Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring to coil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
I have seen this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-D186504-Flame-Thr...istributor

and this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Replacement-Electron...1732105334
(this one I can see the back of the Vacuum canister and it only looks like there is 1 inlet for a vacuum hose. I currently have 2 vacuum hoses on my carb ....will this work?

I would never buy a Pertronix SVDA...again. The one I bought lasted less than a year. First the vacuum can went south, then the centrifugal advance was useless w/out it, bounced all over the place.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

thanks...

all my research points to only Pertronix being for sale as "NEW" Is there another manufacturer that I am missing and that is avaiable to but NEW?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

There are but I don't have experience w/them. You're better off finding a German one rebuilt by a pro and there are plenty out there for not much more than the pertronix will cost you. Search for Samba member TASB for starters, he specializes in rebuilding originals.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

thanks, I just sent him a PM. lets see what he has to say.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I don't believe you have a 050 distributor. A 050 distributor is a centrifugal advance only. Your pictures are showing you have a DVDA. I believe the 050 number you're quoting is the date code (Oct 1980).

Steven

Before I edited it I wrote vacuum advance which is wrong. My bad.

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle

Last edited by empi3 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

empi3 wrote:
For what it's worth, I don't believe you have a 050 distributor. A 050 distributor is a vacuum advance only. Your pictures are showing you have a DVDA. I believe the 050 number you're quoting is the date code (Oct 1980).

Steven

There is a centrifugal-only 050 distributor too, and it has too much advance (~26° typically) for use in a type 1 application, it's like the type 4 version of the 009...

http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/050rev.htm

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

OK, talked to TASB and we are working on what Distributor I need.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

since I hate when posts are not finished I wanted to tell everybody what happened....

I finally got some time and help putting in the distributor TASB. the one he sent to me based on my car was # 113 905 205 T, stock for 1969-70 which matches my carburetor. It is an SVA which means single vacuum advance only. It is not an SVDA or a DVDA. Spark is advanced by vacuum only no mechanical weights.

Bosch short numbers:
points 1013
condenser 2069
cap 3010
rotor 4033

I put it in & IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Dancing Dancing Applause

I am positive that it was the "pigtail braided wire" that was broke inside the distributor that I tried to fix. I dont think it was fixed correctly and the link ashman sent me to speedy jims site was right on the money! I went thru al the tests step by step until I got to the "pigtail" braided section.

My helpers think is was either the points or condenser, but I'm sticking with the broken braided pigtail wire.

I used the following samba link https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0 to set timing to 7.5 BTDC. I have a pully with 1 notch to the right of the dimple as show in the picture.

she runs like a gem. I will be takin gher out this weekend to run her and see what happens.

thanks to all that helped me with this, I love this forum!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: