Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Chain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Perfect, that VAG link worked like a charm.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
As for the phasers, once it's on TDC you can remove the bolt for each one. Then they slide off. After that, the plate is held on by a few bolts and it'll slide off. Only thing you got to be careful of is when you put the plate back on. Just lube up the sealing rings (they are like mini piston rings which are amazingly just like the rings that are in the transmission).

So, like piston rings do they need to be clocked a certain way, as in spaced such that the gaps don't overlap?

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
jjvincent wrote:
As for the phasers, once it's on TDC you can remove the bolt for each one. Then they slide off. After that, the plate is held on by a few bolts and it'll slide off. Only thing you got to be careful of is when you put the plate back on. Just lube up the sealing rings (they are like mini piston rings which are amazingly just like the rings that are in the transmission).

So, like piston rings do they need to be clocked a certain way, as in spaced such that the gaps don't overlap?
In the case for these rings, it doesn't matter plus they lock into themselves. They are to designed to hold pressure between them, not like on an engine from top to bottom.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I'm finally starting to put the timing assembly back together and the procedure states that I need to maintain pressure on the tensioner rail while turning the engine over two times to check the orientation of the cams. How have others maintained that pressure if doing this by yourselves?

[Edit] I ended up wedging a long prybar in there and it held the rail against the chain.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Thread in the tensioner one turn.

It's literally like a e46 BMW. You can either have the elaborate $800 tool or thread the tensionier one turn.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I still hadn't tightened the phasers, so the upper timing cover wasn't yet installed. Everything checked out timing wise, so I'll begin bolting the timing and valve covers on tomorrow.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

You should take apart the vanos on an e46. After you do that, the EV seems like it's childs play. I don't understand how two manufacturers that were trying to do the same exact thing simultaneously in the same country, yet one made it overly complex and the other didn't. Years ago someone gave me all of the BMW factory tools to do the cam timing and it's like 10 separate tools and I think it was around $4K brand new (you only really need 2 of the tools).

Just the tensioner tool alone is a nice machined part that goes in and then has a special bolt in it. That is attached to a flexible shaft that goes to a hand held torque limiting device. Just the massive blocks that hold the cams is overkill because if that's not enough, they have a special tool that goes in #6 spark plug with a fork, thus holds down the cam locking tools. The only time you ever torque down on the cams are through three M6 nuts on each. The size of the tools you'd think you were tightening down an axle nut. Then there's the special crank locking pin that pretty much nobody can figure out where it goes. Even when you can, most likely it was made for a brand new engine that is pristine.

I won't even get into the left hand threaded bolts or if you accidentally remove the helix on the end of the cam (if you do that, you might as well throw away the cams).

In conclusion, the VR6 is really easy.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I fired it up today. At first it was just to see if there were any odd noises or error codes, so there was no coolant. Then I test-filled the cooling system with tap water from a garden hose. It fired up and didn't have any obvious leaks from stuff I touched, but alas the radiator now has a small pinhole leak. Glad I didn't waste any liquid gold in the process.

It still has the popcorn sound, so the upper timing rail wasn't the culprit.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

All pinned back up with a complete cooling system, transmission service/cooler install and the upper timing rail replaced. It runs excellent and seems to have a slightly reduced volume to the popcorn sound. I was sweatin' bullets about what I did to the timing solenoids, so I'm glad they appear to be functioning and not throwing codes. Thanks for all the help getting me through these tasks.

y u rune klassik?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Will you be going back in for the lower timing rails later?

This job is on my "to do" list...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Probably, but my longterm goal is to convert the van to TDI

y u rune klassik?
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I have a one owner 2001 24V VR-6 MV with 103k miles. The intermediate gear has no visible signs of teeth! I don't know how it ran up to when it finally didn't! Bent a few valves and died! Owner claimed they always changed the oil when they should, what does that mean??
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
I have a one owner 2001 24V VR-6 MV with 103k miles. The intermediate gear has no visible signs of teeth! I don't know how it ran up to when it finally didn't! Bent a few valves and died! Owner claimed they always changed the oil when they should, what does that mean??

If properly serviced I'd suspect a soft gear which sadly didn't stand up. The new ones are revised and have a harder finish I believe.

Disassembly and inspection will determine if it was lack of proper service or just premature wear.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Take the cam phaser apart (the torx caps out of the back and pull out the pistons and springs. Clean up everything really good. No sense in not doing it since you'll have it out.

I get both excited and frightened at the prospect of tackling the cam phaser when I replace my timing chain in the ol' '99 EV MV with an AES engine.

Is there a good resource for doing this part of the job?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Does the AES even have cam phasers?

y u rune klassik?
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with Bremmen Parts? I'm shocked by the price difference at ECS for timing-related parts:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts...AwIBAQEBAg

A price of $3.50 does seem a bit too good to be true for a lower timing chain when OE costs $116 for the same part.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I've never heard of them, but they sound a lot like a supplier who wants to appear German without actually making their stuff in Germany or the EU. I believe Iwis is an OE supplier of chains to Mercedes, so I'd trust their aftermarket parts way more than a fly by night supplier like Bremmen--especially on a critical part like a timing chain. I also wouldn't skimp on the timing rails or tensioners.

y u rune klassik?
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Brunocerous wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Bremmen Parts? I'm shocked by the price difference at ECS for timing-related parts:

A price of $3.50 does seem a bit too good to be true for a lower timing chain when OE costs $116 for the same part.

I'm sure it's the low price Ebay type/Asian alternative but that in itself doesn't mean the part is junk. I'd probably avoid it though on a keeper vehicle just because.....

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

Brunocerous wrote:

I think the scrap value is more than $3.50

Genuine VW or go steal a Volvo from a family member..
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Reply with quote

I just got my 01 EV weekender with 155k back from having chains done at a local German repair shop. I went through the Euro parts of SD site and ordered everything that would be touched when taken apart spending about $1500. Cooling hoses and pipes, both water pumps, both intermediate timing gears, tranny pan, seal, cooler and dipstick etc, he also cleaned the phasers and removed the little screen that causes problems. The gears didn't look too bad and it probably would have gone another 50k but didn't want to take the chance of possibly having to do a complete rebuild if timing skipped. Cost was $2800. which included about 1000 for more parts. Now I am not afraid to drive this van anywhere! Well worth the $$ spent. I was going to get rebuilt tranny since it was out anyway, but decided not to since it works fine...for now, and cost to remove /replace later is only $500
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: