Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 Bus TS II Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

Hi. I have stock FI on my 2 liter motor. I want to replace the TS II because the wire is pretty chewed up, with not many strands still connected. I'm also finding oil in the cup-like seal for the sensor. I have a spare used sensor, but its washer is kind of deformed. I'm wondering if the washer can be removed and replaced with something? Picture below, although its hard to capture the deformities. I'm pretty sure this won't fly as is.

Thanks,
Andy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

how do you know that the used one is good? have you tested the resistance?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

What you see there is a crush washer/gasket.

I'm guess VW/Bosch put it there in order for the steel body of the sensor's bolt not to damage the aluminum heads while torquing the sensor. Other than that, I'd say it's not a critical piece of the function of the sensor and it's not critical either if it's not completely flat. Unlike other crush washer applications, it doesn't have to form a fluid-proof seal.

That said, the crucial part is that the sensor has a good ground connection to the engine case. The crush washer helps, but that is mostly achieved through the sensor threads having good contact with the threaded hole in the cylinder head. But while you're in there, you might as well replace it and install the sensor in the best way you can.

My original TS2 had a copper washer (more conductive), whereas the new Bosch TS2 I replaced it with had an aluminum copper washer (softer). So I'm thinking either material should do.

To answer your question, I guess you can use regular solid aluminum or copper washers for metric M10 screws. Perhaps one of these?

https://www.belmetric.com/solid-copper-gaskets-c-11_91/gsc10x12-solid-copper-gasket-p-6135.html
https://www.belmetric.com/aluminum-gaskets-c-11_92/ga10x14-aluminum-gasket-p-534.html

But yes, I guess it goes without saying that you should test the function of the used sensor before installing it Smile

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

As posted you can make due without the washer.
The oil you are seeing should not be coming from that hole, because that hole is blind and goes no where.

Happy Father's Day
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
The oil you are seeing should not be coming from that hole, because that hole is blind and goes no where.

Now in all fairness he never specified what hole he found that in, some PO's are rather creative.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

Yeah whoa, there, Nellie!! I realize that I am confusing two components, the TS II and the oil pressure sending unit. The "newer" TS II has been installed, and seems to work. It better, because in removing the old one (which didn't have a washer), the wire snapped off. I took off the washer, it was all copper and no match for needle-nose.

Now then. The oil pressure sender is the thing with the cup seal that's filling with oil. Can this sender conceivably leak internally? I have another one laying around somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

Glad it worked. To be clear though, I wasn't advocating for removing the washer altogether. If it weren't going to be replaced, I think leaving the soft washer in would have been nicer to the cylinder head.

As per the oil switch leak, others with more experience will probably add their comments.

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
The oil pressure sender is the thing with the cup seal that's filling with oil. Can this sender conceivably leak internally? .

Yes, it's not uncommon for them to leak after 40+ years.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Now in all fairness he never specified what hole he found that in, some PO's are rather creative.

This is so true!

It all makes sense now.

Change oil pressure switch
Oil Pressure Switch Air Cooled VW ID

Happy Father's Day
Tcash
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

Thanks, y'all. Happy Father's Day! I spent mine in the driveway screwing things in.

Great link.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
Thanks, y'all. Happy Father's Day! I spent mine in the driveway screwing things in.

Great link.

Better screwing things in, than screwing thing up.
Laughing
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Bus TS II Question Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
...finding oil in the cup-like seal for the [oil pressure] sensor...

Oil pressure switches will leak in two places.. around the threaded area, and from the plastic side where the wire plugs in, at the swage.
Leaks at the threaded area can be a cracked case, stretched threads in the case, or just not torqued. If i understand it right, the metric threads on a stock oil pressure switch do not seal like a U.S. pipe thread does. You would need a crush gasket if you're installing a replacement switch with a metric size. If you replace it with a 1/8" NPT threaded sender, the pipe threads will seal against the case without needing a crush gasket.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: