Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop assembly help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop assembly help Reply with quote

OK, Since I started this post I figure it's alright if I take it a little sideways with another question. I have decided to have the front and rear bows powdcoated. I figure that have the most exposure to the elements, so they need the added protection. My powdercoating shop told me that the powdercoating is thicker than paint so, some of the inprefections in the bows will not be so noticeable. What about the other parts? The locking mechanism is also painted but I am not sure I want to take a chance with flexing the powdercoating on the retaining strip when the headliner is installed. The 2 painted bows. while I see the advantage of PC I don't want to disassemble, (remove the rivets) from the arms that attach to them. Your thoughts please.

Geoff
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop assembly help Reply with quote

GB2S wrote:
I don't want to disassemble, (remove the rivets) from the arms that attach to them.

I left mine assembled. I made a request to the powder-coat company . . . PLEASE be sure to keep the bars at a ninety degree angle to the bow when coating/baking. They did that for me and it turned out fine!

BTW . . . the powder-coat company probably has a minimum charge . . . those two bows should be under the min. charge, so bring everything you might even consider having coated along with you when you go to get a quote. Ya might as well get your moneys worth!
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop assembly help Reply with quote

So get a gloss or satin black finish?

Geoff
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop assembly help Reply with quote

I had mine done in semi-gloss black. It was the least expensive because the shop I used does a large amount of fence panels, so they purchase huge quantities of that powder.
Perfect because I did not want high gloss or flat . . .
FWIW . . . the ragtop parts are not seen too much when everything is assembled.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop assembly help Reply with quote

So. another sideways move. I need to shape the 2 bows to their proper contour. Should I use the contour of the roof, or of the larger aluminum bow? Are the roof and aluminum contour the same? Anybody got any ideas for bending / shaping. I've asked before and was told to use a large tire. Anybody got plans for a jig, or any other ideas. I want to get it correct, too shallow of a bend or steep would look funny. If you have what you think is a correct contour, please post pics with a ruler / measuring tape.

Thanks Geoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: