Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Tcash,

I found the issue. Something inside the switch is shorting. When the switch is installed loosely with no screws, it works fine. As soon as any pressure is applied, it shorts.

No wires are broken or missing insulation so it seems like its time for a new switch
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

On the Late 74-79 turn signal switches. The white plastic piece breaks and the return spring can float around in the switch.
Broken plastic piece
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good plastic piece

L74-79 Turn signal switch prt# 211 953 513 K

When you install the turn swtch be sure to adjust the clearance.

Good luck
Tcash
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash. My switch wasn't broken there and I couldn't figure out where it was shorting so I ordered a new one.

My brake lights work, and my tail lights work. But when the tail lights are on, and I hit the brakes, the lights don't get any brighter. Should they?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
My brake lights work, and my tail lights work. But when the tail lights are on, and I hit the brakes, the lights don't get any brighter. Should they?

Yes they should, time to clean and resecure the ground wires and clean out the bulb sockets.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
kooper271 wrote:

Yes they should, time to clean and resecure the ground wires and clean out the bulb sockets.

New bulb sockets and bulbs, new ground wires, cleaned the body grounds and still have the same issue Sad
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

without re-reading 12 pages, make sure that the top on the hazard switch isn't coming off. They almost all do and cause all sorts of bizarre turn signal behaviors as well as blown fuses.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
kooper271 wrote:

New bulb sockets and bulbs, new ground wires, cleaned the body grounds and still have the same issue Sad

Then swap the brake and tail wires at the bulb, if they are on the wrong terminals the dim (tail) filament in the bulbs is acting as the brake light, you'll never see it unless you remove the lens and look real close.

When holding the brakes so the brake lights are on do they get brighter when you also turn on the parking lights?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Sgkent it is loose so I will replace or repair it.

Busdaddy switching the wires at the terminals seems like a good place to start. Not sure on if i hold the brakes and and turn the lights on, i will check.

I took the bus out for the first drive tonight. Things didnt go all too great. Brakes are dragging and i got an occasional grinding going into second. Third and fourth were nonexistant. I replaced all of the bushings and stuff inside the nosecone along with the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch etc. Think my shifter needs adjusted. Thoughts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Shifter adjustment should fix the missing 3/4 issue, but the grinding may just be a bad transmission, how much freeplay do you have on the clutch pedal?

Слава Україні!
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Shifter adjustment should fix the missing 3/4 issue, but the grinding may just be a bad transmission, how much freeplay do you have on the clutch pedal?

About 1" of freeplay. Not sure it is necessary to clarify or not but I can't get into second at all when the grinding occurs. It probably occurs on 30%-50% of shifts into second (short test drive).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

What oil do you have in the transmission? These things need fairly thin oil, like an 80 wt or 75w90.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
What oil do you have in the transmission? These things need fairly thin oil, like an 80 wt or 75w90.

I have 75w90 in it
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

The brakes may be the backing plate rubbing. Luckily a relevant thread was brought up yesterday so I can check
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Some brake drag is normal, especially when the rotors and drums are rusty from sitting.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

do not use GL5 or synthetic oil in the trans. If the synchros are moly coated by the factory, or the rebuilder uses them for better shifting, they will slip so bad the trans will need to be rebuilt again. GL4 only. Stalube GL4 is easily available at NAPA stores.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Some brake drag is normal, especially when the rotors and drums are rusty from sitting.

Maybe, but it seems way too loud of a rubbing/grinding to be just brake drag...

SGKent wrote:
do not use GL5 or synthetic oil in the trans. If the synchros are moly coated by the factory, or the rebuilder uses them for better shifting, they will slip so bad the trans will need to be rebuilt again. GL4 only. Stalube GL4 is easily available at NAPA stores.

I used stalube GL4. Did a lot of reading before I picked it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

if the backing plates were replaced the drum is rubbing on the new backing plates. The drum can be machined, or the later wider spacer can be used by going into the hub and servicing it at the same time. Some folks are building shims but I do not recommend it for fear they may work and loosen.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if the backing plates were replaced the drum is rubbing on the new backing plates. The drum can be machined, or the later wider spacer can be used by going into the hub and servicing it at the same time. Some folks are building shims but I do not recommend it for fear they may work and loosen.

I found where the drum was rubbing on the backing plate. I removed some material from the lip and the rubbing is gone.

Thanks!
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

My alternator isn't functioning right

I read ~12 volts at the battery.

I checked the voltage at the lug on the alternator and got readings at about 27 volts.

That's ridiculously high. I also obviously have an issue in the wire from the alternator to the starter to not get any voltage to the battery.

Why do you think i have such high voltage? Bad regulator? Checked and rechecked all of my grounds
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 2.0L Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:

That's ridiculously high. I also obviously have an issue in the wire from the alternator to the starter to not get any voltage to the battery.

Fix this and retest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: