Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy???
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlemanswift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Hi, looking to purchase a 1994 Eurovan Westy but will need to be able to install carseats on the bench in the back. I haven't tried it yet but I think I will need to install at least a tether anchor? has anyone had much luck installing seats in a westy? I have been searching the web but all I found is an old VW service bulletin that the dealer can't get parts for anymore.
Any help would be appreciated!
thanks, dave
formerknuckledragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats In A eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

No personal experience, but I ran across this thread over on the Westfalia boards, might be helpful.

http://www.westfalia.org/community/showthread.php?491-Child-car-seats
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats In A eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

you'll find a way to teather it back around the back of the seat and down in the framework, likely. We do that with the eurovan EVC campers we have down here in the states.

otherwise, it'll take a car seat the same as any 1994 car -- likely with just a lap belt. No way it has 'latches' to click a modern seat into.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats In A eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

In the older vans like that one I just hook the tether to the cargo loops under the seat. (feed the strap down behind the seat and cushion and there should be a cargo tie down or something to clip it to down there)

The newer vans have a tether in the rear roof by the hatch.

These are the new style tether FWIW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

On the Canadian Eurovan Westfalia, the tether is located under the overhead rear cabinet. There is steel reinforcement that connects from the rear hatch to below the cabinet where you can attach the tether.

The full Eurovan Westfalia was never imported to the states so it is a rare beast south of the border. Laughing
littlemanswift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
Turns out the van I was looking at will need a lot of body work, I must have had my "I want it" blinders on. I already have another option to look at.
I think I should be able to figure out the car seat thing, it would be a deal breaker with my wife if I can't!
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats In A eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
In the older vans like that one I just hook the tether to the cargo loops under the seat. (feed the strap down behind the seat and cushion and there should be a cargo tie down or something to clip it to down there)

Ah, memories of the three seats tethered in back there. Sometimes I wish we could still strap them in like that, but they're much too big now.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
On the Canadian Eurovan Westfalia, the tether is located under the overhead rear cabinet. There is steel reinforcement that connects from the rear hatch to below the cabinet where you can attach the tether.

The full Eurovan Westfalia was never imported to the states so it is a rare beast south of the border. Laughing

Here is the location of the Eurovan CV Camper (Westfalia) child seat restraints located under the headbanger.

Old post but just updating as I have the manual in front of me..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, memories of the three seats six tethered in back there. Sometimes I wish we could still strap them in like that, but they're much too big now.

we had to put two seats onto one belt, that was certainly legal in 3 of the 53 States at least. Once that didn't work, we used the Poisonwood Bible Protocol to select the Darwin candidate.
wtonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats In A eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

How did you make these custom wood bed frame at top? Is it solid wood or vinyl planks?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats In A eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

wtonya wrote:

How did you make these custom wood bed frame at top? Is it solid wood or vinyl planks?

Cole (@Xtremjeepn, CaveVan owner) doesn't post much here these days — busy guy, I imagine — but as I recall these were full custom replacements to the stock boards. Not 100% certain about the material used in this particular case but most of his wood-looking work tends to be "real deal" wood, so I'd wager it is here too. No idea what kind of wood though. He used to use beetle kill pine a lot, but this doesn't look like that to me.

The main thing I remember him saying about these is that the back section was a real pain -- lots of work to rip out the OEM panel without destroying the connected Westfalia roof reinforcement pieces, which are still needed for the replacement board.

The front section I believe is fairly straightforward by comparison.

FWIW: I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect as an alternative veneer could be used pretty effectively on the back section, rather than fully replacing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Sorry guys.

IdeaNerd is right, I've been swamped. I do love and miss you all on the forums though.

The van above was the first one built and eventually branded as CaveVan.

The wood in that van is Alder. Its all full thickness real wood.

VW has a tech document defining what structure must be added into the van when the roof is cut out. Basically the entire rear bed board is part of the structural element of the chassis.

For this reason its a bit more work to remove, and more importantly needs to be installed in a similar structural manner to keep the vans structural integrity.
wtonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Child Car Seats in a Eurovan Westy??? Reply with quote

Thank you IdeaNerd and Xtremjeepn for the information. Makes sense.

Xtremjeepn wrote:
Sorry guys.

IdeaNerd is right, I've been swamped. I do love and miss you all on the forums though.

The van above was the first one built and eventually branded as CaveVan.

The wood in that van is Alder. Its all full thickness real wood.

VW has a tech document defining what structure must be added into the van when the roof is cut out. Basically the entire rear bed board is part of the structural element of the chassis.

For this reason its a bit more work to remove, and more importantly needs to be installed in a similar structural manner to keep the vans structural integrity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: