Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

I've been off the Samba for awhile and missed your trip to Vancouver Island report. I'll have to pick your brain about it because that's a trip I've been wanting to take for awhile now.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
I've been off the Samba for awhile and missed your trip to Vancouver Island report. I'll have to pick your brain about it because that's a trip I've been wanting to take for awhile now.

It's a great, low cost road trip, especially if you don't mind the rain and go in the shoulder season. After Labor Day, the campgrounds and parks are virtually empty.

Let's talk at the next GSBG meetup (next Fri it seems). I'll give you a bit more detail than what was recorded here.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Lot of progress over the weekend simply from having my bus back in time for an Itinerant Air Cooled day with Amskeptic.

I got my bus back from the body shop on Friday afternoon after getting a nose replacement. The work seems well done though there are a few flaws to be addressed when it is ready for final paint. It went from this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to this:

and now looks like this:

The rest of the body work will continue over the next year or two and then one final spray of the whole thing, inside and out.

Excited to have my bus back, I tackled a few quickie projects on Saturday afternoon. Installed a new dash cluster I got from notchboy with the KPH speedo and trip meter as well as the dash clock I picked up last summer.

I also replaced my front turn signal lenses and headlight trim rings. It really brighten things up on the front end. My turn signal switch was also in much need of replacement so I swapped in a new SWF one as well.

Then Sunday came and Amskeptic arrived for our IAC appointment. The usual cup of coffee and discussions of current events were obliged and then we got to work tackling a few issues: a nuisance oil leak that had appeared right before putting the bus into the body shop, getting the auxiliary battery working, and verifying the function of the refrigerator.

In the course of all this, we discussed the distressing state of my valve train.
After Colin took a keen look at the lack of adjustment range, pulled a lifter, we concluded that it's time for an engine rebuild. The camshaft and lifters have just about used up there service life. So that's the next money sink in the hobby we so love.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

So begins the engine rebuild effort. Mostly prep stuff at the moment though. I picked up this engine stand off of Craigslist for $50.

It's overkill for a bus engine, but I have worked with the "T" shaped bases before and even the modified "T" with the two wheels at the bottom of the T and don't favor them. This one I especially like because I have a hydraulic lifting table that I use to lower the engine out of the bus and after removing the transmission, I can lift the engine right onto the stand. Since so much of the work I do on the bus is unassisted, this is a big plus.

On the downside though, the diameter of the hole in the upright support has too large a diameter to fit my VW engine mount. I'll rig up the case to the mount that came with the stand see how it works. If that doesn't seem feasible, I'll see about sleeving the VW mount or otherwise modifying it.

In other news, I got a bunch of parts back from Northwest Connecting Rod.

The crankcase turned out to be in good order without any rework needed beyond tapping the oil galleries. My crankshaft was likewise good and needed only a polishing. The rods were rebuildable so Jerry at NWCR took them as cores and gave me a previously rebuilt set. The castings of my heads were in good order, but since they're AMC heads, the valve guides were trash. I also had slightly burned exhaust valves. So the heads got new, more robust valve guides and the exhaust valves were replaced with Stainless Steel valves. The only outstanding machine work left is to have my flywheel resurfaced and then get the rotating assembly balanced.

So all in all, I'm out $750 for machine shop work. I spent another $300 for a new LuK pressure plate/clutch/throwout bearing kit, cam bearings, flywheel bolts, and numerous small engine bits. Fortunately that was covered by selling a set of IDFs in the classifieds. And then beyond that another $40 is build materials: plastigauge, assembly lube, threadlock, etc.

All together that adds up to $1140 so far if you include the engine stand. I still have to get new pistons and cylinders, main and rod bearings, pay for the engine balance and...I'm sure there's something else I'm overlooking. Anyway, I'm looking at about $2k or so to complete the basic engine.

That's a good update for now. Be well and do good.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Soooo, you putting in a Web Cam 110 in that Wink Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Nope. Nope. Nope. Going bone stock on this engine.

Got a Webcam 142. It's the stock cam for the Type 4 engine, albeit the Porsche variant.

Last edited by RONIN10 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Good to hear. You doing an early exhaust?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I'm officially undecided at this point. I have a single 72-74 heat exchanger (don't recall which side) that is in restorable condition. If I went that route, I'd love to get this:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/csp-py...3874b.html

Despite being ridiculously expensive, it only works for trapezoidal flanges.

The likely solution is that I'd reuse my existing 76-78 system which is generally in good order with maybe a muffler replacement. That decision is yet to be made.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

I'm stuck waiting on for parts to arrive later this week so I can get my rotating assembly balanced, but in the meantime, I'm getting other components ready to go. Namely, I powder coated my fan. I'm really happy with how it turned out:

My only concern with the fan is that one of the fan blades is noticeably bent and won't balance.

I did find an anomaly with the engine case, one that I had forgotten about from when this case was running in Greta, my old bus: the drain plug had been poorly oversized to a 16 mm plug which it now only stays in by a few threads. It can be fixed - for a price - but according to Jerry @ NWCN the oversized insert is 16 mm itself so we may have to weld in some filler, redrill and retap it back to original. More news next week.

I did also pick up my pistons and cylinders for $460 from Auto Sport International in SeaTac. They're stock Mahle 94 mm pistons with the correct, dished top. So other than sourcing an oil pump and cooler, all the components of my basic engine will be in place by this week's end. After that, it's back NWCN for balancing next week, assembly to start the week after.

My running cost now is $1140 (previous) + $460 (P&Cs) + $50 (powder) = $1650.

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I'm officially undecided at this point. I have a single 72-74 heat exchanger (don't recall which side) that is in restorable condition. If I went that route, I'd love to get this:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/csp-py...3874b.html

Despite being ridiculously expensive, it only works for trapezoidal flanges.

The likely solution is that I'd reuse my existing 76-78 system which is generally in good order with maybe a muffler replacement. That decision is yet to be made.

That SS exhaust I showed you was on sale for $125.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
That SS exhaust I showed you was on sale for $125.

Remind me where you got that?

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Did you take apart the fan to powder coat it?
(sold - but not forgotten)
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Was wondering the same thing Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

If he didnt thats some impressive powder coating. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Did you take apart the fan to powder coat it?

I did. Notched it to put it back together the same way, but that's probably unnecessary since it goes in with the rest of the rotating assembly for balance.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Let us know how difficult it is to balance. Pray
(sold - but not forgotten)
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

So I've been blasting and powder coating engine tins like a madman this past past week. I haven't taken any pictures yet because I have a few tins to replace as well and I'll have to paint the upper front-of-the-engine tin by hand as it's too big for my oven. Once everything is painted, I'll mock it up on the engine and snap a photo.

I've also been looking into getting my 70 amp alternator rebuilt. I poached my current one from The Lump and while it works, it is due for some love. Bleyseng recommended a rebuilder in the area, but I haven't been able to get them to return my call in a couple tries. I'll try once more, but then that's their third strike and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Still on the alternator front, I did find a source for remanufactured 70 amp alternators. I've never heard of this vendor, but given the price, it wouldn't be a bad investment to pick one up and use while the other is rebuilt with known bearings and other internals and then have this one as a spare. eBay ads are listing them for over $400!

My distributor drive gear was a little chewed up so I was hunting around to see what the quality of the replacements were out there. Most of the VW sites had them, but didn't specify the manufacturer or if they did it was Euromax and all of them ran for about $40 or so. Turns out Pelican Parts carries a genuine Porsche distributor drive gear, but it'll set you back $93. Shocked

Engine goes in for balancing this afternoon. Yay!

I partially built up my cylinder heads last night, but a couple of my rocker shafts are in pretty bad shape with deep scoring so if anyone has some laying around they want to offload, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll check with Ken @ The Bus Co.

I had a sad conversation with Ken this past weekend about how a lot of the old ACVW businesses in the area are on the verge of getting out due to age and decreased business:
    * Northwest Connecting Rod (Kent) - Jerry wants to retire within 3 years, but doesn't have anyone to sell the business off to. I heard this from him directly.
    * Autovice/Bow Wow (Lynnwood) - Ken says this has been shrinking for years. I saw a bit of that when I worked up in South Everett and could pick up parts from them on my lunch break.
    * Ken himself is no spring chicken, though he never made mention of getting out
    * Likewise, Paula at Auto Sport Imports (SeaTac) is getting up there in years as well, she has a younger front counter guy (her son?) that has been there for years which gives me hope.

Of course, this is a reality for vehicles that are no longer manufactured. Jerry is the one that concerns me most.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

I'll have to paint the upper front-of-the-engine tin by hand as it's too big for my oven.
Pop the Oven door open and box it in with some sheet metal.
Good luck
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Re: rocker shafts:

Are you going for hydraulic or solid lifters? If you're going for solid lifters, consider the Porsche swivel feet adjusters. You'll need the early T4 8mm rocker arms, which were limited in production. The Parts Place in Detroit has a set for sale, which I parted off a bus last year and told them not to get rid of. If you buy those rockers, and Porsche swivel feet adjusters from aircooled.net, you'll be set for life. If you're going hydraulic, disregard this message. Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Are you going for hydraulic or solid lifters?

Solid.

Quote:
If you're going for solid lifters, consider the Porsche swivel feet adjusters.

Want to and thought long and hard about doing this, but not yet. I already had new, genuine VW adjusters on hand and was able to get good rocker shafts from NWCR and only have one rocker assembly of 8mm rockers so I'll run the standard adjusters in the interim, get myself going down the road, and then source the parts for swivel foot adjusters as I go forward.

Quote:
Pop the Oven door open and box it in with some sheet metal.

Good idea. I'll see if I can rig that once I source some sheet metal.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: