Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Ray,

Date of manufacture was 9/72.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Yep....it was highly possible at that early of a build date in the 1973 model year that the original calipers still had pins in them and they were removed when one or more broke off while servicing the calipers somewhere in their life. Its most probable that the newer "hollow" piston...is the odd man out that replaced one of the other pistons.

Typically when you see the solid piston with the dimple in the middle of the piston on the outer face like three of yours are....those are the same piston casting as the ones that had the little clutch mechanism in them for the pins.

They were used for a little while in the transition period...with or without clutch/gripper installed....in some of the newer calipers without pins installed.....because the newer rotors did not have the flexing issue so the pins were not needed.

The later pistons....are the same length, diameter etc....but had a hollow center.

Also....the pistons from early calipers...up to August of 1972...which is also the late type 3 caliper.....used the same piston diameter.....but typically the rim on the piston where the outer boot fits used a different boot. All of those had pins.

So what marks your pistons as "oddly transitional"....is that they have the little clutch mechanism in the back of the piston for the pin....and this is why they have teh dimple on the outside....but...they are machined with the outer edge to take the late caliper boot. This is why the rim of all four of your pistons matches and fits the same outer boot.

So I would say you have calipers made in this odd transitional period of time.

Ray

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Ray,

It almost makes we want to set these aside as a museum piece and just buy a new set of calipers. I don't care for things that are mixed and matched like that. Apparently some where in this 412's young life, ( before it came into our family ) the calipers were worked on. Did not ever know this. The other discovery I made a couple of weeks ago, the rear hatch had been replaced due to a hi hit rear ender. The hatch lift door is Texas Yellow! They did a good job of respraying with Maya Gold. I was polishing the paint and the yellow revealed itself. Now I am sure the VW dealer did this because we bought it from them. Avalon Auto Sales it was known had an iffy reputation... but as a kid I loved going there and and looking at all the new 60's and 70's coming in. Ah...the memories!

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray,

It almost makes we want to set these aside as a museum piece and just buy a new set of calipers. I don't care for things that are mixed and matched like that. Apparently some where in this 412's young life, ( before it came into our family ) the calipers were worked on. Did not ever know this. The other discovery I made a couple of weeks ago, the rear hatch had been replaced due to a hi hit rear ender. The hatch lift door is Texas Yellow! They did a good job of respraying with Maya Gold. I was polishing the paint and the yellow revealed itself. Now I am sure the VW dealer did this because we bought it from them. Avalon Auto Sales it was known had an iffy reputation... but as a kid I loved going there and and looking at all the new 60's and 70's coming in. Ah...the memories!

Bill

Hang on to the caliper cores. They are gold. You can get all new pistons.

And...there will be "possible" issues with buying "NEW" calipers. The only NEW ones I know of will be Centric. They should be new but it slightly possible they will be high quality remanufactured.

Brand new casting parts from Centric are excellent quality. However, they will likely no longer use the same rebuild kit. That may be an issue years down the line.

There are only one set of remanufactured calipers I trust and that is from PMB performance.

They will rebuild YOUR cores....so they will either have to order or provide pistons or you will need complete cores.

They are superb! Complete factory level rebuild with quality parts and ALL seals...and they are re-plated. And they will set you back $349 a pair.

https://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/Late_914_Front.html

Or...you can rebuild yours.

All fo that said...Rockauto has rebuilds by Centric. They say they are remanufactured. They should be god quality....but who knows whether the piston and seal is factory size....but I bet it is....because when I order seal kits bagged as Centric....they are FAG.

These are $111 each. Not bad. BUT...they have a $65 core charge....which personally I would not give them the cores. That brings their cost up to the same cost as PMB Wink

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,1973,9...liper,1704

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Ray,

So are you saying I can get pistons? I really would like to replace all 4 so they all match. If they are available I have no problem going that route.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray,

So are you saying I can get pistons? I really would like to replace all 4 so they all match. If they are available I have no problem going that route.

Bill

Scroll back in this thread a bit at the bottom of page 1 and you can see my review of these. Rockauto lists them at $12.34 each. You may put them in your cart and find out they are out of stock. But leave a note to contact you when they get in stock and they will.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...iston,1724

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4559040&cc=1280124&jsn=847

These are centric part # 146.42001

They are decently made. They are also typically about twice that cost each so I would get those while you can. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Thanks Ray!

Bill
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Are the piston identical between early type3 (1969 ) and late models like 73 ? Rockauto does list two different part numbers. I was thinking they were the same. Am i wrong?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Are the piston identical between early type3 (1969 ) and late models like 73 ? Rockauto does list two different part numbers. I was thinking they were the same. Am i wrong?

No. they are not the same.

The type 4 vehicles (411, 412 and 914 Porsche) used one caliper and rotor combination from 1968 UP TO August of 1972 (which is the beginning of the 1973 model year).

This "early" type 4 caliper and rotor combination....IS....the same as that used on type 3 from about 1968 up to the end of its production in 1973.

That is this piston:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,196...iston,1724

It is centric part # 146.42004.

Then all of the 1973 and later 412 cars and 1973 and later Porsche 914...used a wider caliper with a different rotor.

Ray
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:

No. they are not the same.

The type 4 vehicles (411, 412 and 914 Porsche) used one caliper and rotor combination from 1968 UP TO August of 1972 (which is the beginning of the 1973 model year).

This "early" type 4 caliper and rotor combination....IS....the same as that used on type 3 from about 1968 up to the end of its production in 1973.

That is this piston:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,196...iston,1724

It is centric part # 146.42004.

Then all of the 1973 and later 412 cars and 1973 and later Porsche 914...used a wider caliper with a different rotor.

Ray

ok , thanks for verifying . Than I have to wait for my order
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I believe the Type 3 changed over somewhere in the middle of the '71 model year, April maybe?

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

I believe the Type 3 changed over somewhere in the middle of the '71 model year.

Yep.....I was not sure of the changeover date in type 3.

In fact I think it was Tram that noted a year or so back that type 3's actually used three different calipers over their run. I "think" he noted that there was an early European single pin, then the faliper that was more similar to what was used on beetle and ghia.....and lastly the early type 3 caliper.

Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

My car doesn't help matters... it's an early '71 but has the later front axle, including the later disc brake setup, following an accident some 30 years ago!
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

mr Ray,I just got an email from rockauto today that they have Raybestos cylinder for my late type 3.
I know you suggested Centric,but it is still out of stock.
Any toughts about Raybestos as an solution?
Thanks in advance
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

batoni wrote:
mr Ray,I just got an email from rockauto today that they have Raybestos cylinder for my late type 3.
I know you suggested Centric,but it is still out of stock.
Any toughts about Raybestos as an solution?
Thanks in advance

I have never used Raybesto's replacement pistons...but Raybesto's is a long time, generally high quality brake part manufacturer.

While they have their own issues with made all over he world parts like anyone else these days....as simple as these pistons are I can't see them being a problem. Ray
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

thank you mr Ray,you are,as always,so kind
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Hi Ray

Can you tell me if the between-caliper halves o-rings are the same size for the both the early and later calipers?

Thank you.

Dave
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 and 4 front caliper rebuild "how-to" part 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:
Hi Ray

Can you tell me if the between-caliper halves o-rings are the same size for the both the early and later calipers?

Thank you.

Dave

I am pretty sure they are. You can probably buy them from PMB performance either alone or in a kit for your calipers.

Here are the kits for early 914. Same exact caliper as early 411. You can see the small seals in the picture.

https://pmbperformance.com/products/front-caliper-...&_ss=r

Each kit does one caliper so you need 2. They are ~$24 each kit.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: