Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Chain
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Timing Chain Reply with quote

When are you suppose to change the timing chain in the 1999 Eurovans? I have 121k miles on the van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Well, ideally, before it breaks, or until you can't stand the suspense. Seriously, I think the 12v VR6 are more vulnerable.

On the very latest AXK 24v for the last model year 2003, I've heard it said that it should be left alone unless there are tell-tale signs that it is having challenges, particularly the "popcorn machine" rattling sound emanating back end of the motor. Ours is approaching 200kmi, still smooth and quiet valve train and all. Touch wood.
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Jonwid wrote:
Well, ideally, before it breaks, or until you can't stand the suspense. Seriously, I think the 12v VR6 are more vulnerable.

On the very latest AXK 24v for the last model year 2003, I've heard it said that it should be left alone unless there are tell-tale signs that it is having challenges, particularly the "popcorn machine" rattling sound emanating back end of the motor. Ours is approaching 200kmi, still smooth and quiet valve train and all. Touch wood.

Thanks! Didn't know the 12v were more vulnerable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

How loud is the popcorn noise? Do you have to lift the hood or can you hear it from inside the car?
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Hood up. At idle. Sounds like popcorn kernels stirring in the kettle before they start popping. It's the plastic chain tensioner guides that have started to break apart and allows the chain links to get loosey goosey and scrape against the walls that makes the sound.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I'd recommend to do them by the time they reach 20 years of age regardless of mileage. The plastic guides are a bit flimsy by todays standards and become brittle and will break away and allow the chains to flop around. VW designed the system for the life of the vehicle and 20 years fits in with that I figure...

I believe that the later 24 valve engines are harder on the drive system due to the increased effort required to turn the cams. The worn off transfer gears you see out there are from the 24 valve engines I believe. My original gear with 240,000 km in my 12 valve '99 looked not too bad, but I replaced it anyway. My guides were partially broken and did make some noise.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
I'd recommend to do them by the time they reach 20 years of age regardless of mileage. The plastic guides are a bit flimsy by todays standards and become brittle and will break away and allow the chains to flop around. VW designed the system for the life of the vehicle and 20 years fits in with that I figure...

I believe that the later 24 valve engines are harder on the drive system due to the increased effort required to turn the cams. The worn off transfer gears you see out there are from the 24 valve engines I believe. My original gear with 240,000 km in my 12 valve '99 looked not too bad, but I replaced it anyway. My guides were partially broken and did make some noise.

Good advice thanks!
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

gakali wrote:

I've read just the opposite on VW Vortex; that it was the 12v VR6's between 97-00 intermediate sprockets that had the problem with massive tooth decay, and it was attributed to a bad batch of parts with bad metal.

CaveVan Cole had the 24V AXK timing opened at 150ish Kmi, and his sprockets looked not too bad.

I also heard from Steve Schock at Europarts-SD that he sells very few sprockets for the 01-03's AXK's, people apparently aren't replacing them when they do the chains.

I'm going to be doing the timing chain job on our 03 GLS when I take down the 01P transaxle for a re-build, just because the timing system hasn't ever been done in 195Kmi. There's no noise at all. I've been absolutely religious about changing oil/filter every 5K with Mobil1 since forever. But the timing's right Smile if you have access to it. I'll not order the new sprockets until I can check their condition, I'm just going to get the chains, tensioners and guides from Steve for now.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Mine snapped off the ends of the tensioner guide rail. As for wear, little if any on the sprockets, rails or chain.

Remember, get a rear main seal because you'll have that cover off and it's super easy to change then.
my_vw_sucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I had to replace the intermediate sprocket on my '97 12v and '01 24v at about 80k miles.

Here's a shot of the sprocket from my '01:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and what it should look like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Mine snapped off the ends of the tensioner guide rail. As for wear, little if any on the sprockets, rails or chain.

Remember, get a rear main seal because you'll have that cover off and it's super easy to change then.

Did it cause engine damage ?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

It was going to cause damage if I wouldn't have fixed it. The check engine light came on and when I checked the codes it came down to that both cams were not able to adjust enough. I then tracked the cam timing as requested vs actual and it was off by a few degrees from idle to 6500. Just clearing the codes made them come back immediately. When I pulled the valve cover, there was plastic bits all over the place. So the chain was just sawing it's way through the broken area and the tensioner was fully released. Thus the bottom chain was loose.
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
It was going to cause damage if I wouldn't have fixed it. The check engine light came on and when I checked the codes it came down to that both cams were not able to adjust enough. I then tracked the cam timing as requested vs actual and it was off by a few degrees from idle to 6500. Just clearing the codes made them come back immediately. When I pulled the valve cover, there was plastic bits all over the place. So the chain was just sawing it's way through the broken area and the tensioner was fully released. Thus the bottom chain was loose.

Thanks. I think we have some noise. I just got this Van a month ago, and I am ready to just get rid of it.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

LongmontLou wrote:

Thanks. I think we have some noise. I just got this Van a month ago, and I am ready to just get rid of it.

I can understand that. These vans do have their issues that need to be dealt with once they get some age to them. That said they do make great vans and are a blast to own and drive once they get fixed up nicely. My wife hates driving our late model Caravan now since we got ours on the road.

Sorry to hear you're giving up on it.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
LongmontLou wrote:

I can understand that. These vans do have their issues that need to be dealt with once they get some age to them. That said they do make great vans and are a blast to own and drive once they get fixed up nicely. My wife hates driving our late model Caravan now since we got ours on the road.

Sorry to hear you're giving up on it.

I agree. After owning Vanagon Westy's for 15 years - and currently also owning an 08 Highlander Hybrid, my wife and I are blown away at our 2003 EVC. She likes the van better than the Toyo. We managed, before buying it tho - to have had the main issues - tranny, trans cooler, water pump and timing chain all dealt with. With Fox shocks, lift and Yoko Geolanders, it's like driving a cross between a Toureg, a Passat and an E-350. That said, if I had to spend a ton on those maintenance issues, I'd not love it nearly so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dono man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Hey all, new EV owner here. I just purchased a 2000 GLS on Monday and it's back at the dealer due to a check engine light. It came with a warranty that will cover anything so I'm not too worried but want it fixed right.
My question is what error codes are common with a timing chain/ sprocket related problem? They said it's a misfire code and if it was indeed a tming chain problem it would be a cam or timing error. The service manager is well aware of the sprocket's potential failure.
The EV has 148K miles on it.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

A VW tech told me it will throw a cam error if the chain is about to go. But if you have the popcorn noise that's a sure sign too.

For the misfire - replace plugs/wires, coil pack, and injectors. Trying each one first to see if it resolves it.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

You get a cam/crankshaft sensor out of sequence no matter what and then misfire (not always). There's no set mileage for timing chain system failures on the VR6. Some are at 75K and others make it 250K. My neighbors 2000 Jetta 12 VR6 has had the grinding cam chain noise since it hit 60K but no error codes as of yet.
dono man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Just got an update;
Timing is on, compression good, impedance on two plug wires off. "We'll replace the wires and install a set of new plugs for you"
Just want it fixed
Zeddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Listen to the van when it idles. If it sounds like a diesel engine, then timing chain may be flopping a bit and overall may be circling the drain. The guides are just plastic, then sprockets wear. The failure is harsh if timing chain snaps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: