Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Very well done. Now we just need to source the parts for a rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

I am in the process of refreshing my '71 Super Autostick. I have the control valve out, and followed these crystal clear directions for disassembly. Although reassembly was pretty easy, I thought this thread needed a completion to help save future autosticks. So here it goes.

Here is the control valve before anything was done to it other than removing the bracket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After disassembly, my first task was to attempt to source new seals and o-rings. Here is a picture of the complete set (only one of the two 8mm o-rings made the picture). I taped these to my journal book to take to the hardware store

My hardware store had several drawers of o-rings in metric sizes, I found some of them for about $2.

But I wasn't happy with the fitting -- and the hardware store o-rings were not square cut like some of the originals. So I ended up using none of those. I then found the website "The O-Ring Store" and made an attempt to match what is needed. The o-rings arrived in a few days with a tootsie roll included

Here is the manifest. Often the minimum order requires more than one but not that many - the whole order was about $5 plus S&H. The tootsie roll disappeared about 30 seconds after this picture was taken.

I used some of these but not all. In particular, the 32mm thin O-ring was too thick, and the 24mm seal was not perfect either. So I ended up using about half of the original seals and O-rings. Maybe someone else can take better measurements in the future and order better replacements.
So on to the rebuild. I tried to use the same camera angles as sb001. Each photo has the housing and also the pieces that are about to be added in order.
Step 1 is to add three o-rings

Step 2 is to add the check valve and check valve spring to the hole on the left

Before dropping these in, you can snug the check valve into to the spring and add as one.

Here they are resting in the hole - take a notice of the side of the check valve that faces up away from the spring - the two sides of this valve are not the same.

Next secure the diaphragm housing to the valve housing using the two screws that had given sb001 some trouble.

These went in and out pretty easy for me, and my screws did not have any crud like for sb001. But I did use my very long screwdriver to get these in good.
Once your diaphragm housing is in, then drop in the plastic spacer and the seal (I could not source this seal and thus used the original)

Next, it's time to add the diaphragm and support (in one piece - as the sb001 learned the hard way - I would have *definitely* ripped mine too if I didn't read this post!)

This just drops in. Spend a moment to gently tuck the edge of the diaphragm snuggly into the housing.

Next situate the spring and the cover and tighten the four screws.
Now its time to flip the housing on a new side and add the reducing valve and its components. Here they are laid out.

Note that the side of the valve with the small red circle faces up. The spring is sandwiched nicely between two retaining plates. You can snug these three together before dropping into the hole after the valve.
Then you can add the cover, washer, and cap. The washer needs to be pinched to fit within the side groove in the housing thus securing the cover

Before adding the plastic cap, screw the adjusting bolt until 2 threads or so remain visible. You will want to adjust this later once the car is operating to prevent too much or too little clutch grab. Yes, my retaining washer was not all the way in yet - I went back and snuggled it in after taking the picture.

Flip the housing over again to drop in the main valve and its components. Here they are laid out ready to go in.

I dropped the 24mm sealing o-ring in first, using my original because I never came close to sourcing it. This is what it looks like before adding the final seal and the solenoid spring.

You're now ready to install the solenoid. This was the only step that took some effort - but not much. You need to really press down against the spring to thread the four little screws.

I was able to get it in without too much effort - holding one side down with my hand and pushing hard on the screw with the screwdriver with the other hand until we find threads - then twist.
Here is the final product ready to be installed with new vacuum hoses. I left the air filter off, because I still haven't soaked it for cleaning yet.

I hope this might help other complete this job. If anyone can do a better job than I at sourcing the o-rings, then please share what you found.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Nice addendum to the thread Tom- I was lazy and told folks to just put it back together the same way it came apart Very Happy but the pictures and step by step really help.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

fwiw the "crud" on the diaphram housing screws was loctite....thats why they were hard to remove...and to prevent an air leak down the threads (although i think they go into a blind hole where that shouldnt be an issue) dunno, dont have one apart in front of me....
mercmad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Yes that's fine,
when i get a chance I will continue the thread after cleaning everything up and reinstalling.
I only put it in the general discussion forum because there were more cars than just the beetle that got the autostick I thought more people might see it there. If it needs to be moved here that would be fine.

Very True, because Mercedes had it as an option in the 1950's right into the 60's in their ponton and Fintail models. They called it a Hydrak but the components are almost all the same.
The mercedes version differs in one respect, they had an anti porpoising valve in the trunk ,fitted above the diff rubber mount . it cut off the solenoid and prevented the nose of the car going up and down while shifting. Also, under heavy braking it affected the gear shift,in that it stopped it releasing the clutch.
ClaudiaRibas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Hi! I just bought a Ghia 1970 convertible Auto Stick. I am working on it by myself. Watching videos and reading books. I am stuck in the Control Valve. I think I need a new one. Mine is in bad shape. Does anyone know where I can find one? I searched the web an eBay and they have no. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Claudia Ribas
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

ClaudiaRibas wrote:
Hi! I just bought a Ghia 1970 convertible Auto Stick. I am working on it by myself. Watching videos and reading books. I am stuck in the Control Valve. I think I need a new one. Mine is in bad shape. Does anyone know where I can find one? I searched the web an eBay and they have no. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Claudia Ribas
Maybe? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2360690

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

bump

Last edited by crankbait09 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

WAAAAAY late to the party, but this should be a sticky for Auto-stick owners. I dream of my next Super being an autostick and this thread will likely come into play at some point.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagskeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

I have a 68 Autostick, where online can I purchase a new control valve or do I have to rebuild it?
Thanks
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Is your problem mechanical or is the solenoid not functioning? You can only going these by searching the Samba classifieds. Usually a few are for sale here. If not, then one should pop up soon enough.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
WAAAAAY late to the party, but this should be a sticky for Auto-stick owners. I dream of my next Super being an autostick and this thread will likely come into play at some point.

Quite honestly, in my experience the control valve is the last autostick part you should ever have to worry about. Not saying they don't ever fail but AFAIK the one in my car is still the original, going on 54 years now.
I did this whole teardown and rebuild just to prove johnnypan wrong. Razz

wagskeet wrote:
I have a 68 Autostick, where online can I purchase a new control valve or do I have to rebuild it?
Thanks

What's going on with it?

1600 SP engine
wagskeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Thanks
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Um, as I said above, the samba classifieds is the only place other than FaceBook/Craigslist/eBay.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

I can have the orings/etc custom cut. I just need the sizes and then I can put a kit together.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I can have the orings/etc custom cut. I just need the sizes and then I can put a kit together.

I might think you could take apart a decent control valve, measure the seals and o-rings, custom cut a batch of maybe 100 of each, and then sell complete sets on Samba or your website for maybe $30 a set or so.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
heimlich wrote:

I might think you could take apart a decent control valve, measure the seals and o-rings, custom cut a batch of maybe 100 of each, and then sell complete sets on Samba or your website for maybe $30 a set or so.

It's another project for me - that is for sure.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Just encountered this video. He uses a rubber glove to seal various points in the control valve. Creative. This might be increasingly necessary as we go forward.

Link

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Just encountered this video. He uses a rubber glove to seal various points in the control valve. Creative. This might be increasingly necessary as we go forward.

Link

Hmmm! Interesting idea!

BTW I just sourced a spare control valve off the classifieds here, $75 with shipping not too bad... ad said it worked but haven't had a chance to test it yet Very Happy

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick control valve disassembly & inspection Reply with quote

Nice score. Having an extra one may be important as we move forward into the next few decades. I'm also going to source a pair of those rubber gloves to keep on hand. And I like how the youtuber says fixing the electric solenoid is the "easy" part. I wish he would post a video on that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: