Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I bought a camper today.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: I bought a camper today. Reply with quote

I found this camper - says built 12-74 so it's a 75 model year. It's solid and looks whole. Only rust is surface rust under a few of the windows from the seals leaking. That should scrape off. A few dents, and the laminates on the cabinets are peeling. The seats are whole, but tearing, and the dash looks good enough as it is.

It doesn't run, no batteries, and there is a missing section of the exhaust manifold. Here's some pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a shot of the rust:

Same rust under front window.

Peeling cabinets:

The interior:

Fuel injected motor:

Missing exhaust piece:

I've been dreaming about having a camper to get out of the desert heat, and I couldn't pass up this one. I think getting this back on the road will be a bit of work, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

It's been sitting since 2000. The tires are old, and look like car tires so they need to be replaced. The brakes work, so right now I'll focus on getting the engine running.

I'll get the manifold part - anyone in Mesa AZ got one? and drain the gas and replace all the fuel lines. Then buy a battery and see if it starts.

The guy wanted $500 for the camper, and the tow cost $90 so I'm hoping I can get it on the road for under $1500. It came with a stack of books and I'm sure you all can give me advice as I need it.

Terry

PS What size battery do I get and which side do I mount it on? There are two places to mount the battery, I assume I can get it running with just one battery for now?
Lostnfound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. She looks good. Look at all the stickies at the top of the page and check out Atwells site.
VWMIKE76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score on a helsinki layout! My dream bus!!! is that a collapsable spare tire or full size? the spare should fit in the bottom of the sink cabinet when the tire is collapsed
78 westy "Doc". in very good hands of a fellow samba member!
79 hardtop landmark "Shaggy II"
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that. The Helsinki Westfalia layouts are rare in the U.S. Don't discard any of the interior components!

Camper buses are so cool. Combines my loves of VWs, family, and camping, all in one neat package. If you are going to camp with more than 2 or 3 people, you might also start looking into getting a side tent, or at least a regular ground tent to keep you non-essentials in (fishing gear, tool kit, etc.) while you're there. Really helps alot...trust me on that.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c4l3b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWW.ratwell.com

that looks like quite a find. That interior is pretty cool too. I've got the same full width back seat and love it. Kind of wish I had that bench though.
www.aircooledmissouri.com
www.pulparchive.com

springfield, missouri

My Vehicles
1977 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little shabby. But for the price,NOT TOO SHABBY! Good find. Get it rollin and have fun.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You West Coast guys and your "Rust" Rolling Eyes . I'm always jealous of how dry your busses are, but then I see interior picts and I'm okay again!!

EXCELLENT score though for $500!! Applause
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenskis are off the wall, keep that layout!

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the new child..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice find. You should be able to find a used exhaust manifold without too much difficult. Although, there might be a reason somebody took it off. Take a good look at the exhaust studs, maybe one is damaged or pulled out of the head.

I think I spy a 70 Amp alternator? And the paint on the engine looks fresh, might not be that old of a rebuild. Amazingly you still have the flaps and thermostat and the engine seal looks new. You might just have a runner with a little work.

Oh, the battery goes on the passenger side. The driver side is for the "auxiliary" camper battery. Standard size for the start battery is Group 42 but almost anything will work.
jah_B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score, Congratulations!

I saw that hit Phoenix CL like two or three days ago. I thought the guy was NUTS selling it for $500. I'll tell my wife she argued herself out of a Helsinki. Sorry about that horrible AZ rust! Get a Bentley's if there isn't one in it. Get on Ratwell's site. Get some beers! Get to work! Start this week while its still under 105* Wink

42 Series battery. Goes on the passenger side. Sounds like it's set up for an accessory battery if you can't tell. Look for the relay/switch.

$90 tow from Mesa puts you local. Welcome to the Samba. Get a battery in it and lets see what you need to get going.

1972 tintop P30 CAMPMOBILE: M/T, 1.7L, dual kadrons, 019 diz. Sunny the S'kool Bus

You gotta know what you don't know. That's the key to wisdom. man.
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the ratwell site. I could and probably will spend hours in there. Thanks for the tip.

He said there was a fire in the engine which is why it was repainted. He said a pushrod tube was leaking and he replaced it and found a hole in the exhaust. His dad took the exhaust to weld it and he never got it back.

I bet I can find the exhaust part locally. Blair might have it.

The engine seal was something I looked at. The owner took care of the bus. Even when it was parked he went out and aired it out and put cardboard in the windows and around the tires.

Right now I figure replace the exhaust section, check the fuel lines to be sure they aren't leaking, put a battery in and see if I can get it to start.

If it starts, I'll replace all the fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and do a complete tune up and oil change then see if it will go through emissions. There's no signs of rats or rodents being in or around it so the wiring should be about the same as when it was parked.

If it doesn't start, I'll have to figure out what's wrong.

Terry

PS I'm in Mesa. The tow truck driver likes VW and gives good rates: $65 to pick up, and $2 a mile. I wasn't looking forward to pushing the camper out of the back yard over the large gravel, but the driver managed to get his truck in close enough to drag her right out.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
... Standard size for the start battery is Group 42 but almost anything will work.

A 24F is a cheap replacement and the poles are on the correct sides. Great deal on that camper. Congratulations!!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
iprangen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from the East Coast. I'm green with envy in regards to the lack of rust on your new Bus. I don't even remember what "clean" front window sills look like.

Keep the interior stock, its the nicest layout...really!

Applause
fstbckgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it fixed up and cruise N to flagstaff, a good reward once its up and running
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the manifold from Blair and then pulled a stud out of the head trying to put it on. I'm going to do a leak down test on the engine before I spend the time and money putting inserts in the head.

I've been going out in the mornings when it's cool and polishing it with some 3M compound and glaze. So far I've done from the vents on the passenger side around the back to the driver's door hinge.

I picked up an electric buffer my dad bought years ago, and then figured out why he never used the damn thing. It turns too fast to control it. So I'm doing it all by hand.

I also vacuumed out the cab and worked some Armour All into the dash.

The manifold studs are frustrating, but I'm making progress in other areas so I feel good about the camper.

Terry

I'm undecided about what to do with the camper top. The fiberglass is worn and the threads are peeling. I think I could sand the top and brush on a few thin coats of fiberglass. I did that years ago with a sailboat. Right now I'm doing nothing with it.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Helsinki! I've got a '75 Helsinki just 2 months older than yours... great interior layout. It looks like the PO cared for it decently. Change those fuel lines asap!

yuthi'so'coro
David Househead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 Westy's rule. Very Happy
So nice to have the side bench!
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train99 wrote:

I'm undecided about what to do with the camper top. The fiberglass is worn and the threads are peeling. I think I could sand the top and brush on a few thin coats of fiberglass. I did that years ago with a sailboat. Right now I'm doing nothing with it.

Sorry to hear about the exhaust stud issue. Sounds like you're on the right track though.

My top is in need of freshening up also. There are a few threads on here where people just sanded lightly and rolled on Rustoleum with a foam roller. The results were impressive. I don't think you need to add more fiberglass, in fact the result could potentially be messy.
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. If you are in Mesa, and need some good pointers etc..

go see Doug and Fish @ Dougs Buggs N Bunnies in Mesa.. Good folks..

I really miss them out here in PA....

Enjoy it!

*Looking for any Dealer Items from
MIKE GRADY VOLKSWAGEN in South Carolina!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: