Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 exhust on 1.9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: 2.1 exhust on 1.9 Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm planning on swapping my 2.1 exhaust from my 86 parts donor to my 1.9 Daily warm weather driver. My question is how much "grinding" on the T-stat cover is necessary? Do I have to crack open the system, by removing the cover? Not really looking forward to this job since I've never had to really mess with the exhaust in the 11 years I've owned the van. There's a leak under load, a broken stud that has been broken for years now (probably why I haven't mess with it!) and I've had it welded in various spots that has eliminated header pipe and connector pipe replacement. Thanks folks.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 exhust on 1.9 Reply with quote

My experience in using the 2.1 exhaust on an earlier 1.9 engine block is that I did not need to grind any aluminum on the thermostat cover. It is, however in very close proximity after the installation. I have, however, never experienced any problems with this close fit of a hot exhaust pipe next to the tc cover. I also used the stock (for a 1.9) thermostat, even though my 1.9 is now a 2.2! I did, however, switch to the later front fan 2-position sensor which goes into the radiator, as it cuts in at lower temperatures. Again, but even in living in Southern California, my thermostatic fan very rarely cuts in!

IIRC, the only thing was that the muffler from a 2.1 uses a different hanger setup and you need to swap-out the aluminum motor mount bracket. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

With the 1.9 exhaust, over the years there was always some bracket cracking and in need of a re-weld. With the 2.1 exhaust, I have never had a problem!

windnsea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: