quiet down.
I add 4 oz. Marvels Mystery Oil each oil change and hardly ever hear this any more.

Search on this...very common concern, but of little concern.

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vinspee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'll run her on the freeway for a bit today and add some MMO for good measure. I appreciate the help!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Dump the recommended amount (see the instructions on the bottle) of Marvel Mystery Oil into your crankcase and leave it in there for at least a 100 miles before changing the oil out. Hydraulic lifters do best with an oil that is thin when cold, like a 5w30 or 5w40. Synthetics oils are preferred as they take the heat better than dino oils and have fewer additives to break down.

Since it sounds like this is a new rig to you, then a valve adjustment would be in order. Read up on how it is done, both here and in your shop manual.

For whatever reason hydraulic lifters don't do well when you only run your engine for a short period of time. They can be adjusted up just fine, but fire your engine up cold and drive 30 feet into the garage and shut it back off and then next time you fire it up the valves will beat like crazy.
vinspee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Thanks - should I just stick with Dino for the next 100 or so miles after the MMO, then switch over to synthetic?

I'll look into guides on valve adjustment - thanks!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

I would recommend leaving the dino oil in it along with the MMO, until the next oil change.

Run it like you just stole it.

If the valves are in adjustment, it'll quiet down once the lifters get pumped up.
vinspee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Started running LOUD [video] Reply with quote

Popped some MMO and topped off the oil - took her on the freeway for 30 minutes and all is well. Thanks everyone!

Happy Father's Day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: