Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

-New types of food you were turned on to.

What about ying lings? also did "steal this book" get read?

YES!! Summit Lake, Oregon reading by the lake! That was one. What's the other one I can't remember?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

wow, my little comment kinda threw this train into the brush didn't it? my bad. We did get lots of good information out of it though. Glad you made it home safe and sound, Robbie.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
...the rods are blued and slightly ovaled...
... I will eventually need... some rod machine work...
I can trust old worn out parts in my own engine that I would never dream of putting in someone else's car.
Robbie

when you get ready to do that, may I suggest you call Jose at DPR for your rebuilt rods. I got my engine's set from him and they were absolutely beautiful, you couldn't even see or feel the parting line the machine work was so well done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
...the rods are blued and slightly ovaled...
... I will eventually need... some rod machine work...
I can trust old worn out parts in my own engine that I would never dream of putting in someone else's car.
Robbie

when you get ready to do that, may I suggest you call Jose at DPR for your rebuilt rods. I got my engine's set from him and they were absolutely beautiful, you couldn't even see or feel the parting line the machine work was so well done.

The way one tells a good resizing on a rod is to look for scribe marks 360 degrees on both sides inside the big ends with no gaps in the lines at the part line as that is where a rod will pinch. Also lay it flat on a solid surface, insert the wrist pin and wiggle it.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
-$10 for the OG sump plate I bought in Cotati, CA, since I had a feeling the threads were going out on mine.

Harmony Garage on Old Redwood Highway?
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I like whats going on here...

I'd say it was a pretty save and pleasant trip, seeing you can remember all that sh*t, unless that is you're leaving out a lot you don't remember, Laughing .?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

-New types of food you were turned on to.

What about ying lings? also did "steal this book" get read?

OF COURSE! That was the other book I couldn't remember the name of!

Yuengling beer! How could I forget???? That shit was a lol, until two nights later I went to see this band live and heard this song for the first time. Now it has a special place in my heart:

(starts at 0:30)

Link

--

tristessa wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
-$10 for the OG sump plate I bought in Cotati, CA, since I had a feeling the threads were going out on mine.

Harmony Garage on Old Redwood Highway?

Yep! That's the one. Joel didn't sound terribly interested in helping me, probably because I just needed a part with little markup and no shop labor service… Such is the self-sufficient lifestyle…

zoobum wrote:
I like whats going on here...

I'd say it was a pretty save and pleasant trip, seeing you can remember all that sh*t, unless that is you're leaving out a lot you don't remember, Laughing .?

I mean, technically the trip is still going. I stopped at my parents house for a day, because that's where I started my milage log, but I said "fuck it" to the engine and also "deal with it" and "we're going until you drop, dammit."

So we went about 600 miles more, from LA to SD, to Corona, to Palm Springs, and now to Simi Valley for family dinner. Joshua Tree this weekend, then Corona, Oceanside, and then who knows where!

Of course there's so much I remember because I took a lot of pictures. But I'm already forgetting days and days. Friends are contacting me, "dude remember that night in Chicago at the piano bar?" No, but I do now! Laughing

--

I guess there were some photos I think I forgot. GoWesty was meh, as usual.

Then I had breakfast in my favorite Danish town!

Crossed the Bixby Bridge.

My road trip log is PAGES long. Every gas stop, maintenance performed, and notes about the drive.

And then we washed our cars. Duh.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I see the readership is down a few this week.

We went places.

And more places.

This road was tricky. There may or may not have been a winch involved.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Unfortunately I was too busy driving and placing rocks to get videos, but my GF got a good one of me. Buddy made it up the same route as this:

Link

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

VW buses do quite well off road. I've taken my bus to amazing places
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Today, I waxed every painted surface in the cabin, from the window frames in the cab, to every cockpit control lever, (yes, under the pedal pads!) to the intake plenum, to the bottle opener mounted on the cabinet in the back.

Seems like the bay forum has been a little under the weather recently. Maybe it's just me. Here's a post to fit the current quality of threads.

I was halfway through ripping apart the interior to detail the rubber mats and wax all the things:

When I thought I should take care of the paint marks on the rubber mat from the PO once and for all.

Can't say it looks factory but I'll sleep a little easier at night.

Last edited by airschooled on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Seems like the bay forum has been a little under the weather recently. Maybe it's just me. Here's a post to fit the current quality of threads.

Perhaps it's a good sign that threads are becoming a wee bit mundane. That means there are fewer larger problems to address.

Also, now that Cynthia's bus crisis has been successfully addressed, we're exhausted. d'oh!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Wait a minute, where was that marker made?, doesn't look like a Staedtler from here, aren't you worried that seethrough Chinese ink will eat right through the mat to the bottom of your bus? Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Well it will be a few hours before I can get out to the parking lot to check... Do you think in that time it can eat through the CoastalAirCooledVW Commemorative Holey Floormat, the carpet, the plywood, the Reflectix, the Dynamat, and the floor? Cool
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

You aren't starting a tear into the engine thread now??
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
You aren't starting a tear into the engine thread now??

I have prayed at the alter of Nordhoff and Porsche, and I have a trust in these parts that requires no further inspection.

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Shocked
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Shocked

That's right. Razz

Just over three thousand miles since Durango. John promised me 200 miles, and we both agreed 800 should be feasible. I mean, the spark plug could puke, but I have a spare head at home, and replacement is an afternoon job. If I have a helper I think I should be able to do it with the engine in the car.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
richparker wrote:
Shocked

That's right. Razz

Just over three thousand miles since Durango. John promised me 200 miles, and we both agreed 800 should be feasible. I mean, the spark plug could puke, but I have a spare head at home, and replacement is an afternoon job. If I have a helper I think I should be able to do it with the engine in the car.

But what about the generator belt?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

If you don't live on the edge you'll never really experience life, these engines have put up with far worse and zero monitoring or maintenance. I see where you are going with this, a calculated roll of the dice and you are prepared to accept the consequences whatever they may be, definitely more exciting than a nicked fan belt. Drive on and lets see what happens!, the result may be epic, or rediculously boring, only miles will tell. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: