Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Glass
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Well i dont know what the deal is but i know he had an original windshield on his oval and it broke in jaged edges when his wife hit it with her head , allmost killed her , i use new windshields just in case , i dont have an original museum car ...

weird, not supposed to happen, hope she fully recovered. harness seat belts can help prevent this, but they are not standard options in old Bug but probably could be fitted. early bugs had no seatbelts when new.

I recall my Dad buying seat belts to add to his VWs back in the sixties. I tell youngsters that you used to be able to buy seat belts to,add to cars at most all well stocked parts stores and the kids are amazed, of course they are amazed by hand crank windows too.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

USA models had safety glass. In some European countries, the old glass may have been used for years. The belief used to be it was best to have it pop out and away from the passengers in an accident. Real world testing proves this wrong, but there may have been imported models with the old glass.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

The poor girl has scars all over her face because of original glass ... its not worh it 2 me..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
USA models had safety glass. In some European countries, the old glass may have been used for years. The belief used to be it was best to have it pop out and away from the passengers in an accident. Real world testing proves this wrong, but there may have been imported models with the old glass.

European specification is different than U.S. It's still safety glass but it differs on what happens on impact.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

European specification is different than U.S. It's still safety glass but it differs on what happens on impact.

so what would the european standard be for the old bugs? laminated safety glass, tempered safety glass or ???? hopefully it is not a matrr of no standard and it is plate glass!!!!

at anyrate, the marking on the glass should indicate if it is DOT approved or not. I would nt use it if it was not approved. if glass is home made, cut by a flunky, who knows what it would be, on that note, maybe buy from a reputable source that has tracable source of DOT approved glass is the best bet. well worth some extra expense, unless your face is already butt ugly!!!! (which I doubt)

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Helfen wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

so what would the european standard be for the old bugs? laminated safety glass, tempered safety glass or ???? hopefully it is not a matrr of no standard and it is plate glass!!!!

at anyrate, the marking on the glass should indicate if it is DOT approved or not. I would nt use it if it was not approved. if glass is home made, cut by a flunky, who knows what it would be, on that note, maybe buy from a reputable source that has tracable source of DOT approved glass is the best bet. well worth some extra expense, unless your face is already butt ugly!!!! (which I doubt)

Actually the European glass does not break off in chards, when it breaks it reduces itself into little tiny pebbles, just like a tempered safety glass sliding door does on impact.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
VW vendors should have them but be wary as some are poor fitting.

Yep. FYI - this was my experience last time I dealt with glass on my bugs a few years ago:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417556&

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Have you tried Mid America for the windshield .
There in Effingham Ill.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Mid America is who supplied the windshields in my linked thread above.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Glass Reply with quote

When I replaced my original windscreen in my 64 I placed the original on the workbench and laid the new windshield from West Coast Metric over it. It was a perfect match. They also had perfect supple rubber to go with it and made the trim pieces easy to install as well. The installation was a easy one man job thanks to grandpa's one man installation technique!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: