Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Almost have a Bus -- My Story
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Way to go mechanicjay, you have great enthusiasm! Sounds like bus is happy you found it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Just did valve cover gaskets...dang it!

Save my number somewhere, I won't be on the samba regularly for a while. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Even though it needs to be gone through mechanically and cosmetically, I think you bought yourself a good bus. It looks really solid. The Riviera top is a bonus, especially vs a '73 westy.

See if Volkzbitz will rebuild your stock carbs. They will be as good as new. He can rebush them and install a screw-in fuel inlet which prevents the too common problem of the press fitting popping out and fuel shooting all over the engine.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/home.html
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I snapped some detail shots of oil leaks. As you can see EVERYthing is wet, with a significant amount of washdown in various areas.

The trick with tracking an oil leak is basically to find the clean spot in the middle of the gunk.

First shot is the what I hope is that the corner of the valve cover gasket and not something like the pushrod tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next series of images, while not great, shows lots of wetness up at the oilcooler, then where it's washing down the side and backside of the engine and the ultimate drips on the bottom of the case:

Like I said, I need to pull the top tin off confirm, but if I had to guess, I'd say the oil cooler seals are shot which is a majority of the leak.
2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ - The wife and kid mobile.
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Even though it needs to be gone through mechanically and cosmetically, I think you bought yourself a good bus. It looks really solid. The Riviera top is a bonus, especially vs a '73 westy.

See if Volkzbitz will rebuild your stock carbs. They will be as good as new. He can rebush them and install a screw-in fuel inlet which prevents the too common problem of the press fitting popping out and fuel shooting all over the engine.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/home.html

Thanks for that link! The carbs on the bus are not the original stockers. They lack vacuum provisions for things such as Vacuum advance, retard, etc. I guess they're either an aftermarket or from a much older setup.

I'm starting to collect all the parts I need for a swap back to stock setup. Thanks to RONIN10 for giving a good head-start on that!
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Just did valve cover gaskets...dang it!

Save my number somewhere, I won't be on the samba regularly for a while. Wink

It's okay, when I did the oil pan gasket on my truck, I managed to just rolled the corner of the seal ever so slightly....1qt on the ground every 200 miles. Whoops!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

On your oil cooler leak, don't do what I did and assume it's just the oil cooler seals. Pressure test the oil cooler before reinstalling it. I didn't and on my type 1 powered bus, it required me yanking the engine out a second time to replace the cooler. d'oh!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
On your oil cooler leak, don't do what I did and assume it's just the oil cooler seals. Pressure test the oil cooler before reinstalling it. I didn't and on my type 1 powered bus, it required me yanking the engine out a second time to replace the cooler. d'oh!

Good Pro-tip, thanks!
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

I dug into the bus bit today, I just started stripping the interior, figuring it had to happen sooner or later. I was a little dismayed at what I found. I expected some rust, but oy....

This was the "new" floor the PO put in, you can see the Z-bed hinge lifting on the the one side.

It turns out this is because there was no material for it to bolt to underneath. The worst spot is in front for the rear driver's side wheel well:

At this point, I'm assuming when the PO took out the old floor and saw how bad it was,he chucked a new sheet of plywood down and stuck a sign in it. Buyer beware. I'm actually not too upset, I would just have appreciated an honest accounting of the issues the bus had.

What's the recommended approach for this? Should I weld in small patches, or cut out a big section and try to get a large patch from a donor?

Here we can see moisture free to flow in through the Shore Power hookup:

The one I'm actually most upset about is behind the spare tire on the front:

As you can see the metal is torn, allowing water to flow into the front of the bus, not quite sure how to handle that one right now either.

Anyway, I was planning on addressing the mechanical issues quickly so I could hammer the bus around for a bit, but I think the rot holes are pre-empting the minor mechanical issues.

I'm going to go enjoy a beer now.

--Jason
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Assuming money was no object.

Would you go for a full replacement floor section:
http://www.busdepot.com/j11765

Or a panel that you can cut and patch in:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/cargo-floor-section-59-length-x-15-width_316072

Since it's a camper, I'll be adding in my own reinforced seatmounts regardless, so I'm not worried about having the stock mounting locations.

Suggestions?

Also, looking up front cab floorpans, I see the part listed for 68-72 and 74-79. Mines a '73, suggestions?
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Sorry you found more rust than you expected.

If the rest of the floor is solid I would cut the rust only as far as it takes to get to good metal and weld in patch sections. If its all crusty, a whole cargo floor would be a better option.

Those front tire carriers are notorious for causing damage unfortunately.

Last edited by Pinetops on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

mechanicjay wrote:
Assuming money was no object.

Would you go for a full replacement floor section:
http://www.busdepot.com/j11765

Or a panel that you can cut and patch in:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/cargo-floor-section-59-length-x-15-width_316072

Since it's a camper, I'll be adding in my own reinforced seatmounts regardless, so I'm not worried about having the stock mounting locations.

Suggestions?

Lets see the whole floor, particularly along the outer edges and at each corner.

Also, looking up front cab floorpans, I see the part listed for 68-72 and 74-79. Mines a '73, suggestions?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Well, I think Ernie would want you to repair it right the fist time as you will never have to do it again in your lifetime Wink

The rose colored glasses loose their tint the more familiar you are. Just don't let it breed contempt. That water intrusion back by the rear wheel well is most likely that rear wing window. Happens to all of us. When replacing the rear driver side rubber - I used a piece of glass from the pass side and eliminated that stupid wing window. No more leak.

Keep pluggin along brother!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Well, I think Ernie would want you to repair it right the fist time as you will never have to do it again in your lifetime

Yes, "ERNIE SAYS", "replace, replace, replace". Not only so you don't have to do it again or your children don't have to do it again, but so you don't have to worry. Given the condition of what you can see, why take chances that even a tiny bit gets left behind and continues to rot? Won't you always question what that rust is busy doing when you aren't watching?

Hope you thoroughly check all of the under frame. I hate to say it but I will.... "where there's smoke - there's fire".

With Ernie, it was a hard and sad decision to retire him, but in retrospect I am so glad we did. There's nothing like the peace of mind of knowing you are starting fresh with good clean metal that is properly prepared and protected for the long haul. Think about what's best for the next generation? Create something you can pass down that will be safe for your children's use?

I agree with Notchboy - don't let this set back breed contempt or as someone else told me over in the Ernie thread "bitter disgust". It's all fixable and your bus will be better and safer for the effort. What's my point? Fully replace all that you can afford to replace with new, and good luck to you and your family.

I hope I don't come across as preachy. As Ernie's mom I feel some responsibility to caution him about getting other people into similar trouble. Laughing
Ion Pod Trailer
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Oh gosh, no contempt here. Ultimately I understand this is a 43 year old vehicle. It has way less rust than my 35 year old F100.

As I was enjoying my nth beer tongiht, sitting on the the rear parcel shelf, talking with my FIL, I kinda decided, that getting the replacement panels and doing it right, once, the first time is really the only way to go. The only issue is that it adds a *alot* of unanticipated expense and delay (most of the delay is saving up for the panels) to the project.

I have pics of the whole and the 4 corners as requested, which I'll post a bit later.

There's no wing windows in this one. But the fiberglass top look like it had a nasty leak at some point along with the main seal on the side slider. Looking at it closer, I think this thing rotted from the inside out, due to water intrusion. A real bummer.
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Pictures as requested:

The whole floor:

The driver's rear corner you can see above.

Pass rear:

Pass front:

Drivers Front:

The cab floor. Since there are no parts listed for a '73, I'm assuming it was a transitional year? This was built 9/73. Anyway, what can you guys tell me from a pic of the whole cab floor?

69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

First off, congrats on the new set of wheels!

I am interested to see what you do with the seat belts.
My 7 and 9 year old neighbors ask me every day when they can ride in the bus. I have good belts up front but the kids have to stay in the back. I currently have no seat belts in the back and with it being a folding seat I have no clue how to mount them.
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
First off, congrats on the new set of wheels!

I am interested to see what you do with the seat belts.
My 7 and 9 year old neighbors ask me every day when they can ride in the bus. I have good belts up front but the kids have to stay in the back. I currently have no seat belts in the back and with it being a folding seat I have no clue how to mount them.

I've put more thought into the seatbelt arrangement so far than any other single item, and I think I have a plan. Pretty much everything can be had from justkampers.com

1) Replace the front belts with new Intertial Reel units.
http://www.justkampers.com/catalog/product/view/sku/J14693

2) Replace the "center" rear belt with a new static lap belt
http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...split.html
3) Replace the left-rear belt with a 3-point w/ extension -- this just uses the factory mount holes.
http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...-1979.html

I'm forgoing a shoulder belt for the "center" seat in the rear.

Now comes the modification parts.
1) I'm going to add two rear tethers to the far back, just in front of the rear hatch, where it won't interfer with the bed cusion. I will do this by welding in flat steel reinforcement bar in the engine compartment and bolting it down with rated hardware. I've been told its "not possible" to retrofit this kind of stuff in, but honestly, as long as it's bolted through a welded reinforcement plate, I can't see how it's less safe than no top-tether.
http://www.midwestbusparts.com/index.php?main_page...ts_id=1625

2) I'm going to re-engineer my buddy seat so it sits right up against the bulkhead, so it can share a head-rest with the front passenger seats (the way later model westy jumpseats work). I will be adding head-rests to my '73 front seats, since the holes are there.

3) I was thinking about trying to retrofit in removable head-rests into the rear folding seat, a couple lengths of pipe, u-bolts and metal reinforced backing should really do the trick.
(I read a thread on this somewhere in the vanagon area last week, but can't find it at the moment)

4) I will be removing the current lower attachment point for the buddy seatbelt as installed by ASI, which you can see in this picture as it looks completely hinky:

and welding in an actual attachment point into the A-pillar.

I will also be welding in a shoulder attachment point in the geometrically correct spot, since doubling up on the shoulder bung just seems wrong. I will replicate this for the Passenger side.
http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...-pair.html

And using the static 3-point buddy seat belt again from just kampers.
http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...-belt.html

The only issue I've yet to work out is how to "lock" the Z-bed in place, but I'm certain some clever bracketry can take care of this.

In short, the only things I'm adding are legit mount points for the rear facing buddy seats (which you shouldn't be putting car seats in anyway). And top tethers for forward facing car seats on the rear bench. Everything else is using the factory Seatbelt mount points.

While I'm at it, I'm going to add a reinforcement plate under the floor for the z-bed hinges to bolt to, since the 6 sheet metal screws they were initially installed with just doesn't seem strong enough to me.

As mentioned above, I'm going to engineer my buddy seat, x2, as well as the fridge/sink cabinet to all have the same mount points so I can mix-n-match seating and camping configs....It's gonna be great!

Last edited by mechanicjay on Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

Those floors don't look horrible, your best option is to find some genuine German metal from another rusty donor, the middles of the floors don't rust often, that way it's the same thickness and profile as the floor. Those patch panels work OK, but are often thinner and don't quite match up with the ribs in the floor, I'd rather spend an hour drilling welds for a patch part than F'ng around making the new sub par peice fit. All will require some finessing in the corners where the flat parts and stampings are, luckily your floor is covered up so solid counts more than look, it's not a naked panelvan going to Pebble beach.

As for your seat belt issues consider a trip to the autowrecker, all seatbelts regardless of brand fit the same bolt holes, you can likely score some really advanced units for the whole bus for less than one of those JK units costs after shipping, worth a look.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost have a Bus -- My Story Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Those floors don't look horrible, your best option is to find some genuine German metal from another rusty donor, the middles of the floors don't rust often, that way it's the same thickness and profile as the floor. Those patch panels work OK, but are often thinner and don't quite match up with the ribs in the floor, I'd rather spend an hour drilling welds for a patch part than F'ng around making the new sub par peice fit. All will require some finessing in the corners where the flat parts and stampings are, luckily your floor is covered up so solid counts more than look, it's not a naked panelvan going to Pebble beach.

As for your seat belt issues consider a trip to the autowrecker, all seatbelts regardless of brand fit the same bolt holes, you can likely score some really advanced units for the whole bus for less than one of those JK units costs after shipping, worth a look.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking of the full floor panels from Bus Depot, I think I'd spend just as much time dicking around cutting and finessing in patches as if I just do the whole thing...Maybe I'm wrong.

As far as belts go, The whole Seat Belt Plan, is going to cost about $300. For brand new modern good belts all around. I'm wary of Junk Yard belts as you just don't know the history of the belts. Have they been stressed due to collision? They're probably already 10+ years old.... It just seems like a loosing deal to go with used belts to me. To each his own.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: