Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding LEDs or other accessories changing amperage
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Adding LEDs or other accessories changing amperage Reply with quote

Edit - subject changed from "doubling amperage" to "changing amperage" in order to make it sound less scary and avoid drawing unnecessary attention.

--------------------

Ooooookay, if you're like me and you want to add a light somewhere, you find a wire that's giving you 12V, you slap a light on it and screw the other end to the nearest frame. After watching some electrical videos, I'm pretty concerned that I've been creating parallel circuits, thus doubling the amperage in some pretty small wires, adding the hazards of blown fuses or overheated wires that could melt and short to the frame, etc.

Here's the specific part of a really nice video "Ohm's law for service techs" I'm talking about. He's teaching circuits by having people tape copper ribbon to cardboard and soldering on components. In this video, he obviously cut the copper ribbon between the + and - leads of the switch and lightbulb, otherwise it wouldn't work of course, but he did it earlier in the video and it's hard to tell by looking. You only need to watch about 90s of the video to understand the demonstration.
https://youtu.be/c588objVBs0?t=6m11s

So I'm curious if this doubling of amperage surprises and concerns anyone else...

The more I learn about circuits the less it makes sense sometimes : (
I'm a software engineer and it's surprisingly challenging for me.

Last edited by jwallis on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

If you added an LED to another circuit that only had a similar LED light on it you would double the current flow, but it would still be very small. If you added an LED to the heater circuit it would barely add any load at all percentage wise.

What you really want to do is find an uncritical circuit if you are going to tap into an existing circuit and be very neat with your wiring. The load from a single LED is pretty much going to be trivial no matter the circuit, but I still wouldn't want it added into an unfused circuit like #30 main supply circuit or the #15 ignition circuit. Hooking it into something with similar usage like the dome lights would be appropriate.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you added an LED to another circuit that only had a similar LED light on it you would double the current flow, but it would still be very small. If you added an LED to the heater circuit it would barely add any load at all percentage wise.

The added load is all I've ever considered, and adding a LED load to almost any circuit in the van wouldn't change much I imagine, but it still seems to double the amperage, right? And if you add let's say 3 led dome lights in this fashion to what was originally a 1A circuit, haven't you just made it 8A now? That's what's concerning...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

The two equations that are of concern here are:

1. V = I*R (V=voltage, I=current, R=resistance)
rearrange to get:
I = V / R
or:
R = V / I

2. Parallel Resistance: R_total = (R_1 * R_2) / (R_1 + R_2)

So... adding LEDs to a circuit that is currently providing 1A.

- Using equation 1. we can solve for the circuits equivalent resistance:
R = V / I becomes R = 12v / 1A and we see that R = 12 ohms

- What is the resistance of the LED?
This one http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1244_138/led-high-power-interior-light-bulb.html
claims 165mA. So, R = 12v / 0.165A => R = 72 ohms (approximate)

- Now lets find the circuits new equivalent resistance using equation 2.
R_new = (12 * 72) / (12 + 72) = 10.28 ohms

- And finally, the circuits new current
I = 12v / 10.28 ohm = 1.167 A

Interesting, the currents add! Note, there is a rounding error and the result should be 1.165 A.

It can be shown and is indeed a fundamental law of circuits (Kirchhoff's current law) that currents in different loops of the circuit add.
I_new = I_original + I_added (for loads added in parallel)

So, add those lights (in parallel) to your hearts content. You are only increasing the total current on the circuit by whatever your light is rated to draw.

I think your confusion may be coming from the fact that if R_original and R_added are equal, you double the current of the circuit.

I find the analogy of circuits to water systems quite useful...
Voltage is like water pressure
Current is like water flow
Resistance is like a restriction in the pipe
chris_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

More practically.. lookup the current draw of whatever device you're adding. All the wires in the path from battery to this device then to ground will be carrying this current.

Figure out the gauge of those wires, lookup a awg/amp/distance wire chart and see if that gauge of wire can support the added amperage (may have to look at what else is on that path).

And make sure the path you're connecting on is fused. Fuses are both meant to protect the wire and the device.

This is why I don't like the idea of just picking a red wire and splicing when you didn't design the system: difficult to find out the rest of the path, then find all devices on that path, then determine if fuses are in the right place (i.e. when gauges change size on a path!)..
But LEDs are super low draw so it's probably the least risky thing you could do Smile
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

I would not randomly tap into a circuit to add an LED even though the LED would not add much of a load. I have had an LED go bad and blow the fuse. If I had tapped into a critical circuit, that bad LED could have left me stranded somewhere. On the side of the road is a bad place to start tracing down a short.

I have added LED's to the stock interior light circuit. and have added LED's to a dedicated fuse block just for auxiliary devices. I have a solar panel with aux batteries though.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
The added load is all I've ever considered, and adding a LED load to almost any circuit in the van wouldn't change much I imagine, but it still seems to double the amperage, right? And if you add let's say 3 led dome lights in this fashion to what was originally a 1A circuit, haven't you just made it 8A now? That's what's concerning...

No. Adding 3 LEDS to a 1 A circuit won't make it 8 A.

Maybe this is clearer, adding the second LED added 59 milliamps, as it was measured in that youtube video. It only happened to double the load in his project because the first LED was also 59 milliamps.

It DOESNT mean that adding an LED always DOUBLES the load, as you seem to think if I'm reading you correctly.

Make sense? That is if I understand your point. Or understand what you misunderstood. But perhaps I misunderstood what you misunderstood.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Simply adding LEDs or other accessories doubling amperage Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
It DOESNT mean that adding an LED always DOUBLES the load, as you seem to think if I'm reading you correctly.

tim_ha wrote:

So, add those lights (in parallel) to your hearts content. You are only increasing the total current on the circuit by whatever your light is rated to draw.

I think your confusion may be coming from the fact that if R_original and R_added are equal, you double the current of the circuit.

Oooookayyy, thank you both so much! That is why everyone was telling me about the load, because the current is still relative to the load. I was failing to make that connection. Typically when you learn about parallel and series resistors they use two of the same size resistor so they talk about doubling and halving the current and apparently that's what stuck in my memory.

Thank you very much everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: