Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Triage on an engine fire...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what to say. I thought all the fuel lines were fine, but apparently not all of them were.

As far as engine fires go, we were very lucky. I heard a pop and I knew something was wrong immediately, so I pulled over into a very large shoulder, shut the engine off, and coasted to a stop. At that point the cab filled up with smoke. We got out of the car, threw open the hatch and engine lid, and starting throwing our two water bottles worth on the engine. A minute later, a man in a truck showed up with a fire extinguisher and put out most of the fire, but it stayed lit on top of the transmission, I guess that insulation is very flammable. We fought it back with water bottles for about 5 minutes until a patrol car showed up with another extinguisher and ended it. 10 minutes later a volunteer fire fighter showed up and made sure everything was out.

Here is a before and after:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What can be salvaged? I don't think the engine seized, because the starter was shorted out and sporadically tried to turn it over. Sounded like it cranked fine. Would a campfire on top of an auto tranny for 5 minutes melt the pistons? Basically everything plastic is too far gone. AFM. Wiring. Coolant lines look alright.

Last edited by jkmcrg on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

engine and tranny are probly fine, electric and injection stuff is probably toast.

assuming dry powder extingusher was used, you have little time to remove all traces of that corrosiv epowder before it starts to destroy stuff, it will eat thru the magnessium tranny case rapidly, an
d does agood job on the aluminum engine too. so wash it all down super good, leave no powder a anyplace.

of course keep the water out of the motor and tranny. dont let any of the powder nor its rinse water inside the intake.

then consider redoing the wires, and all the elecrrics and injection bits. big job, but at least you knocked down the fire before it spread and warped the body.

any idea on what failed?

so job one is too immediatly clean up the highly corrosive dry chemical extingusher residues. this is extremely important to do immedialty.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jkmcrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

okay I'll make sure to clean it down good, and soon. That would be amazing if the engine and tranny were okay... I guess I'll run em through their paces and see. Sounds like a big job, indeed. But it sounds doable. Gonna sleep this off in a motel, now. Big day tomorrow u haul towing it the rest of the 800 miles to Colorado.

A fuel line blew out the side. The return to the tank line. I noticed it did look older than the other lines in the van, but didn't think too much about it. So. Guess it's kind of my fault
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

never trust a PO
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

jkmcrg wrote:
okay I'll make sure to clean it down good, and soon. That would be amazing if the engine and tranny were okay... I guess I'll run em through their paces and see. Sounds like a big job, indeed. But it sounds doable. Gonna sleep this off in a motel, now. Big day tomorrow u haul towing it the rest of the 800 miles to Colorado.

A fuel line blew out the side. The return to the tank line. I noticed it did look older than the other lines in the van, but didn't think too much about it. So. Guess it's kind of my fault

so your saying the hose ruptured??

if so the blame could be on the government and it rubber rotting mandated new fangled fuels.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

That's heartbreaking to read and see... my deepest sympathies Crying or Very sad

It might be easiest to find a beat up but running Vanagon of similar year and take everything piece by piece. I would think that unless you see melted metal on the engine or transmission, I would guess the insides should be fine.
joeyTWOwheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

oh man, sorry to read this. Good luck!
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

So sorry about your new engine. Very bad break to have fuel line failure.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Bummer, but could have been worse and glad you are ok

Insurance? = Suby swap with harness etc.

Next $99 spent= Blaze cut
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Aww man. Too many times folks put up engine rebuild posts on here... then soon after meet with a kaput. Sorry for your difficulties but glad you're OK.

-Rob
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Newfisher. I'm sold on that - where could I find it for 99 clams? Thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Bad luck, but don't sweat it! I bought my work van with a worse burn job than that. I dropped the motor and spent a day cleaning off the melted crap and replacing all the accessories with good used parts. The coolant hoses that burned though where replaced and it all went back in the next day. My friend swore to me that the aluminum of the heads and block would be a good enough heat sink that the rubber head gaskets and the short hose between head and water pump would be fine. He was right, 50k later it is still running great! So, take it home, clean it up and hop back on the horse again.

Hans
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

This link may be helpful to clean up and neutralize the ABC chemicals......

http://www.pyrochem.com/pdfs/miscellaneous/PC2008148.pdf

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

as a caution to other NEW owners or those trusting others at replacing fuel lines.
I've seen on far too many vans with the fuel lines replaced/serviced
that the rubber line on the BACK SIDE of the PS firewall bulkhead is too often still ORIGINAL VW and that even one or both of the hose clamps are corroded right off.

EVERY vanagon owner should make sure that every inch of hose is new.
even a trusted mechanic will likely only replace from the bulkhead to the motor..

I'm assuming that's why/where you were having trouble putting the fire out over the transmission.. it was saturated in gas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

here's the website:
http://jogrusa.com/collections/blazecut

here's the thread link as it's 14 pgs. of back and forth on here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565193&highlight=blaze+cut

You see different variations of how people installed it. Ideally you want it over the sources of flame-fuel lines
It can be a challenge bending and laying it out so it does, but here is mine and starting to lay the tube where the fuel line comes in from the firewall to the pressure regulator following the fuel lines out to the injectors on the #3&4 cylinders going back across the firewall to reach the #1&2 cylinder injectors. There is a wire mesh inside the foam attached to the engine cover that you can zip-ty it to.
Worth every penny to buy and install.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
as a caution to other NEW owners or those trusting others at replacing fuel lines.
I've seen on far too many vans with the fuel lines replaced/serviced
that the rubber line on the BACK SIDE of the PS firewall bulkhead is too often still ORIGINAL VW and that even one or both of the hose clamps are corroded right off.

EVERY vanagon owner should make sure that every inch of hose is new.
even a trusted mechanic will likely only replace from the bulkhead to the motor..

I'm assuming that's why/where you were having trouble putting the fire out over the transmission.. it was saturated in gas.

part of the problem with the fire on the tranny may have been reignition by the starter wires shorting. ,poster said his starter tried to crank during the fire do to a short.

unfurtunatly the vans battery while placed far from the flames, is not nessecarily readily accessable if the seat track is sticky!

a battery quick shut off switch is recommened along with easy working seat slides.

A large fire extingusher may also be helpful.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Always follow any significant mechanical work (e.g. anything involving engine removal) with a significant period of 'shakedown' driving (200+ miles). During that shakedown period, you should stop frequently and look above/below the engine for anything that might be amiss, gradually extending the times between peeks at the engine, e.g. look after 1/2 mile, then after 1 more mile, then after 5 more miles, etc.... That behavior will often catch any fuel or coolant leaks before your engine is a melted or burned up lump.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

That just sucks, but you should have a good engine long block and tranny to start again.

I installed a battery cutoff a few years ago (after an engine fire that was constantly reignited by shorted wiring...). Live and learn....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

look for someone doing an engine swap
all the peripheral components shouldn't be too much $$ if someone is sympathetic and doing an engine swap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Triage on an engine fire... Reply with quote

Major bummer dude. Could have been worse tho

Steve M. wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

here's the website:
http://jogrusa.com/collections/blazecut

I ended up getting 2 for my van. I was concerned on the speed of how it dumps (& quickly goes away). I felt a backup was needed. I was also able to capitalize on the free shipping once my order was over 200 I think. He sells used parts too. That's where I got my Jalousie windows from Cool

Quote:
dobryan wrote:
I installed a battery cutoff a few years ago (after an engine fire that was constantly reignited by shorted wiring...). Live and learn....

Me too, got mine here
http://www.rallylights.com/hl87181-battery-master-...d-key.html

Also, you can still buy a Halon bottle if you find an extinguisher shop. I bought a used 1211 Halon 5 pound bottle that was refilled with mount bracket a few months ago. It was $100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: