Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Relay Wiring
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

First off, lets forgo the whole "bandaid" discussion.

To this point I have:

Two new batteries.
New ground straps at tranny and batteries.
New starter
New battery cable to starter.

I suspect the 50 year old ignition switch, that's next.

As far as the install, I am here:

Terminal 30 to battery power.
Terminal 86 to ground
Terminal 87 to terminal 50 on starter.

QUESTION: What do I do with the wire that was on terminal 50? Cap and leave in place?

Terminal 86 attaches to the red and black wire from the ignition switch.

Question: There is a red wire that shares the terminal with the red/black wire.
What do I do with this wire? Cap and leave in place?

Here are some photos. You can see the new wire from the relay landed on Terminal 50. You can also see the wire that was removed. What do I do with that wire.

You can also see the red/black wire and the red wire that share a terminal. If I join the blue wire (85) to the red black wire, what do I do with the remaining red wire.

I'm working post concussion and sometimes even the obvious doesn't make sense. I'd like to be up and running once I can drive again.

Thanks all,

dgsaz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
QUESTION: What do I do with the wire that was on terminal 50? Cap and leave in place?

The wire from the harness that went to terminal 50 on the starter solenoid now goes to the starter relay.
This activates the starter relay when you turn the key.

This is 12v but maybe this diagram helps?
The original ignition wire from the harness goes to terminal 85 in this diagram:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

You are absolutely sure there's no possible way that funky looking dirty terminal could possibly have anything at all to do with this symptom do you?, if any of the others as well as the both ends of the battery cables and the trans ground look similar a few minutes cleaning them may be time well spent Wink

Here's another diagram:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Quote:

The wire from the harness that went to terminal 50 on the starter solenoid now goes to the starter relay.
This activates the starter relay when you turn the key.

This is 12v but maybe this diagram helps?
The original ignition wire from the harness goes to terminal 85 in this diagram:

Use the diagrams as a guide. It doesn't matter if terminal 85 or 86 is used as a ground, as long as one of them is connected to the wire from the ignition switch--the spade connector that was on terminal 50 of the solenoid--and the other is a ground. Those are the two connections that make the relay "click," or switch.

The wire on the relay from terminal 30 connects to terminal 30 (the lug) on the solenoid. The black ring connector wire and the red/black and red wires that share a ring connector remain connected to the solenoid lug of terminal 30.

The wire from terminal 87 of the relay connects to terminal 50 of the solenoid.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

Thanks for the well written explanations. I think I have it now.

Here's how I see this:

The red wire from Terminal 50 attaches to terminal 87 from the relay.

The red red/black wire that was on terminal 30 is reattached.

30 to 30

86 to ground

Thanks again for the help, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

dgsaz
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Thanks for the well written explanations. I think I have it now.

Here's how I see this:

The red wire from Terminal 50 attaches to terminal 87 from the relay.

The red red/black wire that was on terminal 30 is reattached.

30 to 30

86 to ground

Thanks again for the help, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

dgsaz

A big no no is to mount the relay in an unprotected location, like under the vehicle. Please mount it in the engine compartment with the terminals pointing down. Or your next post will be about how your bus drove away on the starter motor one night after you drove in the rain....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

Thanks again for the information. I placed the relay in the engine compartment away from too much heat, etc.

I spent most of the day in the hospital getting CT Scan, blood work, CAT Scan and other fun tests. Fortunately there was no visible dane bramage.

The vertigo will go away, someday, we hope. Yesterday was a trip. Evertime I laid down on the creeper, I had to stop and watch the garage spin around. Getting off the creeper was even better (worse).

If anyone watched me work they might have said, "that guy seams awfully drunk to be working on a bus in the middle of the day". I was hanging on to everything to keep from falling down. Good times.

Hope that explains why I'm so slow on the uptake.

dgsaz
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

While it's true that you can wire the relay coil either way, it's considered proper to wire terminal 85 as ground and 86 as +12 volts. Some versions of this relay come with a back-emf diode wired across the coil, and if you wire it up the other way, you'll destroy the diode (at a minimum). The Germans are pretty consistent with their terminal numbering methodology.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

Finished up today. Put in the key and it fired up like a turbo jet.

No clicks, hesitation, nothing but start.

Thanks again for the help.

dgsaz
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

Is your bus 6 or 12 volt??
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Relay Wiring Reply with quote

12 volt, converted from 6.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: