Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motion Windows New Sliding side windows
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Motion Windows New Sliding side windows Reply with quote

I was talking to Stuart just over a month ago and told him how I wanted to replace my Jalousie windows with sliding windows and that I was thinking of going with Just Kampers. He told me about someone who used a local company that we believe did the window for the Rivieras back when they were doing conversions. So I decided to go local and this is my video of opening the box they came in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37VMIg7ialY
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

Motion Windows is a division of Peninsula Glass. Wonder if they make sliders for the rear side windows..?

What seal do these use?
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

They can make them for the rear but someone would either have to send them the measurements or take their bus to get measured. I would like to have a sliding rear hatch window also.
I don't know what seal it takes but I'm going to contact them tomorrow to find out.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

did they come with - or can you get - screens for them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

No, no screen. That was the one thing they don't do. We don't have a lot of bugs in the Northwest and my windows don't currently have screens or not screens that would keep bugs out so it wasn't an issue for me.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Sliding windows Reply with quote

Nice thanks for sharing!
Tcash

Motion Windows 6005 NE 121st Ave, Vancouver, WA 98682
http://www.motionwindows.com/

Peninsula glass company 6005 ne 121st ave vancouver wa 98682
http://www.peninsulaglass.com/contacts/
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

After months of procrastinating I finally got my windows in. The issue I had with the corners in this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659694&highlight=
,were missing spacers for the window frame corners. I called motion windows and explained the problem but it took more explaining than I would have liked before they understood what I was missing. After they realized the problem they sent the spacers out and I had them the next day. That was sometime in July.
Long story not as long, on Saturday I was visited by Stuart and within and hour he had the one window out and both put in. They look great and I'm very pleased with them. I love the tint and the quality of the glass, frame and tint is excellent. My one and only critique is the latch, while sturdy and will probably never give me an issue, is bare aluminum and just seams unfinished or less refined. They are small and not as nice looking as what I have seen on the Just Kampers versions but it by no means is a deal breaker. I have to find something wrong right?
so here are the pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't have peanuts to pay Stuart so I got him a hamburger from XXX Rootbeer.

Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Motion Windows is a division of Peninsula Glass. Wonder if they make sliders for the rear side windows..?

What seal do these use?

I used these seals. http://www.busdepot.com/221845321a
Put them in the dryer for about 10-15 minutes and used Pledge Wood Wax as the lubricant. Went in without a problem.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

The forum cheers as Stu makes a guest appearance. Applause

Nice Windows.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

great looking window.
I'd like to see a slider for the rear hatch glass.. then while in the back while camping can get a nice breeze on occasion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
great looking window.
I'd like to see a slider for the rear hatch glass.. then while in the back while camping can get a nice breeze on occasion.

That's something I would like to see Motion Window to make. I'm thinking one like they put in pickup trucks with the middle section that slides either in half or off to one side.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

That would be very cool to have a sliding rear hatch window!

Your sliders look really good! I am going to have mine tinted as well. What percent tint did you go with?

I have the Just Kampers sliders. They must have a slightly different frame shape because they were very tight. They also came with seals so that may add to the better fit in the corners.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

Your sliders look really good! I am going to have mine tinted as well. What percent tint did you go with?

I didn't specify what %, they just come tinted. I would guess 5%. They are pretty dark. And it's the glass that is tinted not a film covering it.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

And I just may have the screens. Shown here up against the stock sliders. Got these on here several years ago. Still need more driving ventilation. Jalousies are not much help.

How do these lock? Not a big fan of the glue on glass latches.

Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
And I just may have the screens. Shown here up against the stock sliders. Got these on here several years ago. Still need more driving ventilation. Jalousies are not much help.

How do these lock? Not a big fan of the glue on glass latches.

I have no idea if those screens would fit on the new frames. Doesn't look like it. I'm ok without screens for now and if I really need some, I could probably make some crappy ones just for camping to use.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

I just ordered the Lucky Brand windows for my slider and right rear from cip1. $396 for both, shipped. With seals. No tax. The JK's were $486. It'll be interesting to see how they fit. I would have tried to go local if I had known about these.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

What was the cost of your windows compared to the just kampers version?

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

Lil' Lulu wrote:
I just ordered the Lucky Brand windows for my slider and right rear from cip1. $396 for both, shipped. With seals. No tax. The JK's were $486. It'll be interesting to see how they fit. I would have tried to go local if I had known about these.

I paid $623 for the local ones with shipping and handling without seals. I don't know if it was worth it but too late now. I don't think they make many of these so it was more like a one or two off production.
I want to go down and see if they can make a sliding window for the rear. They said they could make ones for the side like Just Kampers makes but they would need to know the dimensions. I think the only benefit of Motion Windows over JK is the tint, which is very nice.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

Still interested in how these windows latch. Am I seeing 2 through glass bolts in the pics?
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Motion Windows Sliding side windows Reply with quote

I'll take pictures of the latches later after work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: