Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

Hello,
Last year I rebuild the engine of Buddy (VW Westfalia 74). I order the big bore cylinder, (96mm) from AA piston. When I remove the engine, I realise that's a CB (72) so I need to open more the head for the new cylinder. I also ordered a new camshaft (SCAT C25) and bearing for the engine.
I also change the Empi 32/36 progressive carburetor for a Dual Weber 40mm IDF.
Now I have a problem, when it's on idle, sometimes it goes to 2500rpm alone and I can't adjust it. Normaly it's a vacuum leak but I look and I didn't found it.
Maybe de duration of my cam is too big? 238 at 0.050
The valve on the head are a little bit smaller then the 1800 because it was a 1700 originaly. I have 39.3mm Intake and 33mm exhaust.

What could I do?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

check the brake booster. check your linkage.
Som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check the brake booster. check your linkage.

I check it with accetylen, all is good. I have no power under 2500rpm. I take it to a garage and the guy's told me the camshaft isn't at the right position, I measure it and all is good, Lobe Center at 108, right on the spot.
The valve gap are at 0,004 but in the Bentley for this type of head is 0,006 for intake and 0,008 for exhaust. I think I will try it, what do you think?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

my opinion is too much cam and too much carb for a street car, especially a bus.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
my opinion is too much cam and too much carb for a street car, especially a bus.

Agree that 238° @0.050" is a lot of duration for this kind of engine. You might be able to make it work but most 'performance' type camshafts for a bus will be ~ 20° less than that. Stock cams ~ 30° less.

The combo of your engine is unknown to me and weird. Large bore, small valves, big camshaft, too much carburetion probably, who knows what the compression ratio is since you've opened up the heads for 96mm P&C (did you measure and set CR?) What is the exhaust on the engine? What size are the venturis in the carbs?

With non-stock parts lots of engine combos are possible but there is a lot of planning, finesse, experience and experimentation needed to come up with something that will work reliably and predictably.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

I have never run a C25, but have read up on others that have. I never got the impression that the C25 was a “big cam”. As mentioned, it’s not so much the cam itself but the combination. The more you deviate from stock, the more time and figuring need to go into making it work.

I am running a 2l T4 with a Webcam 73, original 34mm Solex carbs, rebuilt mechanical/vac advance distributor, a crappy 4 in 1 EMPI exhaust with CR set to factory specs.

I would consider it overcammed, under-carbed, with valves on the small side. The stock carbs alone probably leave a lot of power on the bench. But it just runs so well…lots of oomph moving off and on hills. It has more top end than I have the nerve to use. It idles smoothly at 950 rpm. I set out to build a reliable stock plodder with a little extra to get out of the way. So far, so good.

Keep at it, I’m sure you can make it work.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

You think that IDF40s are too big for a street car? I’ve run them on several engines and currently have them on both my beetle and bus. Both vehicles drive well and get excellent fuel mileage.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

No power under 2,500 sounds about right for that cam in a small bus engine even if the CR is right. I had a C35 in a 2l type-1 engine but that had a crank that could rev. It was very powerful from 3500-6500rpm but under 3,000 it was a dog. You live and learn. I'd accidentally built a Beetle engine for a bus. lol

The valves aren't small IMO I have 1700 heads on my 2.4L with HEAVILY worked original seats, 42mm valves and a stock cam. OK revs are limited, but it's a heavy camper not a drag car. This engine was a reaction to the C35 one above. It might not have the max HP the 2L did, but at 1500rpm it has 50HP where the 2L probably had about 10. Rolling Eyes It's a joy to drive.

Best you can do I think is fit the smallest venturis you can find which would help the low end a little, but really... it's the cam. And maybe the CR.

As for the carbs, we have people in the UK fit 40's with 28 vents to their stock 1600's. I don't know why they would do that but they say they are happy.

There will be a way to get the best out of your engine, but like myself I think you're going to struggle at lower revs whatever you do. Might be best to bite the bullet and rebuild with a stock cam, it will be much nicer to drive.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
SGKent wrote:

You think that IDF40s are too big for a street car?

Whether the carburetion is too much has everything to do with venturi size. Especially with small valves if the venturis are too large the engine will be difficult to tune.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

Rich, it is all about the column of air that has to stop and reverse direction every time the intake valve opens and closes. A smaller venturi helps preserve the vacuum and gives the air column more speed at lower RPMS than a big venturi. It's the same principal of a kid on a swing. It is easier to push a kid already moving than to push a kid from a dead stop. A smaller mass is easier to push than a larger mass. Add to it that the longer duration camshaft needs a higher RPM to oscillate the air properly. The column can't exactly stop so it slams into the back of the intake valve and builds pressure before it reverses itself. If the valve opens at that point it can take advantage of that pressure. If the carb venturi is too wide then the air column moves to slowly to build pressure at low rpm.

Too many people are only interested in bragging rights. I've seen so many people boast about their engines only to see what dogs they are in real life compared to a well tuned engine. These are utility trucks that need torque, not top end RPM like a race car going thru the gears while holding a high RPM. We didn't give hoots about how well the race cars idled. They weren't driven at an idle. They didn't sit at stop lights.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

I put a scat25 in a stock ‘77 2L FI engine for my buddys bus. we have since been trying to find what we assumed was a vacuum leak cause it just wont tune at idle. But he just ran it on a 2 hour interstate run at 70-80mph. He said it just flys down the highway and even passed a few cars ( something I cant do).

wont use that cam again, but depending on what your after, works great. again, were FI, not carbed, so this is useless info.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

each single duration camshaft has an RPM range it works at. It is that simple. The long duration camshafts do not work at idle RPMS well regardless what anyone tells you.

To get around the problem Honda came up with an innovative solution in their engines in 1989, called the VTEC engine. Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control System

They mounted multiple lobes of different durations on a camshaft and engaged them using oil pressure and cogs at different RPMs. That way a docile cam duration lobe can be used at low RPM for idle to middle range RPM, then the torquer cam duration lobe comes in to pep it up at mid RPM's, then the semi-competition duration lobe kicks in to keep the engine strong at high RPMs. Best of all worlds. At the same time the plenum and intake runners are changing sizes to keep the air volume at the perfect velocity for the RPM to get the most air into the cylinders one can get at any RPM. More air and more fuel equal more power. We in the 1970's single cam engines are limited to the ONE cam duration that works best for how we want to drive our bus. If we want to fly down the freeway at 5,000 RPM passing people that is our choice but expect a poor idle. Or we can play nice around town and maybe a little better. I personally use the WEBCAM 142 because it runs really strong from idle to about 4500 RPM then it starts to slowly taper off. I can hit redline in 3rd gear and have easily had it up to 75 - 78 on the freeway but only when passing. I do not like pushing a 50 year pushrod engine like ours that hard. Today cars have 6, 8, 9, 10 speed transmissions so you can drive 90 mph at 2000 RPM. The MDX has a top speed capped at something like 132 mph on N.American models. I think the RL was 140 mph. Shit happens really fast at those speeds. The energy stored in the tires alone spinning that fast can almost cause brakes to glow, let alone adding the mass of the car.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The MDX has a top speed capped at something like 132 mph on N.American models. I

Shocked Now you’re just F’ing with richparker Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
How fast can a Acura RL go?
Answer provided by. If you're a speed freak, you won't find many luxury SUVs that can take off like the Acura RL. With either a 290-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 or a 300-hp, 3.0-liter V-6, the Acura RL has a top speed of 186 mph.

My belief is they capped the N. American RL at 140 MPH. The MDX is the same basic engine but 3.0L in some and 3.5L in others. Less aerodynamic but same weight. Honda put a lot of their F1 technology into their top cars. The same engine is in the NSX. It has a top speed of 190 MPH. My 2015 is a six speed trans, more reliable than the 9 speeds. The current MDX for 2022 is a 10 speed automatic plus the usual torque converter tricks in all cars now. Computers control shift points and TC lockup but one can override with the paddles.

Quote:
2015 MDX times:

0-20 mph (s):1.7 sec
0-30 mph (s):2.6 sec
0-40 mph (s):3.5 sec
0-50 mph (s):5.2 sec
0-60 mph (s):6.8 sec
0-70 mph (s):9.1 sec
0-80 mph (s):11.5 sec
0-90 mph (s):14.3 sec
0-100 mph (s):18.9 sec
0-110 mph (s):24.2 sec
0-120 mph (s):31.5 sec
0-130 mph (s):50.1 sec

I believe the later models like 2022 are capped at 112 but the earlier were not. NHTSA has problems with fast cars. The manufacturers do not. Gotta have the right tires though.

It's the VTEC engine. If one wants to go fast the computer chooses the correct cam lobe and plenum size for the RPM range. When I am cruising casually at 70 - 75 MPH on the interstate flat and level the TC is locked up and the engine is at about 1500 - 1600 RPM. When it senses no additional power is needed it starts shutting down the FI to un-needed cylinders too. If I punch it all the FI comes on, the plenum adjusts and the computer chooses the cam lobe that makes the most power at the RPM. I wouldn't want to work on one. It is a 300,000 mile engine.

When Abscate wants to go faster he rubs his comb thru his hair, and uses the static electricity to super charge his EV batteries. Smile
Som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

Thank's all for the comment, I have a CR of 7.8, I don't know if it's good with this Cam.
I'm new in the Aircooled family but I want to learn.
There is a way to run Buddy with this cam? maybe I will need to stay over 2500rpm, I have a cut-off rotor in the distributor of 4500rpm, I will not break the motor.
If I adjust the valve loose (0.006 intake and 0.008 exhaust) maybe it will help?
Also I need to change the venturi for 28, I didn't look inside the carb but I think it's easy to change?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

238° is less than a Web 142 (247/242°) which I ran a copy of for years. 96mm is long 7% larger than the 93mm pistons of an 1800, so there again not much change from stock. Maybe I am missing something, but I would think you should be able to make you combo work fairly well.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
SGKent wrote:
The MDX has a top speed capped at something like 132 mph on N.American models. I

No doubt!

No let’s get back to ACVWs…

C25:
.332” cam lift
.365” valve lift w/1.1 rockers
.415” valve lift w/1.25 rockers
234° of duration at .050”

I run a Berg 297A (also know as a Engle VZ25) in the 2109cc w/9:1 compression and IDF40s in my ‘65 beetle.

297A:
.429” cam lift
.470” valve lift (it’s designed for 1.1 rockers only)
286° of duration at .050”

Seems to me that the 297A is more radical then the C25 and it works very well with IDF40s with 28 venturis. Starts well, idles well, revs to the moon, gets 20 mpg and I drive it like I stole it.

A Engle 110 has more cam lift, valve lift and duration the a C25. I have a 110 in the 2275cc in my bus and most state thats the best overall cam. Seems to me that the C25 should work just fine in a bus engine.

I would also like to add that the C25 is designed for stock single port and dual port heads, works best from 7.5 - 8.1:1 compression, revs to 4000 and can be used with a single carb. Although dual carbs single or double will wake it up. It’s comparable to a Engle 100 and is a pretty mild cam.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Xevin wrote:
SGKent wrote:

No doubt!

No let’s get back to ACVWs…

thank you!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
238° is less than a Web 142 (247/242°) which I ran a copy of for years.

OP quoted his cam has 238° at 0.050". Web 00-142 is 210° at 0.050".
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild, idle problem from camshaft? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
238° is less than a Web 142 (247/242°) which I ran a copy of for years.

OP quoted his cam has 238° at 0.050". Web 00-142 is 210° at 0.050".

After reading the OPs post again, I see not that this is a T4 engine. 🤷‍♂️ Still, the T4 C25 is pretty mild and should work fine in a bus engine. There’s gotta be something wonky with the build, as he stated the shop told him.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: