Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

I used the type 3 aviation sealant. It does say non hardening on the bottle. I backed them off a bit in the same torque sequence and got them to 23 ft lbs. I suppose I'll know 100% when I turn the key. Time to start dressing!

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Get er done!
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Just a quick update with a before and after pic. I still have to finish up the FI and the exhaust but this should be back on the street this weekend. Bummer I had to go out of town for a few days.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Campmobile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Nice going.
Tcash
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Hi All-

I wanted to get your opinion on the hose run from CSV to fuel rail. I believe my old bus had a rubber FI hose with a sleeve over it. This one had a metal pipe that ran to both sides which needs 2 short hoses on the rail side and CSV side for the 1/2 bank and the 3/4 bank.

My thought was to go back to single hose with sleeve(for each side) because that is what it appears to be in the Bentley and it would have 2 less connections or points of failure on each side.

Your thoughts?

VW Campmobile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Two less connections
10? times more hose to fail

I would stick with the metal fuel lines.

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

in 78 they installed those extra metal rails.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Two less connections
10? times more hose to fail

I would stick with the metal fuel lines.

Good luck
Tcash

The top one is what I took off. I paused because of the fire discussion lately. Seemed odd to have more connections than necessary.

So you are recommending putting the metal line back in Steve?

VW Campmobile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

76 and 77 used high pressure rubber hose. 78 and 79 used metal line. I really don't know why VW did that. That line has to be high pressure. I have not seen any evidence that VW suggested retro fitting those engines without the steel. Nothing like that is in my supplements book so it may have been nothing more than a cost move. Or it may have been safety minded. I don't know. I have a 77 and use high pressure line with a sheath over it. If I did a 78 I would use metal. But I do think about the difference every time I look at it.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Ok here is the "stock" setup on 3/4. All new seals, hose and clamps. It's probably not necessary but I put the gray sheething over the metal line.

VW Campmobile
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 She's Running! Reply with quote

I had the final push today and only have the bumper to go. I was able to turn key and the bus started right up! She's incredibly noisy right now which I expected until the lifters pump up but No leaks, No Fires! Its a great day!

New Mahle Pistons, Rings and Cylinders all around. New AMC heads(out of the box) on both sides. New fuel hoses and injector seals and some paint.

Thanks for all your help!

Before-

After-

VW Campmobile
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Hey, nice job getting her done in a timely manner! Also kudos for not buying into the forum, internet BS of the type 4 engine being some ultra complicated and hard to work on power plant unless you're a NASA engineer! I do this Rolling Eyes every time someone posts that dramatic BS about type 4 engines.

Again, well done! Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Bravo
Applause
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Hey, nice job getting her done in a timely manner! Also kudos for not buying into the forum, internet BS of the type 4 engine being some ultra complicated and hard to work on power plant unless you're a NASA engineer! I do this Rolling Eyes every time someone posts that dramatic BS about type 4 engines.

Again, well done! Very Happy

Well done, but I predict failure within the next 200,000 miles.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 50% leakage on #3 a month before my trip Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm not quite out of the woods yet. I've spent most of the day troubleshooting various things.

Alt and egr light wouldn't go out -I forgot to hook up my big red that came from the engine bay on the starter.

Rough idle/running a little rough- Better but not quite fixed. Valve adjustment, timed at 28 degrees @ 3500 rpm hose off and plugged, set idle. Vacuum is still only 13 so that's what I'm looking at.

Fuel Guage not working- haven't gotten to that yet.

Just noticed an oil leak, but from the valve cover 3/4 side. I will monitor.

VW Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: