Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Cleanliness and light oil help as well. The fit is supposed to be tight and anything that interferes with it will make the pins hard to get in.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I ground out the piston bores to fit the wrist pins in. However I broke a cylinder, and then my piston ring compressor failed while I was putting a piston in, breaking a ring.

I bought a set of Mahle pistons and cylinders and had no issues. I also got a machined steel tapered 94mm piston ring compressor for ~$35 and it was worth every penny.

My friend who is cleaning out my gas tank and sealing it found a stick inside Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is the engine currently

[/img]
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

looking good
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can find a clip to attach a CHT sender wire to the head as described in this article?

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?gspage=customer/main/tech/cht/cht_install_2.tpl

Is it necessary to have that clip?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
I ground out the piston bores to fit the wrist pins in.

Shocked Ummm...., could you explain that a little more?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
kooper271 wrote:
I ground out the piston bores to fit the wrist pins in.

Shocked Ummm...., could you explain that a little more?

Yeah. I didn't use those pistons, but I just slightly increased the diameter of the bore through the skirt where the wrist pin slides in. Now it is only a slight interference fit instead of how tight they were before - without grinding the wrist pins were chipping and pulling material off the pistons when trying to install.

The wrist pins were a perfect fit through the connecting rods, though.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Are the vacuum hoses sold here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1988499IN appropriate for a Type 4 Bay?

Most of my vacuum lines were trash, held together with tape and stuff like that.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Yes. Keep the fitting that you have though as they will be used in the new silicone hoses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Moving on, slow and steady.

Shroud is on, valves are adjusted, etc. Need to pull the flywheel to install the felt seal over the needle bearing (if anyone needs one, I have a lot of extras).

I want an oil pressure gauge. A tee screwed directly into the case could snap off, so I bought and put together an oil pressure sensor relocation system from 42 Draft Designs. The stock sensor is there to keep the light off, and I bought the VDO sender for my gauge from Dakota Digital.

The line that came with the kit from 42 Draft Designs was too short, so I went to Summit and got a 24" long black braided brake line.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Just be aware that the oil pressure switch is going to be very slow to react when the oil is cold. Don't know if you installed screw in galley plugs or not, but if you were to blow a pressed in galley plug on a cold engine the oil light might take a long while to come on.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Just be aware that the oil pressure switch is going to be very slow to react when the oil is cold. Don't know if you installed screw in galley plugs or not, but if you were to blow a pressed in galley plug on a cold engine the oil light might take a long while to come on.

Thanks for the heads up on the pressure switch. All of the plugs were pulled, and I installed screw in plugs using leak lock.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Any thoughts on why the 1/2 and 3/4 big tins are so hard to install? They don't want to fit over the shroud or line up with any of the screw holes at all...
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

keep other tin 'loose' to get it all aligned,
you don't get to tighten everything (well, the 1/2 2/3 tins) tight till the
biggest pieces are slipped into place, you are most concerned with the
engagement of the control rod across the top, getting the four screws
into the top of the case, left & right sides, then all the other stuff.
Sometimes a punch and/or nail setter can help pulling it all together.
EDIT: also check around the intake ports, the 1/2 2/3 tins can require
some shaping at times, they like to ride proud there at the intake studs
& cause vacuum leaks later if you don't ensure they aren't fouling the
spacer/gasket surface.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
Any thoughts on why the 1/2 and 3/4 big tins are so hard to install? They don't want to fit over the shroud or line up with any of the screw holes at all...

Make sure you are fitting them property to the fan shroud. If you haven't done this before it can be a bit of a struggle, you have to kind of slide them in at the correct angle.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm fitting them properly to the fan shroud, but I must be doing something wrong. Nothing is even close to lining up. If I get the two screws into the case, then everything else is off by a half inch or more.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I usually install only the cylinder head upper tin and intake manifolds before installing the engine. This is because intake manifolds often foul on the tin (especially if they are aftermarket) and I can get them sealed properly and am less likely to drop hardware down the intakes. It also makes it easier to get the engine in. I install everything else after. I remove the engine the same way.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm fitting them properly to the fan shroud, but I must be doing something wrong. Nothing is even close to lining up. If I get the two screws into the case, then everything else is off by a half inch or more.

How about some pictures?
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I got these screws in

Not lined up with the fan shroud

Not lined up with the heads

Alternator tin

Another misaligned hole
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
I got these screws in

Obviously your tin needs to move 3/8" or so further towards the fan shroud.

What is the hose or tube sticking down next to the tin near the cable for the thermostat? It may well be part of your problem.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Suggestion...

Keep the screws loose and just started as you assemble the tinwork. A screwdriver that is just a "pick" is quite handy to get the holes lined up to where they go. Needle nose vise grips can also be your friend.

I like to start at the #1 cylinder and work myself around clockwise from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: