Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Nice post. I was kinda chuckling as you described the no idle issue with the bus after pulling in to the campout. If there was EVER a good time to have an unknown issue with a engine, there was a good spot to have it. Quite a few good VW techs were enjoying the festivities there. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Nice post. I was kinda chuckling as you described the no idle issue with the bus after pulling in to the campout. If there was EVER a good time to have an unknown issue with a engine, there was a good spot to have it. Quite a few good VW techs were enjoying the festivities there. Wink

Yeah, that was why I pushed on instead of stopping to take a look at it myself. I figured the closer I got to Maupin, the closer I got to someone being able to bail me out, if necessary.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Radio install and other updates. Reply with quote

I've been saying this for years, but I really do need to get better at documenting things here...

So what have I been working on since Maupin? Let's go in reverse order. Yesterday, I installed the Retrosound Long Beach radio into the bus. Virtually the whole time I've had the bus, I've been driving without a big hole in the dash:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The final straw was missing out on some important construction notifications (tune to AM 1630) while going over Snoqualmie pass a bunch this summer. Prior to that, I simply had a Sony SRS-XB30 Bluetooth speaker propped up on the dash. It was fine, but nowhere as good as a radio with the stock speaker. Speaking of which, my 5.25" speaker was still there, but it had been replaced at some point with some unknown brand of Japanese origin. It didn't have the mounting bracket, but I had known that and sources one from Ken @ The Bus Company a year or more ago.

The install took a few hours to complete, most of if was pretty quick, but I fretted over wire routing and fabricating up appropriate color wiring connectors. I'm still not happy with the wiring layout, but I'm not happy with the stock wiring layout so I decided to wait to improve things until an unspecified later date when I'll clean up the entirety of the under-dash wiring. Regardless, here it is installed and sounding great:

As you can imagine, with a 5.25" speaker, the low end sound is barely there. I'll suffer through that for the time being. I have the fantasy of fabbing up a Westy stool lookalike with an integrated subwoofer, but that's pretty far down the priority list.

If I had any criticism of the radio it's that it comes with a lot of extra wiring that I don't need at the moment and would have like to been able to disconnect so that my under dash area isn't jam back with lots of loose wiring. I don't need all the connectors for the Sirius XM, 2 USB inputs, 2 aux inputs, pre-amp, etc. Being able to mix and match those components as required would be nice instead of putting them all in a single, permanently connected wiring loom.

Prior to the radio install and ongoing now is a battle with squealing from my right front brakes. On my IAC day, we replaced pads and inserted the missing shims. Unfortunately, we didn't get the piston fully rotated into the correct position because the piston ending up crushing one of the tabs after a day or so of use. It's never been the same since and I've been trying to amend the situation on and off for a while. I think I'm just going to have to replace the affected shim.

The other big job I've done was to replace the center pin in my steering system. Not a hard job, but since my hopped up and down any time I steered anywhere, it needed to be done. The bad pin was also responsible for the hollow clunking sound I'd get 4x4-ng driving around Seattle neighborhood streets.

Lastly, I did weld in the brackets for my BA6, but while the duct alignment before was good, the alignment after was not. Another issue is clearance between the rear of the heater and the rear duct from the heat exchangers. I might need to reexamine whether this is a worthwhile adventure if too much modification is necessary to make it fit. I did pick up a used BN4 at the Vintage VW Weekend for $40 so maybe that's a better solution, certainly it would be more correct for my model year.

Anyway, hope all is great with everyone.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Yessss I love my Retrosound too! I chopped off one USB, one six input, and all the speaker out cables on mine, (external amp.) PLEASE post your westy stool subwoofer if you get around to making it... JBL makes a few smal subwoofers that are plenty for a bus (I have the five inch model) and they come with and without premade cabinets.

Do you have a good line on the brake shins? Rock Auto sells them without the tab cutouts, but if you can find good new ones, let me know!

And uhhh, your bus seems to be playing some of my music, huh? I hope you’re streaming that on Spotify so I get my $.00028 royalty check!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Yessss I love my Retrosound too! I chopped off one USB, one six input, and all the speaker out cables on mine, (external amp.)

I may do that down the line, but in case there's an issue with the radio, I want to let the warranty expire first.

Quote:
PLEASE post your westy stool subwoofer if you get around to making it... JBL makes a few smal subwoofers that are plenty for a bus (I have the five inch model) and they come with and without premade cabinets.

Plan on doing so. My goal is to replicate the look of a Westy stool without deviating from the base design too much, although I have thought about integrating some good cupholders as well.

Quote:
Do you have a good line on the brake shins? Rock Auto sells them without the tab cutouts, but if you can find good new ones, let me know!

Not beyond what you can get from the misnomered ones you can from Bus Depot or other suppliers. There was a guy a couple years ago that made some stainless steel ones and listed them in the classifieds, but I haven't seen them pop up in a long time. I gave Zelten my set, but I don't think he has installed them yet.

Quote:
And uhhh, your bus seems to be playing some of my music, huh? I hope you’re streaming that on Spotify so I get my $.00028 royalty check!

Unlucky you. That would be Robbie Earl and Robbie Mustoe of the 2 Robbies Podcast. I was checking out my Bluetooth functionality at the time.

Robbie[/quote]

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Ah, good call on the warranty. I broke one of the knob switch electronic parts on my first instal, and they sent me a new one and wouldn't let me pay for it. I like those guys. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

If you can find the brembo brand pad replacements, they come with new shims.

You could also just bend the tab back

Or buy the new ones for like $40 a pair

Or I have an extra OE one in my toolbox Razz

As for noise, put brake grease (silicon based) on the back of the pads, THICK, but not to the point of dripping off when hot. Coat both sides of the shins, the edge of the piston, and the back of the pad. Almost completely silences brakes squeal, even in reverse (common issue)

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Or buy the new ones for like $40 a pair

The Bus Depot link I provide above shows them for $12 each.

Quote:
Or I have an extra OE one in my toolbox Razz

Yes please. Thanks for offering. Razz

Quote:
As for noise, put brake grease (silicon based) on the back of the pads, THICK, but not to the point of dripping off when hot. Coat both sides of the shins, the edge of the piston, and the back of the pad. Almost completely silences brakes squeal, even in reverse (common issue)

I tried several different applications of Sil Glide as a quick and dirty solution to quiet the squeal, from initially dry to a minimal amount to more or less what you described. No luck so far. My current working theory is that the crush of the tab distorted the shim just enough to where is doesn't sit quite flush between the piston and rotor in between braking actions, giving it just enough room to squeal while driving. Don't think I said this above, but there's no squeal during braking.

Part of my diagnostic path was to lightly file the contact surface of the piston, swap the sides the pads were on, and chamfer the leading edges of the pads. All to no avail. Plan for this week is to individually pull the shims and verify which shim is causing the issue. I could also swap shims from side to side and see if the problem follows the shims, but pulling from one side only will accomplish the same task. If it is indeed the inner one, I have a spare one to insert, just need to bend the tabs to the opposite site.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

This sounds like your steering wheel being about 180* off...your making it very complicated. Keep it simple as you can! Wink you’ll figure it out!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
This sounds like your steering wheel being about 180* off...your making it very complicated. Keep it simple as you can! Wink you’ll figure it out!

I'm going for Root Cause Analysis as opposed to Shortest Route to a Solution. Let the engineer do his thing. Razz

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Suspension, steering, and sealing updates. Reply with quote

Time for an update as I've finished a big batch of work on the bus focused, mainly, on the front suspension and steering. A lot of the worn out components have now been replaced: ball joints previously, tie rod ends, drag link, sway bar upgraded to a 7/8" bar, rebuilt steering box (eliminates the pesky clunk), and so on:

Having attempted to use the typical sway bar clamps widely available, but intended for the Brazilian buses, I was happy to find those black sway bar clamps from CIP1. The metal is workable in a way the others are not. I was able to get the shape more or less correct by forming the clamp over the top of the installed, existing clamps. I did this by first clamping along the top of the clamp then clamping a second clamp along either side. I should have taken photos, but the main idea was to deform the clamp curvature with the top of the new clamp fixed in place. Worked like a charm. I had the new sway and clamps secured in about 5 minutes.

I also pulled my passenger side door to replace the seal. I know they can be replaced without removing the door, but my door needed better alignment anyway and I wanted to get as much residue off the sheet metal as possible, a job that's better done off the vehicle:

The new seal was one of the German made ones, same as all the shops have with the formed corners and transition sections glued to another. Doesn't look too pretty, but whatever, it does the job well and my door now closes with cleaner lines to the rest of the body. As is usual though, the seal is pretty "poofy" so my door latch is quite stiff to release. That should improve over time as the seal takes on a set.

Be nice to each other.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

This tie rod end on the drag link? How many threads are in the tube? It "looks" kinda scary with so many threads showing. Usually half the threaded part is in the link that it screws into.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

I didn't explicitly measure, but going off memory, there's about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in the tube portion. It caught my attention too, but felt quite stable so I drive it gingerly until I gained some confidence with it. Turns out, the Febi drag link is shorter that the original VW one in the tube portion. Here's some side by side pics of my old one alongside the new unit.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Essen Trailer Canopy Reply with quote

For the past few weeks, I've been working on getting a canopy made for my Essen trailer. I had secured a canopy and frame from notchboy last fall sometime, but the stitching in the canopy had been pulled so each piece of the canopy was separate from the others. I took that to Seattle Tarp Co. in Tukwila with the idea that they could stitch it back together. Not so much so they fabricated a new one for me and it's quite a beauty.

There is some slack in the sides near the rear flap, but the shop was unsure how to secure things with the bungee so I'm not worried about that. I'll also leave it outside for a week or so to subject it the varying weather conditions, the heating and cooling over the course of the day should settle the lay of the tarp material (28 oz tarp material matches the original well, btw). Very happy! Razz

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
I didn't explicitly measure, but going off memory, there's about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in the tube portion. It caught my attention too, but felt quite stable so I drive it gingerly until I gained some confidence with it. Turns out, the Febi drag link is shorter that the original VW one in the tube portion. Here's some side by side pics of my old one alongside the new unit.

IDK, even at an inch or inch and a half, that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Just suggesting it may be worth the time to source the correct length drag link while making sure all the other linkages are adjusted correctly including the pitman arm is correct.

I bought a Febi drag link for my 70'. I laid them on the ground side by side and the length was exactly the same.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Drag link mismatch. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
IDK, even at an inch or inch and a half, that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Just suggesting it may be worth the time to source the correct length drag link while making sure all the other linkages are adjusted correctly including the pitman arm is correct.

I bought a Febi drag link for my 70'. I laid them on the ground side by side and the length was exactly the same.

Fair suggestion. I'll do some further investigating. I have to travel for about a week, but when I get back, I'll pull the link and see how deep it threads into the body of the link. Also look to see if I can get some hands on parts locally to compare.

Your comment did make me wonder if I had somehow ordered an early bay drag link - dunno if they are that different - but in checking the website and my e-mail, bill of materials, etc. all are self consistent with it being the correct part...not to say that Febi didn't take some liberties with the design.
There is also a Meyle version of the drag link, but I can't tell from the photos if the construction is all that different. It's a little more expensive though.

Ah, the joys of non-stock parts nonsense.

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

I have total respect for you Bill. You know how much I appreciate the excellent job you did with your bus, and the advice you gave me in the past.

Without regard to originality, I'm assuming your concern is safety?

I asked myself, "well how many turns is it threaded in? and is that strong enough?"

I guess my instinct is that after a certain threshold, more threads add little to safety/strength of the connection. I am not saying this is safe enough. Ronin seems like he saw it and has been gentle to start. Maybe VW speced their design with a large range of adjustment that is never used?

I don't know, and certainly am not trying to start any heated debate. The difference IS significant enough that I would at least try to confirm it's supposed to be the right part.

I'm curious about your door rubber since I have to do mine soon. I can't tell for sure if you liked it.

My 1968 Campmobile
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
I'm curious about your door rubber since I have to do mine soon. I can't tell for sure if you liked it.

I'm happy enough with it. The typical problem of the seal being too thick is tedious to deal with. I've heard other says it'll compress down and take on a set in the correct position over the course of a year or so; I'm hoping that's the case for me. Unless I position the door so that it's not flush with the rest of the body, I have to push the door inward a bit to get the latch to release using the outside trigger in the door handle. The interior lever opens the door fine, but it does really spring away from the body.

I'm back in town now, but haven't pulled the drag link yet. I'm chasing down a higher priority electrical issue that emerged during my trip: turn signal and hazard switch are popping the fuses 12 and 8 respectively, also turning my alternator light on and running down the battery so that I can't start it.
Annoying.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:

Without regard to originality, I'm assuming your concern is safety?

I asked myself, "well how many turns is it threaded in? and is that strong enough?"

I did auto alignments for a few years after school. My boss, mentor and 40 year veteran frame and alignment expert discussed this subject with me as he mentored me. We had a car come in one time. Someone badly adjusted both tie rods when they installed them at home to save a few bucks. One of the tie rods was only screwed in about an about a half an inch to the tie rod tube. My boss was horrified. He'd seen accidents where novice home mechanics did this and they pulled out causing accidents.

My intent was only to point this out to Ronin as a suggestion to double verify enough of the threaded portion was screwed into the tube. My moto is "help each other be right, not wrong". Wink

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

So any updates? Why you such a hermit now. We need updates. Not letting you get off this easy Wink I’m busting his balls because he’s a fantastic person. Miss him and his family at the local events. Your old girl has been well takin care of.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: