Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch 36hp Distributor
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1968KdFWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

Can a Bosch 36hp VJU4BR8 be used without the vacuum can? Like a 010 or 019? What would you time it at, if you could use it without the vacuum?

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting a different result."

1968 Type 1 - Royal Red --- Built: September, 1967
1600 Single Port Engine - F1950480 (VW Exchange) Made January 16th, 1970
113-905-205K
30 PICT-1
Fahrgest.-Nr. 118096544
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

It's similar to a VJ4BR8 (019). set it to 28-32* BDTC @ 3500rpm with the vacuum disconnected.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1968KdFWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn!

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting a different result."

1968 Type 1 - Royal Red --- Built: September, 1967
1600 Single Port Engine - F1950480 (VW Exchange) Made January 16th, 1970
113-905-205K
30 PICT-1
Fahrgest.-Nr. 118096544
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much vacuum it takes to operate the can?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

ALB wrote:

The Vacuum can on these is very easily adjusted, for the last two performance builds I did I set the can to start advancing at 3 inches of vacuum.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
ALB wrote:

The Vacuum can on these is very easily adjusted, for the last two performance builds I did I set the can to start advancing at 3 inches of vacuum.

What dual carbs have you used them with?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
j-dub wrote:
ALB wrote:

What dual carbs have you used them with?

45 Dellorto DRLAs
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
ALB wrote:

How do you adjust it?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

esde wrote:
j-dub wrote:
ALB wrote:

How do you adjust it?

Sorry for the dark picture but here is a pic of one in my car, the vacuum line goes to a t fitting then to both Dellortos. You can see the big nut on the vacuum can, take that off then with a flat blade screw driver you can adjust the spring preload. This adjustment will determine how much vacuum it will take before the advance starts. The large nut has a copper sealing ring, make sure this is tight and in good shape when you put it back together or it will leak.

The total vacuum advance is also adjustable with a double nut on the linkage rod, so if you want 8 degrees or 14 degrees, no problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

Thanks for the info J-dub
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
Thanks for the info J-dub

Your Welcome. It is my favorite SVDA type distributor, I am surprised that more people are not using them.

Jeremy
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

The cast iron VJU(R) 4 BR 8 is also capable of being rebuilt where most of the later SVDA's like the "034" are not good candidates. Depending upon how the BR 8 has been stored, the vacuum canisters are still usable 50 years later.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

Now that the word is out the price of these VJU 4 BR 8 cores is going to go up Rolling Eyes .

There are scads of these 36 hp Beetle distributors out there. I have over 150 cores and I am no where close to cornering the market on them in any sense of the word.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 36hp Distributor Reply with quote

The later Bosch aluminum distributors.....like those used in fuel inected type 4 engines in bus, 411/412/914....and very similar to those used in fuel injected type 3.....and also very similar in casting to the distributor bodies used in carbed engine....and very similar to the 009 casting.....used advance cans that an adjusting screw can easily be added to.

On the 411/412 and 914....some models came with an adjustable advance can. It had a screw with a locknut. Arm # 917. Yes..it was a dual can....advance and retard but the concept is the same.
I have added advance adjustment to numerous advance cans....even the single advance cans. I will post pics by tomorrow. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: